[spoilers] True Detective Season 2: Like blue balls in our hearts

Kat

I did think this was a very good episode, well paced and everything interesting, even if we still see a lot of very implausible things happening, like Kitsch getting away from everyone and then randomly Cromwell is there waiting for him in the exact right place.

I think what was implausible was that the kick-ass-ness that allowed him to take down 5 black ops guys disappeared as soon as he left the building? Surely he'd remain cautios until he was either a) sure he was alone or b) somewhere very public?  Still, I actually felt bad for the character he had one flaw (he thought being gay was a problem not the being gay) and it ruined him.

I couldn't help but shout "Damn you Cromwell". Where's Henry when you need him. Tudor fans know what I'm talking about.

As I'd hoped Semyon stepped up and I have a strong feeling a lot of the "justice" is going to come from his hands, not the cops. He still had to deliver a cringeworthy line though.

Am I the only one who thought the two orphaned kids were hispanic? Casper's secretary's complexion does not match that of the kids in the photo.

Totally agree. I though they were the Mayor's kids because of their coloring.

Good ep, continuing the momentum since the shootout.

Paul was nailed on for a tragic death but the coincidence of Cromwell being at the right exit from the tunnels is too much.  The police chief/commissioner could not have known which exit he would take, even assuming he regained consciousness and had cell phone signal in the tunnel.  I didn't recognize the police chief/commissioner, nor most of the other names thrown around, like the AG.  The mayor and Cromwell are the only corrupt officials who made a lasting impression.  It was clear that the conspiracy was about corrupt police, but too hard to retain the names of the various people we saw briefly on screen but not with heavy name attachment.

Paul's tryst with his ex-comrade did not seem to be a set up.  It sounded like Dixon took those photos of him without the ex-comrade knowing and then the police chief/commissioner found the photos in Dixon's apartment after he was killed.  I don't think we've heard yet why Dixon was specifically following Paul, unless it was because Paul was the one investigating the diamonds.

The secretary as Laura is a bit weak.  Why would she become his secretary just to kill him immediately after?  In that case just kill him as a complete stranger and do not risk any suspicion.  And she looks nothing like the photo.

I liked that there were at least some consequences for Ani.  She killed a guy (possibly self defense, but more likely was choking her to unconsciousness rather than death) and kidnapped a woman.  And as she admitted herself, she had been looking all her life for an opportunity to be violent toward a(ny) man.  As we saw with Ani, and with Farrell beating the bully's father and killing the presumed rapist, these detectives misuse their role for a violent outlet of their own anger and frustration.

All of this, but especially the bolded parts.  Iskaral points out some of the inconsistencies that bug me about this season.  I really love some things; others just seem like laziness.

Ani's character arc is one of the things I'm really enjoying.  It's obvious that she is suffering flashbacks as a result of what happened when she was a kid, and what has happened to her at the party.  We see her being promiscuous and making bad choices all because she is suffering as a result of what happened to her as a kid.  And what is really interesting to me is that her killing the man at the party does not relieve her pain; she is still crippled by it.  Her half-assed attempt to seduce Velcoro the first time shows that.  I'm hoping that she and Velcoro find some sort of redemption together.They and VV are the most interesting elements of this show.  And as bad as the writing has been, their performances have been very, very, good.

Don't think it's been posted yet -- Slate has a breakdown of the turgid and convoluted plot so far. And, most helpful to me, zeroes in on what is supposed to happen in the final episode.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/08/03/true_detective_season_two_a_guide_to_the_plot_of_this_confusing_season.html

Even a relatively straightforward summary of this complex-for-complexity's sake plot was exhausting to read.

Jesus that really is a lot. I think I've been blocking out a lot of the LA Riots/Vinci PD side of things in favor of trying to get a handle on the land deal side, and that's really made me gloss over just how absurdly over-complicated parts of it are.

Jesus that really is a lot. I think I've been blocking out a lot of the LA Riots/Vinci PD side of things in favor of trying to get a handle on the land deal side, and that's really made me gloss over just how absurdly over-complicated parts of it are.

Same. It's so over complicated that I only knew about half of the things on that recap. Maybe this will be better on rewatch when you already understand the complications? Half of this would have made a nice streamlined season.

that was pretty incredible.

It was until he said this:

(I want to briefly point out that Bezzerides said that word as “Fife-dom,” pronouncing the first syllable like the last name of “Barney Fife.” It’s actually pronounced “FEEF-dom.” I have no idea if this was a purposeful mispronunciation. Maybe we’re supposed to think that all of the lead characters on True Detective are grappling with concepts they don’t really understand. Maybe Bezzerides was still getting over the Mega-Molly.)

The people in the comments section of that article are a bit annoyed, to say the least. 

It's unfortunate that we're only going to have one more week of this - I've been pretty hard on the show, but I'm going to miss the absurd bits of the show. 

Still think the Ani and Ray get it together bit was a lame cliche. All the futile 'everything is fucked and there is no happy ending for these two people, regardless of what happens to them in the immediate future' stuff (the staring, drinking, staring, trite dialogue, drinking, staring) that preceded it was good. I thought maybe one or both of them might decide to end it, maybe play Russian roulette or something. But I guess they're holding out hope of solving the case and getting some justice.

The part at the start of the episode when she was still a bit out of it and tried to solve her problems and confusion by her usual route of getting in someone's pants was highly credible. That Ray was not cool with taking advantage of someone (who is essentially a colleague) in that state is also true to character for him from what we've seen. I liked that scene. It told you things about both characters.

Still wondering if Jordan has been up to something.

Still wondering if Jordan has been up to something.

I agree - there's been something "off" about her throughout the entire show. I'm pretty sure it's intentional though. Not long to find out.

I think Ani and Velcoro was pretty well handled throughout. Like you said the initial encounter made sense. The second time around they were both two people who know they are in a world of shit. One of them uses sex to deal with problems and the other one usually favours drugs as an escape. I think Velcoro's attitude was there was no way he was taking advantage of her the first time but the second time around he knows he's being taken advantage of and it's her deciding to do so with a straight mind. What I liked about the hook-up was that there was nothing sexy about it - it was just desperate and hopeless. It's interesting how this season has used sex as I'm trying to think of an instant where it has felt like "HBO quota" - most of the uses have set a mood that isn't titilliation and usually has quite a bit of character behind it. The showrunner clearly took some of the Harrelson sex scene criticisms to heart and it's one of the things he's genuinely improved upon.

this is the most shit thing i have ever seen, the only acting performance i can remember as bad as VV is brad pitt in troy.  i have to watch it in 10 minute sections to avoid punching my tv. 

Thank God, Sky atlantic provides you with TV saving ads with the prescribed frequency  :P

Jeez, I thought I was paying attention - i didn't know her name was Jordan. 

I'm sure google has been very busy the past 7 weeks. It's the only way I keep track of character names.

OH YOU

I find it hard to believe it's the most shit thing you have ever seen. If you hate it so much why are you even bothering to keep watching? That's just silly.

cos people keep telling me it gets better, i'm half way through ep 4 and it isn't showing any positive signs yet. 

Archived