Watch, Watched, Watching: You've probably never heard of it.

I loved Blade Runner, but then Film Noire (and all it's descendants) is probably my favourite form. Which reminds me, anyone here seen Brick?

Oh fuck yeah. Love Brick.

When it first came out, someone told me it was... If not based on, at least inspired by, a Hammett novel. Anyone else hear this, or know which one, because I can't figure it out....

Brick is a fantastic movie. It is absolutely brilliant in the fact that it takes a setting and dialogue that is so opposed to one another to begin with and weaves them into a world where it is standard and ordinary by the time the film concludes. The only other film that I have seen that immersed me in an alien setting as much was Dogville.

Oh fuck yeah. Love Brick.

When it first came out, someone told me it was... If not based on, at least inspired by, a Hammett novel. Anyone else hear this, or know which one, because I can't figure it out....

It's got elements of a few, and some Chandler. I wouldn't say it's really a modernization of a specific work in the manner of the Big Lebowski/Big Sleep, more a cut and paste. There are certainly elements of Falcon, especially in the resolution, but there's some Glass Key, High Window, Red Harvest and Little Sister too. Maybe Long Goodbye. And some of the patter is more Thin Man than others.

I'd even say there's some emulation of emulations, a la Chinatown.

Edit: if you want another interesting intersection of the genre, Altman did a 70s version of the Long Goodbye, which was interesting. Gould's persona and Altman's drifting voices were both fitting and jarring. I can never decide if I think it really worked, but It's definitely worth seeing.

It's got elements of a few, and some Chandler. I wouldn't say it's really a modernization of a specific work in the manner of the Big Lebowski/Big Sleep, more a cut and paste. There are certainly elements of Falcon, especially in the resolution, but there's some Glass Key, High Window, Red Harvest and Little Sister too. Maybe Long Goodbye. And some of the patter is more Thin Man than others.

I'd even say there's some emulation of emulations, a la Chinatown.

Edit: if you want another interesting intersection of the genre, Altman did a 70s version of the Long Goodbye, which was interesting. Gould's persona and Altman's drifting voices were both fitting and jarring. I can never decide if I think it really worked, but It's definitely worth seeing.

Awesome, thanks! Yeah, I always found Brick a little "Chandlerian" than Hammett

And I've had the Altman "Long Goodbye" on my to-watch list for like, years, but I've just never got around to it.

Shit, speaking of "The Glass Key", I think I'm gonna watch Millers Crossing, for like the thousandth time.

Awesome, thanks! Yeah, I always found Brick a little "Chandlerian" than Hammett

And I've had the Altman "Long Goodbye" on my to-watch list for like, years, but I've just never got around to it.

Shit, speaking of "The Glass Key", I think I'm gonna watch Millers Crossing, for like the thousandth time.

Cheers. If you've never read them, the John Rebus novels are an interesting twist. Almost as readable as Ellroy without the through-the-looking glass psychosis.

I watched Knights of Badassdom tonight, and it was just as cheesy as I was expecting, but also much more awesome.

"Tis not the size of the young man's blade, but the lust in the thrust by which legends are made!"

The special effects were quite woeful though.

Has anyone seen Luther? I've watched the first couple episodes on Netflix. Idris Elba is fun to watch.

One of my favourite shows. Ruth Wilson as Alice Morgan is a riot. Indira Varma is also pretty awesome as his ex.

I loved A Young Doctor's Notebook. Truth be told it's the only non-Harry Potter thing I've seen from Daniel Radcliffe, and I'll admit I'm impressed. I hope he has a great career.

I saw him in a couple of other things (My boy jack and the Tailor of Panama), but he didn't impress me that much. AYDN has changed that, he's really good. I do wonder how much future he has as a leading man though, but I think he would be a great character actor at the very least.

I just found out season 2 is starting tonight! It's on Ovation, though, a channel I've never heard of and apparently have no way of getting. :bawl:

Awch, that's unfortunate, because the second season is just as good as the first. Perhaps even a bit better. Who knew that Harry Potter would grow up to be such a douche :D

Those eyebrows were just so incredibly distracting in Looper. Ruined it for me. Brick was much better.

Yesterday I completed a Shane Carruth matinee: Primer followed by Upstream Color. It was my second viewing of both films but after seeing the latter at the cinema I was really keen to do a back to back viewing. Fascinating how they both occupy your mind so completely while you're watching but in completely different ways. I was curious to know if Upstream Color, a film that creates an incredible level of discomfort and oppression with sound, would still have the same impact on the small screen. The answer is, with a decent home sound system, yes. It's never going to be as good as that immersive sensation you get in a cinema but it's enough to have the desired effect. It's a beautiful but disturbing film.

Primer is at the other end of the spectrum in terms of sound and vision quality. But then it's not so much about what you see/hear as about what is happening and how/why. On my second time round the events made more sense to me. After watching it I read one of those madly complex timelines that someone has mapped out and it makes A LOT more logical sense to me. In fact, I'm watching it again (third time) right now. Now that I have a much better idea of events I find myself wondering more about the why rather than the how of the film. The utter lack of ethical consideration by the two guys prior to starting their experiments is incredible to me as a scientist. It's only afterwards that they start asking themselves questions about the what ifs.

I recommend a side by side viewing of both films - one which you can make logical sense of, provided you put in enough effort, and one which you cannot understand logically only emotionally.

Luther's awesome, but 1 or 2 were just plain depressing. It's a complimentary comment on those involved, though...the writing/acting is high quality and powerful.

Alice Morgan for me is actually the show's weak point. I just don't believe the actress all that much. I know I am in the minority on this, but I see someone acting, not someone being. Also part of her character is the fact that men are universally attracted to her, and I just don't see it.

I loved Blade Runner, but then Film Noire (and all it's descendants) is probably my favourite form. Which reminds me, anyone here seen Brick?

I really liked Brick. It felt like a film that shouldn't really have worked because of the combination of the film noir and the high school setting, but it worked really well. I agree with some of the other posts that it's better than Looper, which was reasonably good but didn't feel as good as it could have been.

I watched Knights of Badassdom tonight, and it was just as cheesy as I was expecting, but also much more awesome.

"Tis not the size of the young man's blade, but the lust in the thrust by which legends are made!"

The special effects were quite woeful though.

Where did you find this. I have been waiting for this movie for a really long time

Archived