UK Politics: Drawing Priti Patterns

mormont

2 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

You can freeze fresh milk. I’d be tempted to do it, if I had an actual freezer instead of a freezer box in the fridge. My girlfriend is very keen on buying a standalone freezer this weekend.

In Australia all the freezers have sold out (I'm hearing).  

19 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Not really 

So do you believe the Government deliberately did UC half-arsed, not caring about the deaths and misery it caused to society’s more vulnerable?

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

So do you believe the Government deliberately did UC half-arsed, not caring about the deaths and misery it caused to society’s more vulnerable?

I think the government's position will be that if businesses, especially big businesses, need help then they will provide it and bend over backwards to accommodate them.

Universal Credit is about helping disadvantaged and vulnerable people, so it is of little interest to them.

The  suggestion of using local shops rather than supermarkets is good.  People do seem to clear supermarket shelves, whereas in my experience, local butchers and greengrocers and farm shops are very well-stocked. 

19 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think the government's position will be that if businesses, especially big businesses, need help then they will provide it and bend over backwards to accommodate them.

Universal Credit is about helping disadvantaged and vulnerable people, so it is of little interest to them.

Exactly. If the aid works as intended and keeps people and businesses from bankruptcy, then good. But it begs the question why UC has been a life-ruining fiasco for years, contributing to poverty and death.

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

There were a number of rumours going around last night that we were all going to be locked in our houses by an armed guard by the weekend. Government has moved to quash a lot of those rumours 

Facebook etc and the people posting on it isn’t helping. Rumours from lockdowns to aparently gargling warm water, salt and vinegar preventing infection.

I've just seen rows and rows of pasta, nappies, washing up liquid, kitchen roll (no toilet roll though), baby wipes and rice in local shop.

Rumours that some schools are saying they will only stay open for children where both parents are key workers, pricks. 

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Anyone else concerned that the same people who’ll allegedly be keeping businesses and people from going bankrupt are the same people who rolled out universal credit?

Very. I'll believe them about the grants when the money is in my account.

Given the jumps in cases we are seeing are closely mirroring Spain and not far off Italy numbers, a UK-wide lockdown of the kind in those countries seems inevitable in the coming period. I'd be surprised if we got to the end of March without it being proposed and much into April before it's enacted on. Some hospitals are reporting being almost overwhelmed already, and we're still in the earliest stages of the outbreak.

The situation in Edinburgh appears to be so bad that the NHS has asked ordinary members of the public to volunteer at hospitals to help. The situation in London seems pretty bad as well. The number of people in the UK that I know have had the virus is now at six (not in the same town, yet) and growing. The first person I knew to get the virus has had a relapse and is still not out of the woods after almost a week since symptoms first appeared (based on other cases, she may have this pattern for another week or so).

There are positive signs out of China and South Korea, including secondary outbreaks that they've managed to identify and get under control quickly. Given the situation in those countries was very desperate just two months ago, that seems to be a faster-than-expected turnaround. Some towns in China have lifted their lockdowns and local travel and work is starting up again, tentatively (although granted all news out of China needs to be looked at with some scepticism). Way too early to be getting too optimistic yet.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Me neither...

Could be worse; I spent today filling up the wine racks with red wine, on seeing the shelves start to empty. A few pricy bottles (Chateauneuf de Pape) from Majestic as well as the cheaper supermarket shiraz and malbec. 

Yay!
Our Prime Minister has finally decided that knowledge may be better than ignorance after all, so we're going to ramp up testing.
About f***ing time!
That pealing back was by far the biggest mis-stwp of this whole thing.
When you have the data, you can I reduce measures at the right time. With testing, you can send people back to work knowing they're healthy, or send them back in knowing that they've had it, and should now be immune.

Archived