Watch, Watched, Watching: Easter Edition

ithanos

8 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Road to Perdition? Saving Private Ryan? Catch Me If You Can? The Burbs??

You don’t like any of his movies?

Have watched these two and liked them. One has Leo (one of my fav), so my dislike of Hanks didn't detract from enjoying the film.

Private Ryan has a huge cast, so once again i was able to enjoy the movie overall even with Hanks in it. ;)

1 minute ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Have watched these two and liked them. One has Leo (one of my fav), so my dislike of Hanks didn't detract from enjoying the film.

Private Ryan has a huge cast, so once again i was able to enjoy the movie overall even with Hanks in it. ;)

Road to Perdition is really good. It might not change your mind on Hanks, but I highly recommend it. 

10 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Sorcerer stone and chamber of secrets are both really good kids movies. Sorcerer Stone is my personal favorite of all of the films

Yeah i can quote far too many limes from the first film (and have done, on several ocassions, on this forum. With you actually, come to think of it :lol: )

Also, it is Philosopher’s Stone. American publishers changed it because apparently Americans are too dumb to know the magical legend of the Philosopher’s stone.

I watched Dark Matter recently and fuck, every time this shit happens I just don't get it, I just do not understand how American network TV works and why good shows get cancelled. Like damn that was a really really good show. Good enough I'll probably rewatch it at some point even knowing now that it will never reach any sort of conclusion.

7 hours ago, Poobah said:

I watched Dark Matter recently and fuck, every time this shit happens I just don't get it, I just do not understand how American network TV works and why good shows get cancelled. Like damn that was a really really good show. Good enough I'll probably rewatch it at some point even knowing now that it will never reach any sort of conclusion.

That was cancelled for the same reason SyFy cancelled The Expanse - they didn't own all of the rights to the show, and weren't making anything on the streaming rights.

16 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Road to Perdition? Saving Private Ryan? Catch Me If You Can? The Burbs??

You don’t like any of his movies?

You left out Bachelor Party!!!

As to the Harry Potter stuff, Ive also not seen nor read any of it,

Does anyone subscribe to SHUDDER that has any recommendations? It's got a free 30 day trial going on so I signed up to watch 3 from Hell last night. It was alright, maybe a bit longer than necessary but you'll have that.

I binged the first season (only 8 episodes) of Babylon Berlin over the weekend. I hadn't heard of it before. It's a seemingly very high budget German TV show set in Berlin 1929. I sorta feel like maybe there's a bit too many different plot lines going on, but overall it seems quite good.

I imagine at a certain point it'll descend into being all about Nazis and get super depressing. But right now the overarching conflicts are SPD vs. KPD vs. conservatives and Stalinists vs. Trotskyists and its all very entertaining. I do wish I cared about more of the characters though; I'm only really rooting for Charlotte, the female lead.

I've just tried to watch the stage show of fleabag. It was one of the most cringingly bad things I've ever seen. I assume it would be better on stage, but no change of location or atmosphere could render it not shit. 

26 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I've just tried to watch the stage show of fleabag. It was one of the most cringingly bad things I've ever seen. I assume it would be better on stage, but no change of location or atmosphere could render it not shit. 

Do you like the show?

On a separate note, I watched Danny Boyles latest movie Yesterday , the movie where a guy ends up in an alternate universe where The Beatles never existed, so he decides to get rich singing all their songs himself. 

What I'll say about it, is that it is so horribly Richard Curtis, which these days is not a compliment, but that it was somehow saved by really likable performances from all the leads (not Ed Sheeran, who cannot act which we all know by now) and I guess Danny Boyle did something to make it less shit. I did actually enjoy it quite a lot, though there are a ton of serious problems if you start to think about the movie in any great depths.

Like.. what happened to the Beatles (it is revealed a bit), what are all the other knock on consequences of there being no Beatles (there being no Oasis was a funny take actually), does there being no Beatles change music and society? Clearly not according to this movie. Also Ed Sheeran exists still, and I'm sure he wouldn't be a thing without the Beatles. 

There's also the way the Beatles are deified in this movie, which is fine by me because I really like everything they ever did and if you are going to treat a band like Gods, its not so bad if it's them. But it is kinda cringy, and if you don't think they are the dogs bollocks then you would really get irritated by this movie. The idea that singing Hey Jude in 2019 is going to change the world is kinda odd. In reality most people would probably shrug their shoulders and think it sounded old fashioned.

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Do you like the show?

I loved the tv show, I think it got an absurd amount of hype, but that is the problem of the press, not the show. 

The stage show was just the most cringe thing I've seen in years. 

8 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Does anyone subscribe to SHUDDER that has any recommendations? It's got a free 30 day trial going on so I signed up to watch 3 from Hell last night. It was alright, maybe a bit longer than necessary but you'll have that.

I don’t have Shudder but I took a look at their movie list. They have some good ones:

The House of the Devil, Mandy, Oldboy, The Wailing, VHS 2(worth it for the Safe Haven story), The Void, Southbound, Train to Busan, In the Mouth of Madness. 

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

I don’t have Shudder but I took a look at their movie list. They have some good ones:

The House of the Devil, Mandy, Oldboy, The Wailing, VHS 2(worth it for the Safe Haven story), The Void, Southbound, Train to Busan, In the Mouth of Madness. 

Some good picks. In the Mouth of Madness is one of my favorite underrated Carpenter movies. Definitely recommend that one. Especially if you’re into Lovecraft type stuff. 

I see the French movie Revenge is also on there. I liked that one a lot. Heathers is a classic. If you like Oldboy the other 2/3 of Chan-wook’s unofficial “Vengeance Trilogy” Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and Lady Vengeance are on there. Oldboy is the best of the three, but the other two are worth watching. Especially Lady Vengeance. 

Had the pleasure of watching Rocketman and it was my favorite musical since Jersey Boys.

If you enjoy Eltons music you'll love this. They covered many of his great songs and all along the way they gave context for where and how many of the songs were conceived or inspired.

It really is a testament to the volume of this man's work when I imagine he could of done a complete 2nd movie of his songs not in this movie and it would work just as well.

Highly recommend, I would love seeing this as a live theatre musical as well.

Catching up on TV from last year, I finished watching the final season of Jessica Jones. It was good but I had slightly mixed feelings about it, I thought the serial killer made a great villain and it was interesting to see Jessica struggle with someone with no powers but a lot of ingenuity. I was less keen on the other subplots in the season, after a while every single character repeatedly making terrible decisions gets a bit repetitive. I think the series never managed to recapture the brilliance of the first season. This is also the last of the Marvel Netflix shows, I think it is a bit of a pity they all got cancelled since at their best they were much more interesting than most other superhero TV shows out there, even if they tended to be inconsistent.

Has anyone watched Tales From the Loop yet? Its recently avaiable on Amazon Prime. After doing a Google images search on Swedish artist Simon Stålenhag I'm thinking, yeah I'd be interested in watching a Cloverfield style series in these worlds.   

18 minutes ago, ithanos said:

Has anyone watched Tales From the Loop yet? Its recently avaiable on Amazon Prime. After doing a Google images search on Swedish artist Simon Stålenhag I'm thinking, yeah I'd be interested in watching a Cloverfield style series in these worlds.   

There's a short thread about it here:

I haven't watched it yet, but it does sound intriguing.

17 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Had the pleasure of watching Rocketman and it was my favorite musical since Jersey Boys.

If you enjoy Eltons music you'll love this. They covered many of his great songs and all along the way they gave context for where and how many of the songs were conceived or inspired.

It really is a testament to the volume of this man's work when I imagine he could of done a complete 2nd movie of his songs not in this movie and it would work just as well.

Highly recommend, I would love seeing this as a live theatre musical as well.

The majority of the songs were picked/placed for the way they suited the narrative rather than because it was the point in time where they were conceived. Both Elton John and the...i want to say the director, have described it more as a musical fantasy than a biopic.

Doesn’t make it any less of an enjoyable film though, in fact it perhaps makes it more enjoyable. I particularly liked the Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting sequence.

Taron Egerton did a very good job as Elton John too. 

A stage musical would be fun i think, i would like to see that. 

Archived