Watch, Watched, Watching: Easter Edition

ithanos

Watched Raiders of the Lost Ark with my parents tonight. We have different taste in movies, of course, and went with a classic feel-good popcorn flick. Googling it showed that it came out literally on my birthday (June 15 1981). Still one of the most entertaining movies of all time in my opinion. Holds up pretty well for a 38 year old if I do say so myself!

3 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Watched Raiders of the Lost Ark with my parents tonight. We have different taste in movies, of course, and went with a classic feel-good popcorn flick. Googling it showed that it came out literally on my birthday (June 15 1981). Still one of the most entertaining movies of all time in my opinion. Holds up pretty well for a 38 year old if I do say so myself!

What’s interesting about Indiana Jones films is, Temple of Doom aside, the films would have the same resolution even if he stayed at home grading student papers.

6 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:
23 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The majority of the songs were picked/placed for the way they suited the narrative rather than because it was the point in time where they were conceived. Both Elton John and the...i want to say the director, have described it more as a musical fantasy than a biopic.

Okay this makes more sense to me now as it didn't feel like it was strictly following his bio.

It's just wonderful as it is anyhow. 

This is the one song I wished they could've worked into the format. Unless I somehow missed it? 

5 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

It was on TV on Friday. We watched it as it's a classic. Temple of Doom was a bit of a comedown after that.

I had been craving some subtitled scandi murder drama so we watched Deadwind, which is a 12 part murder investigation with an environmental twist. It's Finnish. I really like watching things with subtitles as it forces me to pay attention. It's a solid crime drama - would recommend if you like that sort of thing and want something to binge (Netflix). 

I've been weighing my options for viewing The Shield and settled on just buying the complete series set. Started the first episode yesterday. Great ending to the pilot.

Also watched the first episode of Versailles, with Athelstan as Louis XIV. Not bad. I'm kind of a francophile, which helps turning a blind eye to the faults of the episode.

45 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I've been weighing my options for viewing The Shield and settled on just buying the complete series set. Started the first episode yesterday. Great ending to the pilot.

Great show. You’re in for quite a ride...

Watched a strange middle ages film, The Reckoning, which wasn't terrible, but wasn't good either, it reminded me that Paul Bettany never had the career I expected him to have.  Also watched a truly terrible horror film, The Prince of Darkness, where except for the slumming Donald Pleasence every single "actor" was bad, bad even by the standards of bad B horror movies bad.  

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Well the usual Easter Indiana Jones BBC showings meant that I watched the first 3 and then on the 4th day did Kingdom of Crystal Skull arise to haunt my dreams and attempt to destroy the Indy legacy forever 

I was confused by this because the first film was shown on Friday, right? Then the third one was on Monday. I didn't notice what they did in between. But it bothers me that they didn't just do: Fri 1, Sat 2, Sun 3, Mon 4.

38 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Also watched a truly terrible horror film, The Prince of Darkness, where except for the slumming Donald Pleasence every single "actor" was bad, bad even by the standards of bad B horror movies bad.  

Definitely the weakest of Carpenter’s “Apocalypse Trilogy”

1 minute ago, Nictarion said:

Definitely the weakest of Carpenter’s “Apocalypse Trilogy”

Much, much weaker. Everything about it was terrible, including the direction. I can't really see that much relationship between the 3 movies that they should even be called a trilogy.  The Thing is a legit good B movie, I liked Mouth of Madness but can see it would not be to a lot of people's taste.    

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Great show. You’re in for quite a ride...

It's my next ride after Sopranos (almost finished with season 5). I've seen through season 2 but my wife hasn't seen any of it and I want to watch the whole thing. I love a lot of things that Shawn Ryan has done so this is right up my alley. 

34 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Has anyone been watching the new Netflix series Run with Domhnall Gleeson? Want to know if it is worth it :) 

Haven’t seen it but it’s HBO isn’t it, not Netflix?

Watched Black Earth Rising, the Hugo Blick miniseries on Netflix from last year. There's a number of tensions about its premise it never quite resolves, from never really dealing with the fact that this is a show that is explicitly about the appropriatness or otherwise of Western criminal courts being involved in African war crime trials made by a white British man, to the odd clash between sensitive personal and political drama based around the aftermath of the Rwandan genocide being mixed with more lurid, spy-filmy developments, but taken on its own merits it's still a very good show. Begins a bit clunkily because Blick just has so much to set up that it's not subtle at all, and throughout he is clearly wrestling with the urge to keep complicating things, but mostly he hauls it in and delivers a really solid series. Visually arresting and a great grasp of tone and tension, the acting is off-the-charts good for the most part, and while it never becomes a really subtle show some of the earlier clunky-ish setups do pay off in tidy, low-key ways later on.

With this and Shadow Line, Blick definitely has an ATG series in him though neither one actually reaches there quite (The Shadow Line has some of the best TV I've ever seen in it, but the ending falls just a liiitle short and unfortunately came out shortly after a film that mocked its exact premise coming out which undercut some of its drama). The Honourable Woman is his best reviewed work so far so I'll have to watch it to see if that's it, but even if not, it'll be worth paying attention to anything he comes up with in future.

8 hours ago, Astromech said:

Also watched the first episode of Versailles, with Athelstan as Louis XIV. Not bad. I'm kind of a francophile, which helps turning a blind eye to the faults of the episode.

I loved the Versailles series! History inexactly served or not! :)   Maybe I'll rewatch, hmmmm. Though I am on the James Bond kick, but maybe I've come to the end of that for a while.

5 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I loved the Versailles series! History inexactly served or not! :)   Maybe I'll rewatch, hmmmm. Though I am on the James Bond kick, but maybe I've come to the end of that for a while.

Costumes are beautiful and the main cast is pretty charming, but it's mostly pretty bad melodrama. Watched every minute of it, of course, but it's definitely on the bad end of the scale. Especially the last season. Guilty pleasure watching, I suppose. 

Paused my Miyazaki watch through to start  watching Community, which I've seen individuals episodes of before but never really followed it consecutively. Good stuff. Half way through S2. Is it weird that the bit that made me laugh loudest (so far) was Donald Glover shortly after Nana starts tanning Britta's hide? He's so good at histrionic anguish!

Better Call Saul remains amazing. Westworld is fun and not too tricksy this time around (but a bit tricksy is good). Homeland... ugh, just waiting for it to finish out of some sort of misplaced desire to see it through; latest episode was dire. 

34 minutes ago, Ran said:

Paused my Miyazaki watch through to start  watching Community, which I've seen individuals episodes of before but never really followed it consecutively.

I adored the first three seasons of Community.  Definitely the most inventive/creative TV comedy I've ever seen, so many genius episodes.  Stopped watching by season 4 partly because Harmon left and partly because I kept on forgetting when it was on (the delay til February didn't help).  Never got back into it even after Harmon returned, but now that it's on Netflix that definitely goes to the top of my queue - curious to see how the last 3 seasons turned out, but also excited to rewatch the first three.

Archived