Favourite "comic book" movies

Which Tyler

So, what's your favourite "comic book" movie - whether it's just a "Top 10"; or you want to gives us a lecture on what your favourite is and why - anything goes.

Are you a Superman Classicist? or a X-rated Deadpooler?
"Realistic" Unbreakable fan? or Cartoonish Lego Bat?
Dark Knight or Incredibles; Watchmen or Spiderverse?

Yes, it's lockdown, and I'm bored now.

This is funny because I was just thinking about how much I enjoy certain superhero films this afternoon and wondering how I would rank them. I don’t read comics, so my exposure is purely the cinematic and/television portrayals.

For pure childhood nostalgia, because my mam watched them so frequently growing up, it has to be the Christopher Reeve Superman films. I still like to have them on in the background whenever I see them in Channel 5. They’re kind of comforting to me.

After some consideration, i guess i would say I’m a Spiderman girl. Growing up, I loved the Tony Maguire spiderman films, well, the first and second. Something about them really captured my attention. I think having such cool villains in The Green Goblin and Doc Oc helped. I also had the...i think PS2 game, which exposed me to more of the spiderman villain gallery, like Scorpion, Vulture and Shocker (or whatever his name is).

Similarly, I enjoyed the Andrew Garfield iteration, though it was of poorer quality and ultimately i’m glad they reset.

And now there is Tom Holland as Spiderman and I just love these films. So much fun, Holland clearly loves the role, and there is generally a good balance of humour to plot. The supporting cast are all great too, be it the villains, MJ and his other classmates, Aunt May (though it took some adjusting after the old lady Aunt May in Raimi’s version) or the Stark industries stuff, it all just works for me. 

So yeah, reflecting it seems that Spiderman is my favourite. Some other recent highlights for me: Captain Marvel, Thor Ragnorak, Guardians of the Galaxy.

Batman isn’t a franchise i ever really got into so I’ve only seen some of the recent iterations there.

The first Sin City is still my #1. Logan is way up there, too. I tend to prefer the dark and disturbed antiheroes. Although, I do occasionally like some of the sillier stuff like Thor: Ragnarok, which is probably my favorite from the MCU. 

I can't pick just one, so lets try this:

Best Batman film: The Dark Knight

Best Superman film: Superman 2

Best Spider-man film: Spider-Man 2 

Best X-men film: X2: X-Men United

Best Wolverine film: Logan

Favorite MCU film: Captain America: Winter Soldier

Best non-DC/Marvel superhero film: Robocop

9 hours ago, Ran said:

Best non-DC/Marvel superhero film: Robocop

Good call, especially as, ultimately, my favourite changes depending on my mood.

Favourite DCU: Dark Knight > Deadpool > Lego Batman

Favourite MCU: Ragnarok > Winter Soldier > Iron Man 1

Favourite Sony: Spiderverse > Spiderman 1 > Kickass (that was Sony wasnt it?)

Favourite pre-CGI: Superman 2 > The Crow > Road to Perdition

Favourite "comedic" other: Incredibles >Men In Black > Adèle Blanc-Sec

Favourite "serious" other: Unbreakable > Hugo > V for Vendetta

My favourite superhero movies are the ones that seem to get the tone and the essence of the character right, whilst also adding an individual voice.

So for me that’s Spider-Man 2. Raimi really got the character more than anyone who’s attempted it since, and it really chimed with the version I had in my head. Add in that Raimi is just a great director sometimes, and the Octo arms operating theatre scene which is pure Raimi and I’m sold.

The best comic book movie is Oldboy.

But going by superhero movies, I've got a pretty clear top 5:

1) Into the Spider-verse, because let's face it, it just is, isn't it? Sheer joy, and it's beautiful too.
2) Kick-Ass. Something about this film broke my brain.
3) Incredibles. It's the Fantastic Four movie we never got and, like Spider-verse, leans into the sheer joy and wonder of superheroes.
4) Logan. Does the opposite. Stark and heartbreaking. But still a hell of a lot of fun.
5) The Dark Knight: Best movie villain performance ever.

Shoutout to the Matrix which is doing too many other things- cyberpunk, Asian-action homage- to be in the list but which is also clearly working in the traditions of a superhero origin.

It's a shame because Superman is my favourite superhero but even though I like both neither Superman the Movie nor Man of Steel really come close top my top 5.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

The best comic book movie is Oldboy.

But going by superhero movies, I've got a pretty clear top 5:

1) Into the Spider-verse, because let's face it, it just is, isn't it? Sheer joy, and it's beautiful too.
2) Kick-Ass. Something about this film broke my brain.
3) Incredibles. It's the Fantastic Four movie we never got and, like Spider-verse, leans into the sheer joy and wonder of superheroes.
4) Logan. Does the opposite. Stark and heartbreaking. But still a hell of a lot of fun.
5) The Dark Knight: Best movie villain performance ever.

Shoutout to the Matrix which is doing too many other things- cyberpunk, Asian-action homage- to be in the list but which is also clearly working in the traditions of a superhero origin.

It's a shame because Superman is my favourite superhero but even though I like both neither Superman the Movie nor Man of Steel really come close top my top 5.

Shame on me for forgetting The Incredibles. Such a well done film, i never grow tired of it. I love Syndrome as a villain. I also thought the sequel, while not quite matching the first, was also a very good, utterly joyous film. 

I may need to go and watch these again!

I like most of them when I stop to think about it.  Most of them that I'm aware of anyway. 

Picking a favorite would be hard. 

My favorite now is the Netflix Daredevil show.  Daredevil is in the conversation for my favorite comic book and they did a really good job on that show.  I had come near to swearing off comic book movies/shows after the Affleck Daredevil.  I avoided the Netflix show for a long time but eventually broke down and watched it.  That show might be my favorite comic book movie or show ever.

Still...Superman 2 had a profound effect on my life as a kid.  I would have been seven or eight watching that.  Can anything fairly compete?  One interesting thing, to me anyway, is I hate Superman as a comic book character but I love Superman movies.

I love pretty much all Batman movies I have seen.  I'm not sure I could pick a favorite.  The Nolans and the Burtons would rate much higher than the others but even the trash has something fun or funny to enjoy.  I also love Batman in comics...Detective Comics is an all time favorite.

I am behind on my MCU movies.  I have liked almost every one I have seen so far, though.  I like all the Thor movies.  I like Spider-man movies except Spider-man 3.  That's the Venom one, right?  The X-Men movies I have seen were all good to some extent.  Iron Man movies are good.  Captain America movies are good despite Captain America.  Avengers movies are pretty good to.  I haven't seen any Hulk movies. 

I love Incredibles.  I love Unbreakable...but I haven't seen the sequels.  I love all the Matrix moves even if the first was the clear best.  I love V for Vendetta.  I love Watchmen but haven't seen the show yet.  I love Road to PerditionSin City is good.  Ghost World is good.  Crow is great.   

I'm forgetting many I'm sure.  I stop here with a mention of the worst comic book movie I have ever seen...Polar.   

7 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Dammit - how didmI manage to forget it when putting my list together - especially having mentioned them in the OP!

Oh, and thread title is for "comic book" movies, not just superheroes, and not even just movies adapted from comic books

10 hours ago, Ran said:

Self-quoting because I just  realized that I liked the second film in pretty much every franchise I named, which says something about origin stories I guess. (Best superhero origin film: Superman)

If looking at non-superhero comic adaptations, Sin City and A History of Violence would be my picks, but I've not seen Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and it's been too long since I've seen Ghost World and American Splendor, both which could bear mentioning.

16 hours ago, Ran said:

Best non-DC/Marvel superhero film: Robocop

Could you not have said Robocop 2 and The Wolverine for 2nd film consistency?

Many of my favorites have been mentioned, Spiderman 2, Ragnarok, The Dark Knight, Winter Soldier, etc, but one of my favorites is missing.      No one mentioned The Rocketeer.   It really feels like a comic book brought to life and has great cast, especially Timothy Dalton as Neville Sinclair.    And it has Jennifer Connelly.    

8 minutes ago, Leofric said:

Many of my favorites have been mentioned, Spiderman 2, Ragnarok, The Dark Knight, Winter Soldier, etc, but one of my favorites is missing.      No one mentioned The Rocketeer.   It really feels like a comic book brought to life and has great cast, especially Timothy Dalton as Neville Sinclair.    And it has Jennifer Connelly.    

Oh, shit. Yes! Right up there with RoboCop. Wonderful film, charming performances from the cast, terrific set pieces.

Unless I'm forgetting something, my top 15 movies based n graphic novels.... I left out Marvel & DC movies:

1-Road to Perdition... 2- V for Vendetta... 3- From Hell... 4- Watchmen... 5- Atomic Blonde... 6-300... 7- Whiteout... 8- Dredd... 9-Losers... 10- 30 Days of Night ... 11-Sin City... 12- Oldboy... 13- A History of Violence... 14- Red... 15- Cowboys and Aliens

Archived