Favourite "comic book" movies

Which Tyler

A History of Violence is definitely the best, and said to be far superior to the comic book.

I do like Road to Perdition and From Hell as well. Ghost World is also good. Weird Science, is worth a mention, that takes its name from an old comic magazine although I don’t think any of the story is from there.

On 5/26/2020 at 1:45 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

No particular order

Dark Night

Watchmen

Sin City

Based on reading other posts yeah I gotta add Atomic Blonde and Road to Perdition to these.

I also had no Idea RtP was part of this genre.

On 5/26/2020 at 11:34 PM, john said:

A History of Violence is definitely the best, and said to be far superior to the comic book.

I do like Road to Perdition and From Hell as well. Ghost World is also good. Weird Science, is worth a mention, that takes its name from an old comic magazine although I don’t think any of the story is from there.

History of Violence is very good.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm 

Many Batman movies love talking about the death of the parents, but B:MotP was the only Batman movie where we see Bruce Wayne confessing at the grave of his parents that he feels guilt for being happy after developing strong enough romantic feelings for someone that he contemplates moving on with his life and not becoming the Caped Crusader. 

Growing up I would have said Tim Burton's Batman. Don't generally watch a whole lot of comic book movies. Prior to Covid 19 I had seen almost none of the MCU. (Guardians of the galaxies being the exception)Now the family has gotten through most in order. Black Panther will be viewed tomorrow.

On 6/4/2020 at 4:49 PM, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm 

Many Batman movies love talking about the death of the parents, but B:MotP was the only Batman movie where we see Bruce Wayne confessing at the grave of his parents that he feels guilt for being happy after developing strong enough romantic feelings for someone that he contemplates moving on with his life and not becoming the Caped Crusader. 

Add to that that the villain is basically a mirror of what Bruce would have become if he was consumed by vengeance to the point of just murdering those he blames for his parents' death. Heck, the movie even managed to make this random love story with this never before or after mentioned love interest work by how deeply they tied it into his inner woes and the narrative of the movie. Would have loved to see more of Andrea outside the movie than this tiny cameo in the Justice League finale.

Admittedly, the TAS universe was just mindboggingly effective with its movies and spin-offs. "Return of the Joker" I could easily rate as equal to "Mask of the Phantasm". It has much of the same strengths as MotP has:

Spoiler

My favorite part is the mirror of Bruce and Terry's respective fights against the Joker. In Bruce's fight the Joker played horrific mindgames with him that put him at a severe disadvantage when going berserk after him. In Terry's fight it was Terry playing mindgames with the Joker, causing him to go berserk and slip up. All this to emphasize that he as a different Batman can do things differently and at times more effectively, exchanging training and intelligence with being far more mentally adjusted and perceptive to emotions. For crying out loud, Terry broke the Joker by ridiculing him! And in turn the movie ending with Bruce reconnecting with Tim and Barbara was a perfect conclusion to his character development, with Terry having caused him to reflect on how his cynicism has driven away all the people he holds dear and making an effort to rectify things.

After watching "the last days of american crime" it certainly isn't that one! Af ilm that would have been fine with the final hour but was tedious with the inclusion of the first 90 minutes. Michael Pitt just kept it watchable but everyone else was paper-thin. I haven't read the comic but based on what I've read of Remender I can see how his DNA could lead to the film we got - he generally has good SF hooks and a lot of chaotic action but the characterisation often comes more from internal monologues/captions than what his characters say or do. And again he usually works with incredibly talented artists. I'd still be very open to them adapting other work by him though eg "Black Science" and "Low" but I can see why this film was "cheaper" to make.

In general I'm more a fan of the iconic superhero adaptations although I can appreciate a well executed adaptation of an indy book. I guess for me it's the quality of the adaptation as much as the quality of the film so if it's a good film based on a comic I've never read then the impact is less and I tend to consider it a "good film". If it's an indy comic I'm familiar with then more often than not it disappoints. I really enjoyed "the losers" and "30 days of night" primarily for the artwork and while the films were decent they completely lost that aspect. In that sense "into the spider-verse" is hard to top because it can incorporate the artistic style into the film.

8 hours ago, red snow said:

After watching "the last days of american crime" it certainly isn't that one!

Agreed... the movie should have been at least 45 mins shorter... just a convoluted mess... 

I need to watch Snowpiercer from beginning to end... I've only seen bits here and there... and I gotta be honest, I friggin' hated the Rocketeer....lol

4 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Agreed... the movie should have been at least 45 mins shorter... just a convoluted mess... 

I need to watch Snowpiercer from beginning to end... I've only seen bits here and there... and I gotta be honest, I friggin' hated the Rocketeer....lol

What devilry is this?

I can't reference this as comics I don't think, because I didn't read them, I'll just base off of the movie itself.

The Dark Knight. Iron Man. Winter Soldier. GOTG. The first X-men movie (loved them as cartoons growing up)

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2020 at 9:19 AM, Ran said:

but I've not seen Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

This happened to turn up on Netflix in Sweden recently, and I finally watched it ... and, jeez, what an insane thing that I have not seen it before despite it being a decade old. For sheer joyous translation of the comics medium to film, there's really nothing that comes close to this except maybe Sin City. Really inspired.

Probably need to watch it again, but I really disliked Scott Pilgrim. Seemed to me like the ultimate execution of style over substance. I love everything else Edgar Wright has ever done.

Its funny because I do like Sin City for exactly the reason Ran mentions, a pure translation of comic book to screen. Maybe just because I haven’t read the Scott Pilgrim books.

10 minutes ago, john said:

Probably need to watch it again, but I really disliked Scott Pilgrim. Seemed to me like the ultimate execution of style over substance.

Possibly. To be honest, I've never really thought of Wright as a particularly stylish director, but this blew me away. It felt like the love child of Kung Fu Hustle and Speed Racer.  Two still images that really made me realize how sharp Wright really was was  this image and its use of negative space, and .... gosh, I can't find a screen grab of the other, but it was just this beautifully composed image with Scott in the right foreground, Ramona in the left background, and the slash of the kitchen across the screen.

I love everything else Edgar Wright has ever done.

Mostly ditto. I thought Baby Driver was underwhelming with some real pacing and tone issues with the script, however winning the performances and action staging was, but Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are stone-cold classics. I suspect Baby Driver's issue was the fact that it was the first film Wright wrote alone. He needs -- or at least needed -- someone else to counter-balance him.

Its funny because I do like Sin City for exactly the reason Ran mentions, a pure translation of comic book to screen. Maybe just because I haven’t read the Scott Pilgrim books.

That may be it. The Pilgrim books are a bit oddball in that they're basically shonen-style manga but with a western setting and bent, riddled with pop culture and video game references, all while presenting the love life of this rudderless loser as a series of heroic trials. The banal meets the epic. It's a fascinating mash-up as a comic series, and I think the film really conveys the bones of it quite well.

Though, I will say that the ending felt a bit perfunctory. Something about the pacing there wasn't as good as the earlier portions. OTOH, loved the cast all around, and I have to say the film's rendition of Metric's "Black Sheep" is probably better than the original, down to Brie Larson's vocals. Maybe it's just the fact that there's a darker edge to the arrangement and vocals, or the way it's contextualized in the film. (Fun trivia I did not know until poking around: apparently her character, Envy, was visually inspired by Metric's lead singer in the comics.)

I found Scott Pilgrim to be mostly underwhelming, for the reason that it seemed to be trying so hard to make me like it, to feel like I should be impressed by its visuals and clever layer of aesthetics, that it forgot to get me invested in the characters or make me like them, and I didn't like them. 

Ok thats not true, Chris Evans is brilliant in the movie, and so is Brandon Routh.. actually a lot of its supporting cast is great to be fair. Its just the central core of the movie left me cold. 

9 hours ago, Ran said:

Though, I will say that the ending felt a bit perfunctory. Something about the pacing there wasn't as good as the earlier portions.

Part of the problem with the ending of the movie is that at the time the film was initially being made the final comic was not yet out, so Edgar Wright made up his own ending. When the comic did hit, the ending was different to the one Wright had come up with so Wright filmed an extra scene to bring it more in line three months before the movie came out (this is really incredibly obvious).
But it's also just fairly plain even without that that change that Wright freestyling more had to compress a few things to fit a what, seven volume comic into a two hour film; the final confrontation was cool but the little details of Ramona's character arc in particular are kind of skated over really fast.

Still a cracking film though.

9 hours ago, Ran said:

I suspect Baby Driver's issue was the fact that it was the first film Wright wrote alone. He needs -- or at least needed -- someone else to counter-balance him.

I feel like Baby Driver's issue is that most of Wright's stuff has an actual target that it's both tributing and lovingly sending up, that gives them a bit of... weight isn't the right word it implies a seriousness that they're not really about, but it gives a couple layers to both the humour and the plot ina  meta, genre-deconstructing way.

Baby Driver isn't really deconstructing anything, it's just a fairly basic concept of 'driver listens to music' and I get the sense that Wright doesn't know or love the heist genre in the same way he did Zombies or buddy cop films so it doesn't have those layers. So it felt a bit flat.

It's still better than World's End for me though, which I thought was pants.

Interesting to see where Last Night in Soho takes him, since for the first time he isn't doing comedy.

12 hours ago, john said:

Seemed to me like the ultimate execution of style over substance.

Not to open up a well-trodden discussion, but surely the ultimate execution of style over substance is Zack Snyder's Watchmen.

Archived