WandaVision 3: Here Be Magic (Spoilers)

Corvinus85

Or, just am idea here, just keep them as separate universes that developed differently.

MCU Magneto didn't survive thw concentration camp, Xavier didn't survive his paralysis incident. Or just whatever event triggered mutations on the XCU didn't in the MCU.

I see no reason why they have to share a film universe TBH. Whilst opposed to that, they're not compatible to share as settings (characters maybe)

18 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Or, just am idea here, just keep them as separate universes that developed differently.

MCU Magneto didn't survive thw concentration camp, Xavier didn't survive his paralysis incident. Or just whatever event triggered mutations on the XCU didn't in the MCU.

I see no reason why they have to share a film universe TBH. Whilst opposed to that, they're not compatible to share as settings (characters maybe)

I did consider this, and I would much, much prefer this over mixing the Foxverse in in drips and drabs. It’d be interesting to see how a ‘Marvel Studios’ tag fares without any connection to the MCU. But I suspect they just won’t be able to help themselves to the possibility of team ups.

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

It seems quite clear from Feige's comments over the past couple years that "mutants" and the Fantastic Four will be integrated into the MCU, not portrayed in a (entirely) separate universe.

On 3/10/2021 at 2:16 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Bringing one character from the Xverse does not mean the XVerse is incorporated into the MCU whole cloth.

Exactly.  I never thought this was a window to bring the X-Men into the wider MCU. Instead, using the XVerse Pietro really felt like the cracking of a door to allow for so much more potential.  I don't need Hugh Jackman on the Avengers...Wolverine on the Avengers was one of the dumber ideas of the Bendis run...

On 3/10/2021 at 3:02 PM, DMC said:

Hey!  How dare you impugn the highbrow humor of boner jokes!

Believe them or.not, but the whole Boner thing was meant to be a tiny little Easter Egg reference to Growing Pains...

21 hours ago, DMC said:

It seems quite clear from Feige's comments over the past couple years that "mutants" and the Fantastic Four will be integrated into the MCU, not portrayed in a (entirely) separate universe.

Yes.

22 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

No reason? So long as it was ramped up appropriately [with other films, shows, etc] an X-men vs Avengers would, with little doubt, be a ridiculously huge box office smash, bigger than Infinity and/or Endgame. 

I'd be shocked if Feige isn't facing tremendous pressure to get this out the gates sooner rather than later. While the *28 billion in gross he's overseen [just on the movies] ought to give him a bit of pull in making sure it's parlayed correctly, it's definitely getting done. 

*20 to 22 billion, or whatever

I do wonder if they will use the introduction of X-Men to the MCU - which will happen but almost certainly won't be the FoXmen, as JEORDHI says - to, very carefully, find some way of updating Magneto's origin, because of course it's very important to his character and a sensitive subject given the real-world implications of erasing one of the most iconic fictional Holocaust survivors, but we're getting close to the time where it simply won't be plausible for him to be one if stories are taking place in the modern day- and the needs of casting someone for a series of films will highlight that starkly.

I'd expect the comics to test the ground first though, in some manner that involves gently retiring the old Magneto and replacing him with a younger survivor of a more recent atrocity (a tricky prospect in itself, coz using a different real one runs the risk of feeling like they're using real genocide as a creative commodity, but making one up risks trivialising the source of the feelings a Magneto needs to have to work as a character).

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

very carefully, find some way of updating Magneto's origin, because of course it's very important to his character and a sensitive subject given the real-world implications of erasing one of the most iconic fictional Holocaust survivors

One thing I don't see mentioned too much - which I don't get - is why not do the same thing they did with Cap?  For whatever reason, he was "frozen" or whatever for x amount of years.  Seems to be the most expedient avenue to me since, as you say, all alternatives are rather dicey one way or another.

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

One thing I don't see mentioned too much - which I don't get - is why not do the same thing they did with Cap?  For whatever reason, he was "frozen" or whatever for x amount of years.  Seems to be the most expedient avenue to me since, as you say, all alternatives are rather dicey one way or another.

The comics already de-aged him through super-science nonsense. Twice. (They also cloned a younger version of him, but I think that character is still running around in addition to, rather than replacing, the original.)

If the movies don't want to go down that road, well, the beauty of superhero comics is - as illustrated by Cap - there's always some nonsense explanation for having perpetual youth.

10 minutes ago, Mr Gordo said:

They could make him a Vampire like did they did with Jubilee!

(oh dear god please dont do this)

That would be really bad optics for a Jewish character.

But, y'know, there's still cryogenic freezing, clones, time travel, scientific experiments, healing factor, random secondary mutations, and if all else fails, a wizard did it.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I'd expect the comics to test the ground first though, in some manner that involves gently retiring the old Magneto and replacing him with a younger survivor of a more recent atrocity (a tricky prospect in itself, coz using a different real one runs the risk of feeling like they're using real genocide as a creative commodity, but making one up risks trivialising the source of the feelings a Magneto needs to have to work as a character).

I have seen speculation in some places about making him Bosnian or Rwandan, but I suspect Mormont is right and they’ll find some hand-wavey way of keeping the Holocaust origin story.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

That would be really bad optics for a Jewish character.

But, y'know, there's still cryogenic freezing, clones, time travel, scientific experiments, healing factor, random secondary mutations, and if all else fails, a wizard did it.

The Russians captured him at the same time as they captured Bucky and had him frozen in a sister facility.

Done.

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

The Russians captured him at the same time as they captured Bucky and had him frozen in a sister facility.

Done.

It's not as easy as Bucky or Cap because he kinda has to be living in the world as mutant distrust grows. I mean, that's a whole other issue anyway that I don't know how the MCU solves, but if he just disappears after WW2 and appears now he doesn't have all the personal history with Charles, with a lifelong battle for mutantkind, missing whole chunks of who defines him.

De-aging works better but is such an awkward fit.

I would have loved it if they set the MCU X-Men movies in the past while having older versions of the characters slowly start to show up in the modern MCU. But they already did the past thing starting with First Class so that seems super unlikely. 

I hate the idea Vision presents in Civil War (when he says "I have an equation" and then proceeds to...not give an equation.) that Iron Man somehow kicked off the appearance of super-people. I know there was Cap and the original Ant-Man and Wasp but there's a lot of room for a previous generation or two of heroes. 

16 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I know there was Cap and the original Ant-Man and Wasp but there's a lot of room for a previous generation or two of heroes. 

Not really in public though. The world was definitely set up as not having public superheroes before IM. It's part of my problem with how are they gonna bring X-Men to the MCU - a huge part of the premise is a creepying, long-running resentment of mutants and it's awkward enough in the comics that the public differentiate between mutants and the likes of spider-man (like most of the time how would they even know to do that) but at least that's of long standing and has been setup by years of continuity, it makes absolutely no sense in the MCU as it is right now.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Not really in public though. The world was definitely set up as not having public superheroes before IM. It's part of my problem with how are they gonna bring X-Men to the MCU - a huge part of the premise is a creepying, long-running resentment of mutants and it's awkward enough in the comics that the public differentiate between mutants and the likes of spider-man (like most of the time how would they even know to do that) but at least that's of long standing and has been setup by years of continuity, it makes absolutely no sense in the MCU as it is right now.

Well, like, since I'm kind of bored [new puppy is sleeping] if I put my Feige hat on I'd set up two mostly, but not entirely independent brain trusts. 

First Trust: Your mandate is an alternate universe. Close, but not quite, and you're to develop the MCU X-men et background, mutant sentiment, etc. Start in the 60s and limit to 2 to 3 team films, maybe some solos. And hey, go wild. Intersperse cameos and/or limited roles with alternate versions of extant MCU characters.

Second Trust: Fans are going to fan, theorists are going to theory, just try not to give them too much ammo.  You're working from the point that we've collapsed these two universes because Fantastic 4 vs Galactus or some shit [otherwise TBD] Walk out the consequences of such a collapse and find a way to integrate into stories going forward.

Archived