Covid-19 #29: Gazing Into the Abyss, Again

Fragile Bird

My sister is supposed to come over today and I’m kinda anxious about whether I’m still contagious.

It’s been 7 weeks tomorrow since my first symptoms and over 5 weeks since I’m symptomless. And even though at 4 and half weeks from first symptoms my pcr still came back positive, I also have a positive serology test. 

Google doesn’t give a conclusive answer, but it’d be rather over the top if one were contagious nearly 2 months after contracting the virus, right? 

24 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

My sister is supposed to come over today and I’m kinda anxious about whether I’m still contagious.

It’s been 7 weeks tomorrow since my first symptoms and over 5 weeks since I’m symptomless. And even though at 4 and half weeks from first symptoms my pcr still came back positive, I also have a positive serology test. 

Google doesn’t give a conclusive answer, but it’d be rather over the top if one were contagious nearly 2 months after contracting the virus, right? 

I think you’re totally fine and well outside the contagious period per CDC advice (ten days since the start of symptoms, provided symptoms have cleared).

Can always social distance / mask / gather outside if it makes you more comfortable!

58 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Agreed that you should definitely no longer be contagious.

But from what you have told us of your sister, I would put in on to her. Give her the facts and tell her it is her decision whether to come over, and that you will accept no responsibility should she catch it.

59 minutes ago, A wilding said:

Agreed that you should definitely no longer be contagious.

But from what you have told us of your sister, I would put in on to her. Give her the facts and tell her it is her decision whether to come over, and that you will accept no responsibility should she catch it.

You’re not the first person to suggest this and it leaves me wondering what kinda image I present about her. :lol: I mean it’s not like I’m not a difficult person in my own way. It’s not like I ever overthink or overworry or act like a control freak :leaving: 

but yeah, thanks for the reassurance, I do think I’m fine too, it’s... what I said above. :eek: 

37 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

You’d have to have a seriously compromised immune system and would be in the hospital if you were still infectious (active) with a current infection that started two months ago. 

You can also theoretically get re-infected after having recovered, say, with the P1 variant, but then you’d be actively sick. Or you could get re-infected with the original variant and be asymptomatic, but this rare and typically doesn’t happen to people under age 65.

This is why Google is likely giving you non-answers ;) The most likely situation is that you are indeed fully recovered, and your PCR tests at 4 weeks out from your symptoms were from stray inactive viral particles.

However, you can always in good conscience tell your sister you want to be super safe and wait until you are all vaccinated :)

yep, google doesn’t really like to be accountable for its answers, which makes sense of course. We are probably way too dependent on it and switched better judgement and common sense for a quick google check, as if that were conclusive or fail proof. Society.... 

Anyway, thanks for the assessment, I was thinking along the same lines, it’s just the eternal anxiety of general covid uncertainty. The sense that you can never be sure you know something. I guess we need to learn to live with that and I need to get over myself. 

This is interesting information concerning post injection skin rashes, etc.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/covid-vaccine-rash-side-effect/2021/04/09/7517bad0-97bd-11eb-962b-78c1d8228819_story.html

The most important take-away information for us personally, and for physicians, is near the end --

....Experts say it’s important that health providers not mistake a vaccine reaction for a skin infection and inappropriately prescribe antibiotics to treat it.

“Since this isn’t a bacterial skin infection, antibiotics are a bad idea,” Drolet says.

Allergic reactions to coronavirus vaccinations are rare

They stress that these reactions are not the same as the more immediate severe — and extremely rare — allergic reactions that occur within four hours of a shot — hives, swelling, difficulty breathing — and that anyone experiencing these should seek medical attention and avoid a second dose.

Physicians assured Burke she could safely receive her second dose on Jan. 31, but suggested she premedicate with over-the-counter antihistamines for several days in advance, and for a week after. She complied, and experienced only mild symptoms....

Just a couple of side effects of the vaccine that I have not noticed discussed here...

Earlier this year I read an article about a woman who felt a lump in her breast, went to the doctor and had a mammogram and it was subsequently determined that the Covid vaccine is causing some lymph nodes to temporarily swell. It's gotten to the point where many ob/gyn doctors seem to be aware and up on this and there are now numerous articles regarding this.  Looks like people are being advised to push back mammograms if they have had the vaccine.

More recently I have seen discussions on twitter regarding people experiencing irregularities with their period and heavy menstrual bleeding after getting the vaccine. And some mentions of people with fibroids thinking the fibroids have swollen after the vaccine (maybe like the lymph nodes?). Of course discussions on twitter are not scientific but discussions there led to it heading towards the research point now:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/9/22374523/covid-vaccine-period-heavy-survey

If you have had the vaccine or if when you get it you notice any irregularities in the pelvic area, consider contributing to the survey that is linked in the article. Awareness of these symptoms and any correlation to the vaccine does not seem to have gotten down to most ob/gyn doctors yet. My doctor had not had anyone else call regarding these type of symptoms. I suspect we might see more reports regarding this as less elderly and more middle aged and younger get the vaccine.

@lady narcissa  Thank you for that information.  Even if it may not apply particularly to someone reading here, we can pass it on to others to whom it may well apply.

~~~~~~~~~~

Is this right, that Regeneron anticlonal provides protection immediately?  That's really good.  But it's also really expensive, right?  We all recall how effective it was with Chris Christie and demon previous. It's not for the likes of us all, I guess?

~~~~~~~~~~

This morning the NY Times reports that so far only 36% of the country as received at least one dose of vaccine, and only 22% of the country is fully vaccinated.  That's not very many, over all.  Which really brings home again how very lucky Partner and I are, how very privileged, to be in that 22%, which is so very few.  How did that even happen?  Beyond Biden getting elected, I mean.  Really, really, grateful.

17 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Yeah even though I'm on the Michigan border area here, I do not think chasing the hotspots makes sense and that the govt should stick to allocating according to population.

The CDC head just recommended that Michigan 'shut down' again, although Whitmer seems loath to go that route. I guess thats the problem with being a 'swing state' as well as a hotspot. Both voluntary as well as state mandated shutdowns will be ignored by about half of the population.

Its not as big a deal for me since I am halfway vaccinated and am somewhat shielded. Just have to weather out the next few months I guess.

A good friend got her second Modern injection Saturday.  Though it didn't last any longer than my reaction, hers was much more intense, including fever, sinus, headache and nausea.  The son of good friends, who had covid for quite some weeks back in March 2020, got his first injection yesterday (don't know which vaccine) and he's really sick.  He was warned this was likely because he's had covid, and because he's under thirty.

Had my first shot of the Pfizer vaccine on Friday. It was actually at a drive-through vaccination center in the parking lot of a Six Flags park about 10 minutes from my house.    They had dozens of booths set up and you were directed to park at one and the person at the booth gave you the shot in your car, then they had you park in your car off to the side for 15 minutes, while people walked up and down the rows of parked cars and checked to make sure no one was having an adverse reaction.   After 15 minutes they let you drive away.   It was pretty slick and streamlined.   The appointment was set up through my health provider and they are supposed to schedule my next appointment at the same location and time in 21 days, just waiting for the notification.

Other than the usual arm soreness at the injection site, no adverse affects except a slight headache over the weekend.

@Leofric  Excellent -- Congratulations!  Glad it went so easily and smoothly from appointment to injection to the hang before heading home.

``````````

Close friends who have been fully vaccinated since the end of January (when hardly anybody they knew could even find an appointment, so they've still been isolated), went out to a restaurant for dinner last night for the first time since the pandemic.  Cold and damp, they ate inside one of those outside that really indoors sheds with plexiglass between tables.  It was such a weird experience, and unpleasant on other ways too, due to the other diners. Evidently that conviction among So Many they aren't enjoying themselves unless they are screaming and howling non-stop is still in play.  Who wants to be around that?

They are trying to schedule us to meet and eat with them when we've reached the finish line.  I. Don't. Think. So.

Maybe somewhere truly outdoors without roofs and walls, and far from streets and sidewalks.  Otherwise, no.

We'll happily go to our friends uptown with a courtyard, and even eat, if it's raining, inside their house.  They've been fully vaccinated since January too.  But we wouldn't be around all those other people.

UK reopened non-essential shops and pubs and restaurants for outdoor seating. It was pretty strange going out for my walk this evening. I live in the city so my walk goes past all the pubs and restaurants etc. It made me very uncomfortable walking through the crowds of people walking around, queuing in the streets and otherwise gathering in large groups. A worrying number seemed to have taken "Shops and pubs are open" to mean the pandemic is over and all social distancing and mask wearing can end. It was a relief to get to my quiet spot and walk in peace. I could be worrying too much and seeing what I expect to see but I already know I'll not be out to any of these places for a while yet. I'll stick to my essential grocery shopping and lonely walks for the foreseeable. 

In better news, WSJ reporting that B.1.1.7, while definitely more communicable, is not leading to more severe outcomes among those hospitalized.  It is reporting on a study in The Lancet that B.1.1.7 patients are not dying at higher rates or having worse outcomes.  “Worse outcomes” were measured by “needing a ventilator” or death.  It did show that younger, healthier patients were being hospitalized.  

In sum, my understanding from the article is that B.1.1.7 appears more likely to land you in hospital, but once you are there it appears that there isn’t a substantial difference in outcome.

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

In better news, WSJ reporting that B.1.1.7, while definitely more communicable, is not leading to more severe outcomes among those hospitalized.  It is reporting on a study in The Lancet that B.1.1.7 patients are not dying at higher rates or having worse outcomes.  “Worse outcomes” were measured by “needing a ventilator” or death.  It did show that younger, healthier patients were being hospitalized.  

In sum, my understanding from the article is that B.1.1.7 appears more likely to land you in hospital, but once you are there it appears that there isn’t a substantial difference in outcome.

Well in general,  more spreadable and less deadly is the evolutionary sweet spot for these sorts of things.  

It’s really not “less deadly”, because it spreads so fast that growth is exponential. As a result more people end up in hospital, in the ICU, and then dead.

We have rapidly surpassed the record of people in the ICU in Ontario, and across Canada. Deaths will be rising, but not like earlier in the year because the worst hit age group, those over 70, have largely been vaccinated with at least one shot, and the most vulnerable, in long term care, with two shots. And in the wave we just went through, in January and February, we had 50% of the deaths that we had had in all of 2020.

So my company has informed me I will be scheduled  for either Thursday or Friday to be vaccinated during my shift. Its the J&J one and done.

I'm good with this, its convenient, quick and by May 1st I will be immunized and done with it. Some of my workmates are opting out and going to seek out the Pfizer/Moderna because of the lack of faith in the J&J and the higher efficacy score (90 vs 75%).

I don't see it that way, I'm opting for expediency, especially given this area is hotspot and I feel its a race to avoid exposure to any of the new strains that are threatening.

Starting May 1st I feel like I'm starting the rest of my life and leaving this damnable virus out of it!!

After 15 months in office  our minister of health resigned today. The last 14 months took a toll on his health. No surprise as his job was not easy it all as other branches of the goverment and the regional governments made effective measures against covid-19 more or less impossible since the start of of the 2nd wave. He has been under police protection because of death threats at least since November on top of that and people close to him were threatened too. 

I think nobody wants that job...

At least he was able to admit that one of the main problems is the significant amount of people that refuse to get tested now. It is not a small minority that refuses but at least 1/3rd of the population according to him. 

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

UK reopened non-essential shops and pubs and restaurants for outdoor seating. It was pretty strange going out for my walk this evening. I live in the city so my walk goes past all the pubs and restaurants etc. It made me very uncomfortable walking through the crowds of people walking around, queuing in the streets and otherwise gathering in large groups. A worrying number seemed to have taken "Shops and pubs are open" to mean the pandemic is over and all social distancing and mask wearing can end. It was a relief to get to my quiet spot and walk in peace. I could be worrying too much and seeing what I expect to see but I already know I'll not be out to any of these places for a while yet. I'll stick to my essential grocery shopping and lonely walks for the foreseeable. 

My trip to Tesco yesterday backs this up.
Pandemic is over; no need to wear masks or socially distance, or manage keep the number of people in store down.

16 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

My trip to Tesco yesterday backs this up.
Pandemic is over; no need to wear masks or socially distance, or manage keep the number of people in store down.

I went to the gym yesterday and I’ve never seen it so busy. I’m sure it will all slow down as everyone gets back in the rhythm.

We’ll have to see what happens. Case numbers might shoot up again, or they might not, opening schools has had little really effect. 

But really the point will be seeing whether hospitalisations rise at all , and deaths. Everyone over 50 has now been offered their first jab so that will , and has had a significant effect on deaths already.

Archived