Football: Red Card for the Roman Empire

A Horse Named Stranger

Meh, it’s England friendlies, the most unwatchable form of football imaginable.

Maguire has been dogshit but not picking him might just mentally break him, so I understand why Southgate might want to show some support to help him.

Sancho has been bad for England, was not good at the Euros, and didn’t quite seem to fit into the system. I’m not too bothered he wasn’t picked. 

Picking Tammy is a bit of an eye opener? I thought he was having a mixed season at Roma?

1 hour ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Tammy is alright, 21 goals & 4 assists for this Roma side are good numbers.

13 goals on Serie A, 7 in the European Conference tin pot cup. 

13 in the league are decent numbers, looking at his record he seems to be doing better recently, last time I'd looked he was getting some criticism and his early good form had fallen off a bit, but that might have something to do with being in a Jose side.

England don't exactly have a wealth of strikers who can play up front at the moment, if Kane is out its hard to say who would replace him. I guess one of our 3000 right backs.

Yeah Tammy's mostly just okay but apart from Watkins- who I do think should be there but isn't in great scoring form himself this season- he's about the only fully fit English striker, what with Bamford and DCL both just returning from long-term injury, so no particular surprise that he's there.

Arnold will miss the England games due to injury.

Anyway, CL draw completed. Rather favorable for Liverpool.

Chelsea - Real v City - Atletico

Villareal - Bayern v Benfica - Liverpool

So Bayern - Liverpool in the Semi-finals.

A pity about TAA’s hamstring injury.  He has played a lot of games.  I hope it isn’t too bad but Klopp’s comments made it sound like an absence beyond the international break.

The CL draw was kind to us, at least.  No disrespect to Benfica, who earned their place in the WF as much as anyone, but they’re the opponents I wanted.  And nice that we can only meet City or Chelsea in the final — the CL is more fun for me with international opponents.  Not that Bayern in the SF would be easy but domestic rivals know each other too well, and it feels a bit less special.

Pretty pointed comment from Southgate on Rashford's omission. 

"But in the last eight squads, he has ended up pulling out of five while Maguire has been in the team and a key part of the team for massive matches over a long period of time."

AS Roma will face Bodø/Glimt in UEFA Conference League quarter finals, after losing 6-1 away, 8-3 on aggregate last time around. I wouldn't bank on the same result again, the climate is less in B/Gs favor this time around, meaning Roma might actually brave the weather to do some training on the actual (artificial) pitch this time. Still, fingers crossed...

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Alexander-Arnold’s injury is a problem. I’m not sure I see us going to the Etihad and getting a win without him.:frown5:

It may be a problem even before then. Milner and Tsimikas are two of the players down with COVID, so we cannot even rotate FBs this weekend in the cup.  Some rest is needed because the defense has been the bedrock of our run these past two months.  I guess Gomez will have to play RB in the meantime but that impairs our attack just when our forwards look disjointed.  I hope Firmino is feeling fit, fresh and in form to reconnect our attack, but he’s coming back from a long injury and wasn’t in great form even before that.

But, yeah, that’s just what City needed.  TAA is our least replaceable player.

Liverpool over Benfica

Bayern over Villareal

Hopefully Real over Chelsea 

City v Atletico... hmm I wish both could lose but City are gonna have so much of the ball that I'm not sure Atleti will physically be able to score

I fear City are gonna reach the final again and win it this time.

West Ham v Lyon: the hilarious part is that some of the french media (the least aware of football) think that Lyon are the favourites. West Ham knocked out Sevilla, who are themselves a very good side, so they will probably see out Lyon.

8 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It may be a problem even before then. Milner and Tsimikas are two of the players down with COVID, so we cannot even rotate FBs this weekend in the cup.  Some rest is needed because the defense has been the bedrock of our run these past two months.  I guess Gomez will have to play RB in the meantime but that impairs our attack just when our forwards look disjointed.  I hope Firmino is feeling fit, fresh and in form to reconnect our attack, but he’s coming back from a long injury and wasn’t in great form even before that.

But, yeah, that’s just what City needed.  TAA is our least replaceable player.

I expect they will do what they did previously and play a more attacking midfielder like Ox (or let hendo off the leash a little more). Attacks might just go down the left a lot more and let Robbo pick up the slack. Alternatively, might see Thiago on the right side so we still have that penetrating pass from the right hand side. I think it will be okay, but hope the absence isn't long.

Archived