[Spoilers] Episode 103 Discussion

Ran

Also, the writers said that Daemon's little act should have resulted in nothing but his death, had the cavalry not arrived at that exact moment. Now, I'll give the writers a pass because we are only starting, but I hope this GoT's trend does not come over to this show. Having a main character going rambo and then, when apparently he / she is about to die, the reinforcements arrive in the nick of time.

Edited by zajaz

6 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

Could we, though? There's not actually much story there.

But there is potential character development. And I think if this show is going to succeed, it ultimately needs to feel... well, more like a novel and less like a history book jumping around from significant event to significant event. And it will need more pugs.

Edited by Caligula_K3

10 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

Could we, though? There's not actually much story there.

Part of the issue is that we're rushing through the REACTION to events.

The Crabfeeder never got a single line. Throw five minutes there to explain who he is, what he's doing there, and why he's so hell bent on hating Westeros' freedom.

6 minutes ago, zajaz said:

Also, the writers said that Daemon's little act should have resulted in nothing but his death, had not the cavalry arrived at the exact moment. Now, I'll give the writers a pass because we are only starting, but I hope this GoT's trend does not come over to this show. Having a main character going rambo and then, when apparently he / she is about to die, the reinforcements arrive in the nick of time.

This was the weakest episode of the series so far.

Not a bad thing; it was to be expected.

Honestly, this episode should've been split into two episodes:

1. one where 70% of the episode revolves around the Great Hunt with the remaining 30% focusing on the War for the Stepstones
  2. one focusing entirely on the War for the Stepstones

...in that order.

I honestly thought that they messed up Laeno'rs introduction as well. To be honest, Laena and Laenor should have been  introduced by name in the first episode. If I didn't know the story already, I'd be so confused about the new dragonrider. Laenor is fun but....his re-introduction was trash.

Alicent Hightower, Jason Lannister and Larys Strong owned this episode.

I'm also disappointed to see that Rhaenys was not present in the closing battle.

I loved the opening scene with Caraxes. Great stuff.

1 minute ago, Crona said:

Isn’t this the same director for both episodes? It was very similar to this episode. 

Yes.

I'm not a fan of Miguel Sapochnik for this reasojn.

13 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

But there is potential character development. And I think if this show is going to succeed, it ultimately needs to feel... well, more like a novel and less like a history book jumping around from significant event to significant event. And it will need more pugs.

I agree. The show could use more filler. And some bottle episodes would really help.

Like there should've been an episode dedicated strictly towards the War for the Stepstones with only Daemon, Corlys, Laenor, Vaemond and the other Velaryons appearing. They could've even broken up the action by showing us Laena claiming Vhagar under the watchful eye of her mother.

31 minutes ago, Crona said:

Isn’t this the same director for both episodes? It was very similar to this episode. 

Greg Yaitanes directed this episode (as well as last week's).  He did not direct any episodes of GoT.

Strong episode.  I think they're doing a good job thus far of balancing the time skips between too much and too little (an unenviable task).  Maybe it's just cuz I'm a drunk, but I thought Viserys was very sympathetic in this episode - his frustrations make sense as does, for that matter, his rejection of naming Aegon heir (it's particularly illustrative that he's kind of acting like Rhaenyra is vis-a-vis marriage in this regard).  His conversation with Rhaenyra about marrying was one of the highlights.

Structurally, the episode reminded me quite a bit of Hardhome (palace intrigue in the first half/expensive battle in the second).  I thought the portrayal of Daemon's reckless badassery on his suicide run was well done and a good flex for the character.  One can always nitpick these battle scenes (with the same complaints that could be leveled at 99% of action scenes in movies and television, btw), for me the key is what it says about the character(s) involved.

I also liked the slow but steady introduction of new characters.  Lord Hightower and the Lannister twins of course, but the Clubfoot's intro was great.  And yes, Alicent/Carey were outstanding this ep.  Finally, if anyone was wondering about which side the show will take IRT narrative bias, I think the white hart showing up to Rhaenyra - and her refusing to try to kill it - is a pretty clear statement.

Edited by DMC
he did NOT direct any episodes of GoT.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

"Viserys could drop dead at any moment!"

I'm sure you're right but to me the idea that anyone can die at any moment is  like ....baked into the setting. 

They've built Vhagar up a little, i really hope they giver her T-Rex kinda weight. Like once you know she's there, you're already dead. 

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

I didn't get any sense that Viserys' drinking had to do with his maladies.  Well, his physical maladies, that is.

Notably he never takes off his gloves.

So he's not in good shape there.

Edit:

Did anyone notice the war ended 7 years earlier?

Edited by C.T. Phipps

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

So they see the white stag and Ser Crispen goes to draw his sword ...that can't be how hunting works right? I'm sorry I just want to know what his next move was if Rhaenyra didn't say "no."

Bucks and Stags can be aggressive. They have been known to attack.

10 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Notably he never takes off his gloves.

So he's not in good shape there.

Edit:

Did anyone notice the war ended 7 years earlier?

I got the sense that Viserys is under a lot of stress. He's considerably less amiable than he was in episode 1. 

-

Visually, this series feels like a step up from Game of Thrones, and that was no slouch. I liked the moody, slow burn of this episode. 

What the hell is going on with those tapestries in Viserys' Solarium? One of them is visible over Alicent's shoulder during their little confab while Viserys is drinking his hangover cure. The scene it depicts is, ah, "spicy".

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

Ok but that wasn't what they were suggesting, I don't think. She didn't mean "no, don't protect me from this attacking wild animal." 

Maybe she thought it wouldn't attack and taking an aggressive stance might agitate it. Maybe she didn't want to spoil the tranquility of the moment. I dunno.