Watch, Watched, Watching: Festival Time!

Zorral

The Crown.  Hmmm.  It's still great fun, but I'm not feeling the casting.  Pryce is too nice for Prince Phillip, West is much too handsome for Charles, Margaret doesn't look like Margaret and Debeki is okay as Diana, but not as good as Corin was.  The only castings that really work for me are Imelda Staunton and whoever is playing Princess Anne.  Al Fayed actor is also good but not sure we needed an entire episode on them.  I'm up to ep. 4

I ranted about The Good Fight recently, but I have to say the second half of this final season was a blast. I even forgive them

Spoiler

the boring Diane storyline of being conked out and her love interest, some unlikely character developments, the false promises of most episode titles this year, one or two dangling storylines  and their complete hypocrisy about this (or most) law firm(s).

These past episodes were done so well. And the way they integrated the intro into the show itself in the final...

And the ending

Spoiler

of the countdown

was just glorious!

As a Trekkie, I have to say Star Wars: Andor is still one of the best shows I've seen in recent years. I hope that season 2 can keep the quality, as the series was originally planned for 5 seasons but Disney allowed for only two.

6 hours ago, Isis said:

In a completely different direction, I watched a couple of episodes of Dead to Me, not normally my cup of tea as it's a bit up its own arse. It's held my interest for two episodes anyway. Time will tell if I pick it up again.

If you do stick with it, call it a day after S1. 

7 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

but Disney allowed for only two.

Nah,  once Gilroy realized how long each season would take to produce and shoot, he decided he didnt want to commit the time and turned it into 2 seasons. 

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Shit I didn't even know they just released the new season.  Damn elections. 

Dominic West as Charles III -- one cannot stop laffing.  West cannot help being on screen everything that Charles never has been and is not now (Dominick West having a tantrum over a pen?????),  and never can be.  If Charles had been West's Charles, one can just about guarantee all that Charles-Diana mess would never have happened.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I barely got through the first episode.  It's quite deadly, meaning dull. Except for Dominic.  Whoever is playing Di isn't getting at her ability to hold gaze, lenses and cameras.

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Dominic West is absolutely fabulous as the guy who invented the SAS, in the brilliant BBC drama, SAS: Rogue Heroes.

Which is basically a dramatization of the absolutely wild BBC documentary trilogy, SAS: Rogue Warriors.

Obviously Dominic West was born for SAS: Rogue Heroes.  Hope it makes it over here on some platform to which I subscribe, I.e. not Apple or Disney.  Also we are tired of Jimmy McNulty being tied down by Affairs and such. Let the inner McNulty ride again!

Ah-hem. Back to The Crown.

On the urging of friends I did the next episodes, and holy cow -- not what I was expecting.  We got Dodi's grandfather, father, and him, and -- further holy cow -- the Duke of Windsor and HIS VALET.  And tears. None of Them though, thank goodness, who provide the dull and drear.  Except Our Queen of Hearts Di -- somebody is doing her in: oooo is she acid -- one can't help thinking of what bulima does with one's gastric fluids --   / nasty.  Again, against the grain of our expectations after decades of myth building.  And for all we know the myth building is still correct.  Or never was.  That valet though ... faithful to his royals until the end, even providing opportunity for worshipping them to others of the imperium's oppressed.  Not a turn one would have seen coming in this day-and-age.  But this is the postmodern age, and we 'get it', right?

12 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

The Crown.  Hmmm.  It's still great fun, but I'm not feeling the casting.  Pryce is too nice for Prince Phillip, West is much too handsome for Charles, Margaret doesn't look like Margaret and Debeki is okay as Diana, but not as good as Corin was.  The only castings that really work for me are Imelda Staunton and whoever is playing Princess Anne.  Al Fayed actor is also good but not sure we needed an entire episode on them.  I'm up to ep. 4

Olivia Coleman and Tobias Menzies make an impression. The casting from season 3 & 4 is so burned into my brain that it was difficult to get into this season initially. Still the casting is solid. Johnathan Price as Prince Phillip was what hooked me. I was unsure about that casting choice but he pulls it off. Same for Johnny Lee Miller as John Major. I think Dominic West as Charles is great. Jesus Christ is Timothy Dalton tall.

It feels a bit weird because it's not as much an Elizabeth-Margaret-Queen mother centric show. Also no Charles Dance. Still, I'm enjoying it. One episode left. I'm liking the flashbacks and the one episode that focused on the Al-Fayed family. 

I was left wondering about Martin Bashir. How the hell did that guy still have a career in journalism? Apparently because his shenanigans have only come to light in the last few years. The BBC is issuing apologies and compensating people. Apparently Panorama gave their BAFTA back. 

I’d have preferred they cast someone else as Mountbatton, and saved Dance for the older Philip (or just re-used him - Philip was M’s nephew anyway).

The real John Major isn’t a fan as he hated the abdication plotline. Though given they’ve got a man once touted as a future Bond, and did play Holmes, to play him, he should maybe be flattered. I likes his reaction when the Queen demanded her yacht be repaired at taxpayer expense, despite then-rising unemployment.

Don't Worry Darling is on HBO Max. The reviews were not great, but so far it's been very entertaining. I suspect it's about to go off the rails soon though. 

ETA: Holy shit that third act. This is not a good movie, but it's a wild ride.

The Peripheral is fantastic. Episode five was gripping. In my case, slightly spoiled by my cats yowling to be fed/trying to get fed again. It's got quite a strong Westworld vibe to it but it's just better? I really enjoy the aesthetics of it and that's a big Gibson thing, as he spends a lot of time describing clothing and the way his characters dress,so it's very apt. I don't know how many episodes are left but I almost don't want to know because it'll be sad when it's over.

Yeah latest season of The Crown has problems. They were always going to struggle the closer the show got to modern day, but it doesn’t feel like it has that dramatic weight it had before.

I agree the casting just doesn’t work either. I was excited when I saw the line up but there are quite a few misses in there.

West as Charles is simply too charming and good looking. The impression is decent but it’s always coming across as an impression. Hard to picture the dull tedious man he’s trying to play.

Diana is better, but anyone playing that role will come across as a bit silly because she just had a very idiosyncratic way of talking and acting that doesn’t seem real. 

It all feels rather soapy and silly, which it always had done to some extent in the past but it seems really apparent now

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Don't Worry Darling is on HBO Max. The reviews were not great, but so far it's been very entertaining. I suspect it's about to go off the rails soon though. 

ETA: Holy shit that third act. This is not a good movie, but it's a wild ride.

Yeah, I watched this the other day and it started out decent enough, but ended up being pretty predictable and just an average movie at best. I so wanted to like it too. Florence Pugh killed it as always though.

I saw the new Black Panther. It was 160 minutes long and somehow felt longer. They could’ve cut a half hour easy. It wasn’t bad but not that good either. The typical Marvel action thrown in with plenty of scenes that dragged some. I’ll probably never watch it again.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

I saw the new Black Panther. It was 160 minutes long and somehow felt longer. They could’ve cut a half hour easy. It wasn’t bad but not that good either. The typical Marvel action thrown in with plenty of scenes that dragged some. I’ll probably never watch it again.

I plan to watch this on the big screen and heard the exact same thing from a friend who saw it, was a long movie and felt even longer than it really is.

Archived