Are there any characters you just have 0 sympathy for?

Maegor_the_Cool

Gregor Clegane, Amory Lorch, Vargo Hoat and a large portion of the "Bloody Mummers", Roose Bolton, Ramsay Bolton, Tywin Lannister, Cersei Lannister, Qyburn (I know he's a Bloody Mummer, but terrible enough to call out separately), Walder Frey and the main organizers of the Red Wedding (not all the Freys), the overseers of the Unsullied program.

I know they're far from the worst characters, but I personally cannot find myself to have any sympathy for Harma Dogshead (who gets pleasure out killing dogs) or Daario Naharis (a profoundly arrogant sadist who gets off on killing people).

Euron Greyjoy is a popular choice, but he has only made brief appearances in three chapters so far... so I don't have a verdict on him.  (I'm not counting TWOW preview chapters, since they're likely to change before the book gets published.)

I very much dislike Joffrey, but I always thought the hate for him was overblown.  Had a crown not been plunked on his head, he would just be a spoiled bully whose terrible behavior was ignored by his negligent father and cherished by his abominable mother.  He is not worse than Little Walder Frey, he just has a lot more power.  Joffrey's circumstances make him more sympathetic than any of the people I listed above, in my opinion.

Daenerys. I felt for her during the first half of the books, how couldn't I, the girl moved from city to city in constant fear of her life, in tow of a half mad brother, and then was sold off by him for an army to some horselord and not even an original one like a proper Mongolian or Turkic khan but to some nudist dudd at the head of a horde of savage exhibitionists, I mean, putting some fucking clothes on shouldn't be a concept so alien, especially for people living in the steppes, being exposed to elements but no, these are violent perverts. But all that sympathy went away because after gained some agency of her own, what does she do? Almost as soon as she does, she uses employs a bloodmage and not just any other bloodmage but one whose sufferings she had a hand in for her want of an iron chair, not only a reprehensible action but also dumb, near Cersei level dumb. Buys thousands of slaves, commits genocides in the name of abolishing slavery, only to allow it again. Leaves not just one but three dragons unattended so they could damage peoples herds and even eat children. Her choice of guys also leave a lot to be desired, instead of hanging out with decent guys like Quentyn, chooses sick fucks like Daario or Hizdahr zo Loraq,

Edited by Corvo the Crow

1 hour ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

It isn't Robb.  He was just an idiot who was never taught honor.  The fool who did the most damage over the course of the story is Jon Snow.  Snowflake gets no sympathy from me.

Lord Walder will get none when Nymeria’s Wolfpack rips him limb from limb

4 hours ago, StarkTullies said:

Gregor Clegane, Amory Lorch, Vargo Hoat and a large portion of the "Bloody Mummers", Roose Bolton, Ramsay Bolton, Tywin Lannister, Cersei Lannister, Qyburn (I know he's a Bloody Mummer, but terrible enough to call out separately), Walder Frey and the main organizers of the Red Wedding (not all the Freys), the overseers of the Unsullied program.

I know they're far from the worst characters, but I personally cannot find myself to have any sympathy for Harma Dogshead (who gets pleasure out killing dogs) or Daario Naharis (a profoundly arrogant sadist who gets off on killing people).

Euron Greyjoy is a popular choice, but he has only made brief appearances in three chapters so far... so I don't have a verdict on him.  (I'm not counting TWOW preview chapters, since they're likely to change before the book gets published.)

I very much dislike Joffrey, but I always thought the hate for him was overblown.  Had a crown not been plunked on his head, he would just be a spoiled bully whose terrible behavior was ignored by his negligent father and cherished by his abominable mother.  He is not worse than Little Walder Frey, he just has a lot more power.  Joffrey's circumstances make him more sympathetic than any of the people I listed above, in my opinion.

I greatly enjoyed reading of Joffrey’s death.  He was a horrid little sadist.

13 hours ago, StarkTullies said:

I very much dislike Joffrey, but I always thought the hate for him was overblown.  Had a crown not been plunked on his head, he would just be a spoiled bully whose terrible behavior was ignored by his negligent father and cherished by his abominable mother

His cutting open a pregnant cat suggests that this "spoiled bully with negligent father" dynamic had real Ramsay potential even early on. 

But with Joffrey, as with Ramsey, I can't say I have zero sympathy for them. More like 1% or 2% sympathy. Most serial killers have fucked up childhoods. It doesn't make them any less monstrous, but it gives them a slightly more pitiable shade to their nature. "Slightly" being the operative word.

Hmmm…hard to answer. Say Ramsay. Hate him. Least favourite character in the books. But do I think he’s without anything worthy of sympathy? With Roose raising him according to the How To Make Psychopaths cookbook? No, that sounds horrible. And we hear he’s been mocked for his appearance all his life, which is no less victimizing than it is for Brienne or Tyrion. Similarly anyone raised by Tywin. Even Chett…petty, murderous backstabbing vindictive shit that he is, his backstory might be the worst we see in the books, and my god that’s saying something. 

I can say there are characters like the Mountain about whom, possible medical theories aside, we are given no factors that contributed to his being a monster. Ergo no reason to sympathize. 

Edited by James Arryn

1 hour ago, Gilbert Green said:

I might be able to feeling a bit sorry for Tyrion if he, and his fans, did not spend so much time doing that for me.

Are there a lot of fans feeling sorry for him?  At least on this forum, I am surprised how little discussion there is about the book's most prominent character by chapter count.  Endless threads about Dany, Targaryens in general, the Starks in general, and each individual Stark, but relatively speaking hardly anyone talks about loving Tyrion, hating Tyrion, or discussing him at all.

I agree with you about Tyrion's self-pity, though.  He pities himself endlessly for the discrimination he faced for being born a dwarf (a legitimate complaint), but then he feels utter contempt toward Penny... for being a dwarf.  Regardless, I don't have zero sympathy for him.  His father and sister were abusive monsters, and he had a spoiled and entitled yet also nightmarish childhood.

2 minutes ago, StarkTullies said:

Are there a lot of fans feeling sorry for him? 

Maybe not any more.  But I am an old fan, and I remember. 

2 minutes ago, StarkTullies said:

At least on this forum, I am surprised how little discussion there is about the book's most prominent character by chapter count.  Endless threads about Dany, Targaryens in general, the Starks in general, and each individual Stark, but relatively speaking hardly anyone talks about loving Tyrion, hating Tyrion, or discussing him at all.

As to this forum, at least now, I have no basis for disagreeing.