The Small Stuff That Doesn’t Need a Thread #5

Fragile Bird

Well, overnight, and so far today, no ants.

I shall continue vinegar bombing the battlefield however.  Who knows.  Maybe they are sleeping or the scouts are out trying to discover their missing brethren and their routes.

But as said previously, I have doubts this method would be effective upon larger ants, and all the kinds known as 'sugar' ants, who are searching for food.  These tiny 'moisture' ants, some of which are also known as 'grease' ants, aren't on a food mission, but moisture.  And they do get more invasive with drought, and after very big rains which drown out their nests.  We had drought, followed by nearly a week of non-stop rain.

Still anti-ant fighting.

Went 36 hours w/o any.  Then yesterday afternoon saw three.  As of today there have been several.  Really sick of the vinegar fumes.

~~~~~~

Update, Bad News!  Down in the basement, in the laundry room, coming back up, I see ANTS climbing the stairs!  They are all over the building, which means a fumigator.

Edited by Zorral

I just discovered that there is a pro rugby league in USA called MLR (Major League Rugby), and they have been playing since 2018.  How can the world's most confusing sport be profitable in USA?  Also, why is an organization that plays rugby union calling itself a league?

14 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I just discovered that there is a pro rugby league in USA called MLR (Major League Rugby), and they have been playing since 2018.  How can the world's most confusing sport be profitable in USA?  Also, why is an organization that plays rugby union calling itself a league?

North America: leagues.

Call anything a union and lots of people would stay away because they’re anti-union.

Seriously.

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

North America: leagues.

Call anything a union and lots of people would stay away because they’re anti-union.

Seriously.

That makes a lot sense.  But, they still should have avoided the word league, which already has a specific meaning with regards to rugby.  Maybe the word association would be a better alternative, not that it would make much of a difference.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

I doubt it is.  Look at the all-time attendance records on its wiki page.

Yeah, crowd averages of 2,000 is not exactly good for business.

10 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

That makes a lot sense.  But, they still should have avoided the word league, which already has a specific meaning with regards to rugby.  Maybe the word association would be a better alternative, not that it would make much of a difference.

It's never really been a thing in rugby to not use the term league to describe competitions, the distinction between Rugby League the sport and whatever Rugby Union competition being a league is pretty well understood. The Irish/Welsh/Scottish professional league was called the Celtic League for a while. The French professional rugby body is the LNR (Ligue National de Rugby) and the RFU (the original Union in Rugby Union) calls plenty of its competitions leagues.

From a North American perspective I don't think Rugby League is a big enough thing for them to be worried about it being a problem.

10 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

Yeah, crowd averages of 2,000 is not exactly good for business.

I'd be surprised if it's actually making a profit but, to be fair, I'm pretty sure MLR is mostly semi professional so it might not be that far off. I doubt the plan is for them to be drawing in crowds in the tens of thousands or anything.

37 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I'd be surprised if it's actually making a profit but, to be fair, I'm pretty sure MLR is mostly semi professional so it might not be that far off. I doubt the plan is for them to be drawing in crowds in the tens of thousands or anything.

Yeah, that's true.  I really wonder what their costs are - I'd expect it'd be very minimal comparatively.  And they do have a TV deal, which is something.

No ants since about the middle of last Wednesday; Thursday is when I go the bivalent booster, so was glad not to have to be dealing with ants.  So far, so good.  Have used only the vinegar.  They also disappeared from the basement and the lobby at the same time.  Maybe we can cancel the exterminator?

Uptown friends says he gets an invasion of this same sort of moisture/grease ant in their brownstone basement apartment every year about this time -- they just show up out of nowhere one day, and then, in a couple/few days disappear again.  It's been a lot cooler, than when they showed up -- a couple of days and nights downright cold, which is when they seemed to have gone.  So I don't know.  Keeping my eyes focused for the appearance of even a single one for a while yet, though.

Still, no ants, but the exterminator came anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Much more fun! Fleet Week’s bac; it's delightful to see the naval cadets and sailors and officers stalking the sidewalks in their crispy-crisp uniforms, while doubtless while navigating the streets of SoHo, going, "What the eff is this supposed to be? What are we doing here?" as they navigate their fones to find somewhere more lively and interesting. :D

Had to get a filling fixed today that the dentist broke last week. It was mind blowing that it took 20 minutes and they didn't even need to give me a shot. Face is still numb, but I'll take a swap over a shot every time.

It's crazy when you hear stories of people having to go to the dentist 50 years ago. 

19 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Had to get a filling fixed today that the dentist broke last week. It was mind blowing that it took 20 minutes and they didn't even need to give me a shot. Face is still numb, but I'll take a swap over a shot every time.

It's crazy when you hear stories of people having to go to the dentist 50 years ago. 

I always get nitrous for dental work, it's lovely.