Star Wars: The Wrong Trousers

polishgenius

I think it's pretty clear they're trying to use this as the set up of the ST - with specific focus on why the New Republic is so trash and how the First Order linked to the Emperor, Snoke and other folks.

My take is that Thrawn's goal is to resurrect the Emperor. Gideon resurrecting someone else makes a fair amount of sense, especially given his takes on Mandalorians - but if that were the case, why blow all the cloning knowledge up from Pershing? To me that felt like an attempt to thwart Thrawn/Hux, not to use it for his own system.

36 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

I'm not completely sure that this show is going to be the basis for the sequel trilogy.  I think it's going to reference and acknowledge the events that lead up to the sequel trilogy, but I think they are going to make these two franchises somewhat independent of each other.

I think this because

Reveal hidden contents

The reference to project Necromancer affirms that Gideon is not behind it but Daddy Hux is.  Project Necromancer is what ultimately brings back the Emperor.  Since we know that Snoke is tied into the Emperor's resurrection, then it's a safe guess that it will be Daddy Hux who creates Snoke, not Gideon.

So if that's true, then we still have to explain why there is a cloning subplot in this show.  I think that this is going to somewhat mirror the cloning stories told in the Dark Horse comics and the Heir to the Empire books.  But instead of Snoke, I think that Gideon will end up cloning:

Reveal hidden contents

Maul.  He's the only Sith that was tied up in the Mandlorian storyline in the Clone Wars.  He also is the inspiration behind the horned Mandalorian helmets worn by both the Armorer and Gideon.  Plus he's a cool Star Wars character that Filoni and Favreau would probably love to play with in their live action shows.  I'm going to be on the lookout for a Boba Fett cameo next week, where Boba Fett discovers that Imperials have been digging up graves in Tatooine.

28 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

I think it's pretty clear they're trying to use this as the set up of the ST - with specific focus on why the New Republic is so trash and how the First Order linked to the Emperor, Snoke and other folks.

My take is that Thrawn's goal is to resurrect the Emperor. Gideon resurrecting someone else makes a fair amount of sense, especially given his takes on Mandalorians - but if that were the case, why blow all the cloning knowledge up from Pershing? To me that felt like an attempt to thwart Thrawn/Hux, not to use it for his own system.

Depending on how much we can take Gideon's words at face value in his interactions with the council and his speech at the end, I think that

Spoiler

Gideon is not particularly interested in cloning any one individual, but simply in mutating people with various abilities and powers and having an army of them at his disposal.

Seeing Captain Pellaeon in live-action 32 years after his appearance in Heir to the Empire is way more exciting than it should be (especially as we have no idea if TV Pellaeon is going to be as interesting as his book counterpart).

59 minutes ago, Denvek said:

Great casting for Pellaeon, he looks exactly like I expected him to.

Who is playing Pellaeon?

Cool to see he survived into the new Disney canon. He was a great character.

Does anyone know how well Zahn has made out on his having written the Heir to the Empire trilogy? As I understand it, he made a killing because he had some legacy deal regarding royalties that was a lot more generous than what writers after him got. I wonder if that stretches to using the characters he created in other media, like Thrawn or (now) Pellaeon?

6 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

One thing that I completely missed when I watched the show this morning,

Hide contents

It looks like the mandalorians were spit roasting those two baby dragons they "saved" as foundlings from episode 4

I actually assumed it was one of the reptilian creatures native to Navarro, like the ones that attacked Din's party in episode 7 of season 1.

17 minutes ago, Ran said:

Who is playing Pellaeon?

Cool to see he survived into the new Disney canon. He was a great character.

Does anyone know how well Zahn has made out on his having written the Heir to the Empire trilogy? As I understand it, he made a killing because he had some legacy deal regarding royalties that was a lot more generous than what writers after him got. I wonder if that stretches to using the characters he created in other media, like Thrawn or (now) Pellaeon?

I believe Zahn's Star Wars books have sold 15 million copies, which is nuts (Dune has sold between 20 and 25 million copies), so I assume he's done pretty well.

Edited by Werthead

Giving Baby Yoda his own mech was a weird choice, especially since it has less utility than his flying pod thing.

I'm wondering if there'll be a run-in to Ahsoka in the finale, which is reasonable given it'll be on air in just a few months. Ahsoka turning up to save the day might be a bit anti-climatic, but I wonder if we'll get a final cut to Thrawn on his Star Destroyer somewhere.

10 minutes ago, Darryk said:

They turned Baby Yoda into Krang.

This Thrawn stuff isn't doing anything for me; it's going to be Disney's Thrawn, not Timothy Zahn's Thrawn.

Rebels Thrawn was pretty good and Zahn wrote books about this version, too. 

12 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Rebels Thrawn was pretty good and Zahn wrote books about this version, too. 

Giving those a look as the second and third one in that first trilogy seem quite interesting, book 2 has the Emperor send him and Darth Vader off together on a " quest" .

As a few people have noted, Commandant Hux shouldn't be around at this point in the timeline, he should have already taken off for the Unknown Regions as per the shitty Chuck Wendig books. So, confirming the trend begun in The Rise of Skywalker (were they threw out Poe Dameron's backstory from the comics and novels just a couple of years after they were published), the books and comics from the "new canon" are anything but.

Amusingly, Hux is played by Brian Gleeson, Domhall Gleeson's brother.

Yeah they already retconned abunch of Ahsoka stuff and the story of Timothy Oliphants character too. Not really surprising when you realize we're dealing with the "actually he didn't kill your dad he is your dad and also she's your sister" franchise. 

5 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

I'm not completely sure that this show is going to be the basis for the sequel trilogy.  I think it's going to reference and acknowledge the events that lead up to the sequel trilogy, but I think they are going to make these two franchises somewhat independent of each other.

I think this because

Reveal hidden contents

The reference to project Necromancer affirms that Gideon is not behind it but Daddy Hux is.  Project Necromancer is what ultimately brings back the Emperor.  Since we know that Snoke is tied into the Emperor's resurrection, then it's a safe guess that it will be Daddy Hux who creates Snoke, not Gideon.

So if that's true, then we still have to explain why there is a cloning subplot in this show.  I think that this is going to somewhat mirror the cloning stories told in the Dark Horse comics and the Heir to the Empire books.  But instead of Snoke, I think that Gideon will end up cloning:

Reveal hidden contents

Maul.  He's the only Sith that was tied up in the Mandlorian storyline in the Clone Wars.  He also is the inspiration behind the horned Mandalorian helmets worn by both the Armorer and Gideon.  Plus he's a cool Star Wars character that Filoni and Favreau would probably love to play with in their live action shows.  I'm going to be on the lookout for a Boba Fett cameo next week, where Boba Fett discovers that Imperials have been digging up graves in Tatooine.

Quoting spoilers doesn't seem to work well, but with the above "the books are only canon until they get in the way" stuff in mind:

Spoiler

Snoke already exists at this point. I read about him on wookiepedia one day and he was created before ROTJ. 

I like the idea of Gidieon cloning Maul. maybe he found his legs. I always thought it would be funny if Mauls legs also somehow survived and wanted revenge. I maintain it really doesn't make much less sense than his top half surviving. 

I just hope they don't clone his brother. I never need to see an actor try to say the name "Savage Opress" with a straight face. 

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

Yeah they already retconned abunch of Ahsoka stuff and the story of Timothy Oliphants character too. Not really surprising when you realize we're dealing with the "actually he didn't kill your dad he is your dad and also she's your sister" franchise. 

Quoting spoilers doesn't seem to work well, but with the above "the books are only canon until they get in the way" stuff in mind:

Hide contents

Snoke already exists at this point. I read about him on wookiepedia one day and he was created before ROTJ. 

I like the idea of Gidieon cloning Maul. maybe he found his legs. I always thought it would be funny if Mauls legs also somehow survived and wanted revenge. I maintain it really doesn't make much less sense than his top half surviving. 

I just hope they don't clone his brother. I never need to see an actor try to say the name "Savage Opress" with a straight face. 

Yeah but then they can bring Clancy Brown back.