Star Wars: The Wrong Trousers

polishgenius

13 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I'm sorry but the gradually increasing in difficulty level laser bridge security mechanism thingy. What in the actual fuck was all that about?

What a load of strangely enjoyable bollocks.

I had the same thought - he even got to level up his gear with each victory. 

Also agree with it being enjoyable.  At it’s root, Star Wars is pulp sci fi - a swashbuckling romp through space with laser swords.  I got everything I was expecting from it and a variety of mandalorians in action.  I’ll take that as a win. 

1 minute ago, sifth said:

I mean let’s be real. We were all spoiled by Andor. Which felt like something more.

I wasn’t. Andor was an outlier.  Also, at the time there were complaints that it was too slow and didn’t have enough aliens. 

It did, however, have the main character in at least three costume changes, a new droid style (possibly with a variant without the wear and tear), multiple new uniforms for the antagonists and a couple of new ships.  Even without the aliens, there’s a full wave of toys right there. 

53 minutes ago, hauberk said:

I had the same thought - he even got to level up his gear with each victory. 

Also agree with it being enjoyable.  At it’s root, Star Wars is pulp sci fi - a swashbuckling romp through space with laser swords.  I got everything I was expecting from it and a variety of mandalorians in action.  I’ll take that as a win. 

When it feels like a video game… that’s a really bad sign (generally)…

Enjoyed the finale, but also obviously not blown away like the end of season 2. Good action and that's what this show does best. Really glad that Mando is going back to doing jobs as that is also what this show does best. I was really glad to see Mando and Grogu fight together as partners and it worked well. My main problem with Grogu in the past is he often gets used as a Hand of God in between having to be protected most of the time.

No Gideon body is really damn annoying. Especially since he probably has 200 other clones somewhere. So they have a million ways basically to bring him back.

The wrap up with the Mandalorians was easily the worst part of the ep. It's good it is wrapped up though. It was a lot like the rebels fleeing from the Hoth base for them. They were much better used in the pirate battle episode. They clearly wanted to focus on Mando/Grogu this ep which isn't a bad decision as it's their show, but the whole Mandalorian plot kind of concluded with a whimper.

Edited by Martell Spy

The season had plenty of weak spots but I think it landed pretty well. I enjoyed the last two episodes quite a bit. Would be nice to see Din Grogu get some training next year with weapons. Get him little blasters and such.

As others said, I don't like that we didn't see Gideon disintegrate but even that wouldn't matter due to cloning. There should literally be tons of beskar armor available now from all of the super troopers  

There's some very clever people online who saw that Gideon had a mustache before, and in this season we never see him with a mustache and all the clones have no mustache - meaning that clearly he was a clone. 

Sure, that makes as much sense as anything

22 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I'm sorry but the gradually increasing in difficulty level laser bridge security mechanism thingy. What in the actual fuck was all that about?

To be fair, precedented by the similar kind of gates in The Phantom Menace. And also good to see they still have the "no safety rails next to huge chasms" rule still firmly in place.

52 minutes ago, Werthead said:

To be fair, precedented by the similar kind of gates in The Phantom Menace. And also good to see they still have the "no safety rails next to huge chasms" rule still firmly in place.

There's an alternate Star Wars timeline out there somewhere where OSHA rules the galaxy and the villains are essentially immortal.

I wonder who made all that storm trooper armor. Did Gideon have an evil armorer? 

I also wonder if we'll ever see his spy who cooked Pershing's brain again. How did she even know the two groups of Mandalorians had teamed up?

15 hours ago, RumHam said:

I also wonder if we'll ever see his spy who cooked Pershing's brain again. How did she even know the two groups of Mandalorians had teamed up?

Elia Kane. That is indeed a huge dangling thread that wasn't addressed. I'm sure it'll be addressed elsewhere, possibly in Ahsoka. I imagine she'll end up working for Thrawn if Gideon is indeed gone for good. Given she's still implanted with the New Republic she could also attain higher rank and cause even more chaos for them.

Edited by Martell Spy

16 hours ago, RumHam said:

I wonder who made all that storm trooper armor. Did Gideon have an evil armorer? 

Who made all the storm trooper armor throughout the years for the Empire? likely Ughnaught slaves and other prisoners. I have spoken.

5 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Who made all the storm trooper armor throughout the years for the Empire? likely Ughnaught slaves and other prisoners. I have spoken.

Right but that wasn't Beskar armor. I assume it was plastic for all the good it did them. Aren't there just a few smiths who still know the spells to reforge Beskar? Oh wait I may be confusing fictional universes. Still, I thought her ability to forge beskar was fairly unique. She's The Armorer, not an armorer!

I thought she was special because the Covert is all about being mystical and shit, and they hold her in particular esteem. Beskar is awesome, but it ain't like it's magic. 

I figure once you can get the metal itself making the armor isn't that hard.

18 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

I thought she was special because the Covert is all about being mystical and shit, and they hold her in particular esteem. Beskar is awesome, but it ain't like it's magic. 

You say that now, just wait till next season when they introduce the Mandochlorians, which live inside beskar and give it it's unique properties. 

So, The Bad Batch had more interesting plots this season and of course reached new heights in animation, but they had to go back to the trough of  "the kid does something dumb to cause  problems and motivate the plot" in the finale, which had been massively overused throughout the show already. My niece is a huge fan of TCW, Rebels and The Mando, and she stopped watching The Bad Batch because of how much she hates the prevalence of this trope there. Odd how Disney doesn't realise that this might be rather unappealing to kid audience :P. Also, it looks like with Tech's death(?) Crosshair's re-joining his brethren  is a lock, which is meh, IMHO. 

I had fun with the Mandalorian  this season, but I wish that it had been less _dumb_ fun. I love what the special effects make possible now - dog-fighting in space, jet-pack combat, etc. Really nice visuals and stunts. I couldn't stop thinking how much better still it could have been with better writing and plots to go along with the visuals. Jet-packing to space from planetary surface is just so absurd.

BTW, aren't  Mandalorians supposed to live on several worlds in several star systems according to TCW and Rebels and even The Mandalorian itself? Did the show-runners... kinda forget about it?

On 4/17/2023 at 1:06 AM, Rhom said:

But man… with Ezra Bridger, Ashoka Tanno, Cal Kestis, Grogu, and who knows who else running around out there; it’s going to be very difficult to find a way to shoehorn this Filoniverse into setting up the save state of the galaxy just prior to the Sequel series.

This horse has left the barn with the prequels. Clearly, there must be thousands of Force sensitives in the Galaxy at any one time even _with_ the purges, if the Republic fielded 10K Jedi before it's fall - and they clearly didn't find and recruit every sensitive kid, they missed Palpatine. Nor does one need a special pedigree to become a powerful Force user - so why were Obi-wan and Yoda waiting for Luke to grow up? IIRC, TCW retconned their reason for it as Yoda's premonition/vision of the future. There is, of course no explanation for why they completely neglected Leia's training, because she was turned into Luke's sister late in OT and in a very ad-hoc manner.

Also, TCW chose to demonstrate that constantly fighting for long periods of time is detrimental to Jedi's spiritual health and could lead them into a fall to the Dark Side. So, basically, the galaxy is big, there may be a good reason for known Force users to stop fighting at some point, no matter the provocation, lest they themselves become the problem, etc. Ahsoka doesn't even trust herself enough to have any disciples, because she rightly suspects that her teachings may be compromised.

Also this whole "there can only be one" (and their mentor) on each side mentality is quite limiting and boring, IMHO. The sooner Star Wars movies drop it the better, IMHO.

On 4/19/2023 at 1:59 PM, Corvinus85 said:

Okay finale, but nowhere near as grand as I think most people hoped for.

It could have never been as grand as people hoped, because

Spoiler

they couldn't tie Djarin and Grogu to one place. They had to remain free agents.

On 4/19/2023 at 1:59 PM, Corvinus85 said:
  Hide contents

Funny how the show remembered in the finale who the protagonists were, giving Din Djarin and Grogu the best action scenes, while Bo can't beat Gideon on her own and loses the Darksaber for good.

Surely it was amply foreshadowed that

Spoiler

Grogu will reforge the Darksaber. It had to be broken so that he could remake it into something that would fit him.

On 4/20/2023 at 1:53 PM, hauberk said:

Also, at the time there were complaints that it was too slow and didn’t have enough aliens.

I love Andor, but why is it too much to want to have aliens in a "galaxy far, far, away"? Babylon 5 proved that it is entirely possible to tackle serious issues and portray deep emotions in a TV show, while also having aliens 30(!) years ago and on a shoe-string budget. Various Star Treks have also done the work there.

Edited by Maia

5 hours ago, Maia said:

I love Andor, but why is it too much to want to have aliens in a "galaxy far, far, away"? Babylon 5 proved that it is entirely possible to tackle serious issues and portray deep emotions in a TV show, while also having aliens 30(!) years ago and on a shoe-string budget. Various Star Treks have also done the work there.

It’s not too much to ask, but, in particular for the prison, logistically it makes no sense - not only due to food supply lines but also calibrating the floors to multiple species. 

I can’t speak to why there weren’t more on Andor’s planet.