On and On About Harry & Meghan Part 4

Fragile Bird

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Yes, it's a virtue.  I praise Kate Middleton for her placid stepford wife public personna that she never lets slip.  I praised the queen for the same thing.  They're playing a role and they know it. Presumably most people don't go to work every day and spend all day emoting about their personal lives.  It's the same for the royals, when they're out, they're on the job.  Fine.  I also imagine it's useful as a shield in providing a public v. a private life.  I don't believe you are incapable of knowing that this is different that outright lying, exaggerating and dishing private family dirt for money.

Being a Stepford wife is a good thing? Okay...

Anyways, they say nothing in public then in private use their deep connections with the media to savage the people they dislike. Not sure there's much nobility in that. 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Maybe this is a cultural thing but I view a  stoic silence, getting on with your job, doing your duty, stiff upper lip and keeping your feelings to yourself as a virtue in of itself. Maybe there is something traditionally British about it but I certainly prefer it to whatever the hell H&M are doing. 

It could be that over the pond, incessantly talking about yourself and your ‘truth’ and your feelings, complaining and making yourself the centre of the world are considered virtues and worthy behaviours but for me I find it all rather gross and sickening. 

I think it's more of a generational divide than cultural. And being incredibly repressed is not healthy which the royals display all the time. Do you think a lot of the core ones are truly happy?

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Being a Stepford wife is a good thing? Okay...

Anyways, they say nothing in public then in private use their deep connections with the media to savage the people they dislike. Not sure there's much nobility in that. 

I think it's more of a generational divide than cultural. And being incredibly repressed is not healthy which the royals display all the time. Do you think a lot of the core ones are truly happy?

I said 'personna'.

I'm not so sure about that anymore.  Our confessional culture of the last few decades doesn't seemed to have helped anyone's mental health, statistically speaking.  Instead, it has created a society full of naval gazing, fragile, infantilized people who are incapable of functioning without all kinds of 'supports'. Maybe our grandparents had something there with the idea of getting on with things.

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Instead, it has created a society full of naval gazing

Sea shanty about Harry and Meghan? OK!

In a royal land across the sea,
Lived a prince and his bride-to-be,
Harry and Meghan, their love so true,
Their story, dear sailor, I'll share with you.

(Chorus)
Oh, hoist the sails, let the wind blow free,
A tale of love on the deep blue sea,
Prince Harry and Meghan, a love so grand,
In this shanty, we'll sing of their love's command.

(Verse 2)
They met by fate, a chance encounter,
Love blossomed, couldn't live without her,
Through life's storms, they stood side by side,
A love so strong, impossible to hide.

(Chorus)

(Verse 3)
With hearts ablaze, they walked down the aisle,
A wedding fit for a fairy tale,
From England's shores to the royal crown,
A love story that traveled the world around.

(Chorus)

(Verse 4)
But the ocean of life can be unkind,
Amidst the waves, they left it all behind,
They sought a new horizon, a fresh start,
A love so brave, a journey from the heart.

(Chorus)

(Verse 5)
Now across the ocean, they've found their place,
Spreading love and hope, with style and grace,
Together they strive for a world more kind,
Inspiring sailors, with love in their mind.

(Chorus)

(Outro)
So let's raise our voices, sailors bold,
Sing of a love story, forever told,
Prince Harry and Meghan, their love will stay,
In our sea shanty, forever they'll sway.

:lol:

42 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I said 'personna'.

I'm not so sure about that anymore.  Our confessional culture of the last few decades doesn't seemed to have helped anyone's mental health, statistically speaking.  Instead, it has created a society full of naval gazing, fragile, infantilized people who are incapable of functioning without all kinds of 'supports'. Maybe our grandparents had something there with the idea of getting on with things.

People do seem more miserable, but you're blaming the wrong thing. Talking about your thoughts and feelings privately and publicly isn't the problem. It's the way people can respond to them that is. Just use the NBA as an example. The commissioner of the league has said several times the players are not very happy. It's not because they can express themselves more than ever, it's because if they have a bad game they get flooded with nasty tweets. The main royals get it even worse. That's the problem. 

Shit, if I had to guess bots are doing more damage to celebrities' mental health than them talking about how they feel publicly. The backlash is the problem. 

40 minutes ago, Week said:

Now we need to recast Deep Blue Sea with only the royal family. And the Queen has to be in Jackson's role. 

Print. That. Money. 

3 hours ago, Week said:

I mean, I prompted it. ;)

What? A.I.?

Boo. Slow clap withdrawn.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Sooooooooo ... what's the difference between being a Stepford wife and a Stepford queen, and why are either of them a good thing?

Better question, how do you tell the difference between a Stepford wife and someone who just acts like a Stepford wife?

Since you are all interested:

The audiobook, hardcover, & kindle edition and  of Spare occupy the #1, #3, & #4 spots respectively in the “Royalty” category on Amazon.ca. 

Harry: Conversations with the Prince By Angela Levin (kindle edition) is in 18th.

Revenge (Paperback) by Tom Bower is 20th

Dickie Arbiter‘s On Duty With The Queen (hardcover) is 33rd

Etc, etc… “Lady” Colin Campbell… etc etc…

And in 75th place we get the audiobook edition of Camilla: From Outcast to Queen Consort by Angela Levin.

That is all.

7 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Infantilised is the right word. Either way, airing your dirty laundry in public is not a good look, and if the Royals have learnt anything over the years, it’s that the public actually don’t want to hear about their feelings. 

Certainly I think H&M represent a sort of sad vision of the future, self centred, not interested in duty that doesn’t directly make them look better, utterly convinced of their own special snowflake qualities with none of the talent and a tendency to whine like a child when they don’t get their own way. Whatever the opposite of stoic is.. that’s them. 

10 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I assume the questions are rhetorical?  :P

You don't think she wears those Jenny Packham floral dresses--a little nip here and tuck there--that could have been worn by the queen mother back in the 40s by accident do you?  

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Madame deVenoge said:

Oddly enough, they do live in the west…hmmmm

Númenor before the fall or Galadriel and Celeborn? YOU DECIDE.  

I saw a rumor that Meghan is going to appear in a movie.  Does anyone know if its true? Whatever you think of her skills as a podcast host or children's author, she was smoldering in Suits.  She also did a voice-over for Disney. 

It used to be the case that actors ceased their profession after becoming royalty (a la Grace Kelly), but that may be an outdated rule...