The Ukraine War: Casus Belgorod

Kalbear

The blizzard of claims and counterclaims coming out of Russia is insane. One that has surfaced is that the attack on Wagner forces a couple of days ago as an attempt by Shoigu to kill Prigozhin, which led Prigozhin to say, "It's on."

Wagner social media channels have directed Rosvgardia units to switch sides or stand aside from their planned operations in Russia.

Apparently all Rosvgardia units in the Central District of the Russian Federation (which is like half the country) have been place don emergency alert, in the middle of the night.

Several Russian sources are now calling this a coup. 

Unconfirmed reports of a Russian military base on fire in the Moscow District. Not buying too much into that until we get more info.

Tanks and APCs on the streets of Moscow in force. Some citizens comparing it to 1993.

Just now, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I forget is that the drunk guy?

He's the leader of Chechnya.

Which way he jumps when the shit kicks off has always been a key question. He and Prigozhin were very tight at one point, but they've been more at loggerheads in recent months.

Sheesh.

One of my New Year's Day predictions was that 2023 would see a 50-50 shot of the downfall of Putin and the breakup of Russia. 

That said, one wonders if the 'Russian Rebels' are going to jump into this mess with a giant stockpile of captured Russian gear given to them by the Ukrainian's... 

Just now, Maithanet said:

I am not as enthusiastic about an actual civil war in Russia as many seem to be.  That sounds... Very scary.  

Yeah... I've played too many video games where the plot involves a civil war in Russia leading to "ultranationalists" getting control of nuclear weapons.

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

I am not as enthusiastic about an actual civil war in Russia as many seem to be.  That sounds... Very scary.  

Yeah, it's not a fantastic prospect. Russia's nukes could find their way into anybody's hands and all sorts of deniable shit could follow.

This has a feel more like 1993 or the failed Turkish coup, though. And so far no shots have been fired that we know of, at least inside Russia itself.

Yeah, but question is how many people would blockade tanks on the red square to defend Vladimir Loserovich...

But overall, I agree (and keep on repeating myself), Prigozhin won't succeed. But we can have some fun for the next 1-2 days.

Some reports that Wagner and Rosgvardia units have clashed outside Kozachi Tabory, north of Rostov, and the Rosgvardia units fled.

These reports are all weird though, using identical wording despite coming from different sources, some Russian, some from overseas. It has the feel of a Wagner psy-ops or propaganda exercise.

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

hese reports are all weird though, using identical wording despite coming from different sources, some Russian, some from overseas. It has the feel of a Wagner psy-ops or propaganda exercise.

AI.

One must speculate on that. It's already been used here by the magarat/fascists to show Biden doing what he wasn't doing.

Edited by Zorral

I don't quite understand Prigozhin's strategy here. His actions during the past few months were increasingly hostile against Russian Army (and its leaders Shoigu and Gerasimov) and indirectly against Putin himself. Fine, but I don't get what does he hope to gain with such course of action. He knows he can't beat Putin - nor in elections, nor in military conflict. As powerful as it is, Wagner will lose, and lose horribly, if pit against Russian Army.

Good news for Ukrainians, and all that jazz - but I'm just wondering about Prigozhin's motives here. Did he horribly miscalculate or is there something I'm not seeing here?

Just now, Knight Of Winter said:

I don't quite understand Prigozhin's strategy here. His actions during the past few months were increasingly hostile against Russian Army (and its leaders Shoigu and Gerasimov) and indirectly against Putin himself. Fine, but I don't get what does he hope to gain with such course of action. He knows he can't beat Putin - nor in elections, nor in military conflict. As powerful as it is, Wagner will lose, and lose horribly, if pit against Russian Army.

Good news for Ukrainians, and all that jazz - but I'm just wondering about Prigozhin's motives here. Did he horribly miscalculate or is there something I'm not seeing here?

Or he thinks the Russian MoD is 95% committed to Ukraine and the only major military units between him and Moscow are the Jack and Shit Brigades. Hence the overwhelming focus on the Rosgvardia, who are basically heavily-armed police (and have suffered losses of their own in Ukraine). Prigozhin is also banking on many forces opposing him refusing to open fire.

This is a one-shot power run at Moscow. It might not pay off but maybe it has a 30% chance of succeeding, not the 5% some people are thinking.

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

Or he thinks the Russian MoD is 95% committed to Ukraine and the only major military units between him and Moscow are the Jack and Shit Brigades. Hence the overwhelming focus on the Rosgvardia, who are basically heavily-armed police (and have suffered losses of their own in Ukraine). Prigozhin is also banking on many forces opposing him refusing to open fire.

This is a one-shot power run at Moscow. It might not pay off but maybe it has a 30% chance of succeeding, not the 5% some people are thinking.

Yeah. I wouldn't bet mony on Prigozhin, but I think he has a real chance at this working out. He needs some things to go right for sure, but not an insurmountable amount.

And if he does win, the parallels to 1917 get even stronger. If Nicholas II had kept more of his loyalist veterans with him rather then sent to the frontlines he might have withstood the February Revolution.

Also, whilst the chances that Prigozhin is a complete fucking idiot cannot be discounted, it's also possible that he has supporters/groups in Moscow ready to back him. It cannot be overestimated how furious a large part of the FSB are over how they were scapegoated at the start of the war, and the GRU are incensed at the losses they have incurred in Ukraine.

Even if that's not really the case and Prigozhin does not have widespread support in the capital, the illusion he might is sparking serious concern in Moscow.