The Ukraine War: Casus Belgorod

Kalbear

5 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Some reports that the Kremlin has issued a reward for Prigozhin's liquidation, including complete amnesty for all other Wagner forces.

Putin has signed a law permitting 30-day detentions for those breaching martial law. Some indications that Moscow may be placed under formal martial law imminently.

Who cares about Putin's pardon. If they win, they won't need it. And momentum is clearly on their side.

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Unlikely. I think the split between the selfie squad and Wagner is real. And I am actually inclined to believe that Prigozhin actually gave Ukraine the coordinates of Delimkhanov (and that he is very much dead).

I agree, it is super unlikely.  But I am just highlighting the mistrust and confusion on Russia.  Almost anything seems possible.

Edited by Maithanet

The Wagner vehicles are pulling up at commercial petrol stations to refuel, and paying as normal. They were filmed at a fast food restaurant (the McDonalds replacement one) queuing up as normal. Wagner troops have been ordered to pay for services as normal and not mistreat people, and so far that seems to be happening.

From what we can tell, these are Wagner's hardcore professional troops, not their convict conscripts.

Meanwhile:

32 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I was wondering about fuel for the vehicles. 

But I suppose if this was planned, and not a spur of the moment thing, Wagner must have fuel trucks moving with the column. 

Well that and they're in "friendly" country. They could have secured depots ahead of time and maybe get diesel or gas from civilian stations.

1 minute ago, Corvinus85 said:

Well that and they're in "friendly" country. They could have secured depots ahead of time and maybe get diesel or gas from civilian stations.

They are getting fuel and food from civilian restaurants and gas stations.  They are paying for thier purchases.

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

They are getting fuel and food from civilian restaurants and gas stations.  They are paying for thier purchases.

There’s footage of Russian civilians goving Wagner troops food and water

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Yeah, I've heard speculation that considering Wagner's propaganda towards civilians and considering how many pissed off families there that lost members in the war, that if Wagner gets to Moscow they may be joined by civilians in the streets.

Rostov is also interesting in that there's a lot of people with Ukrainian friends and family out there. I recall seeing Channel 1420 on Youtube interviewing students at the university there in the early days of the conflict, and a lot of the people answering mentioned that.

I know Prigozhin says he'll return to prosectuing the war after he cleans up the MoD, but I suspect a lot of people are hopeful that that's just bluster and that his success will bring an end to the war.

The Belarusian Brigade fighting on Ukraine's side is reportedly considering returning to Minsk. They have said if they do, they will accept support from the Belarusian military.

Unconfirmed claims by Wagner forces in Rostov that they have captured several Chechen "Akhmat" units, who surrendered after only brief resistance.

Edited by Werthead

It's amazing when you see history pivot pretty radically around specific things. If Zelensky had done what Putin probably assumed he would do (and what most would do) and fled, Ukrainian resistance might have faltered in the face of that very first attack.

Instead the comedian President looks set to outlast Putin.

They're now about 350 km away from Moscow in the Lipetsk province. Looks like quite a bit of progress was made in the night. 

From my naive perspective either the Russian forces were caught flat footed, or some of the top brass simply decided not to assign forces there (some sort of passive collusion).

Rumors that some Wagner columns entered Moscow oblast almost 30 minutes ago. If true and if they continue to face no resistance, they could be at the city itself in another 90 minutes.