Hollywood STRIKES UPDATE: SAG AFTRA reaches agreement with AMPTP!

Mladen

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

It does when you consider that the pay ratio between Tom Cruise and his lowest paid colleagues is every bit as abhorrent as that between Iger and his minions. 

That is basically my point. Maybe if the people at the top took a little less, it would be easier for execs to justify paying more to lesser lights. 

I think it is a little naive to think that the Igers of the world are interested in paying the "lesser lights" more than they have to.

Any savings will go into executive or shareholder pockets.

Just now, DanteGabriel said:

I think it is a little naive to think that the Igers of the world are interested in paying the "lesser lights" more than they have to.

Any savings will go into executive or shareholder pockets.

Yeah, I know. Corporate greed sucks. 

So what's your solution? 

15 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

That's just capitalism though isn't it. Tom Cruise get the money he demands because of the value that studios determine that he brings to a movie. They might well be right, people go to watch Tom Cruise.. they don't go to the movies to watch 'Tea boy #4'. 

Well they definitely don’t go to see Iger.

As someone with some insight, you guys are all right. PAs make nothing and live in one of the most expensive cities in the world. They also lack any real job security. However, with the current model if you cut the top end actors' pay it would not trickle down. And even if you cut Iger's pay it still wouldn't go to the lower or mid level workers. Hollywood greed would just change enough to find a new way to keep almost everything in the 1%'s hands. That's why people are striking. The structure of the system needs a massive overhaul.

Now for some fun:

This clip highlights everything wrong with wealthy people who say they want to be part of the solution, but don't want to sacrifice anything. 

41 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What would happen if all the high end stars cut a segment of their own pay to have divided among all other actors and crew on their films and shows?

I still absolutely support WGA and SAG/AFTRA.

Executive compensation would still be outrageous on top of the labor of a more equitably paid group.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What would happen if all the high end stars cut a segment of their own pay to have divided among all other actors and crew on their films and shows?

Didn’t Gandolfini do that on The Sopranos? 

10 hours ago, Mladen said:

Yeah, we all know that. But that doesn't mean we can support big conglomerates exploiting working class. It is like telling teachers "don't strike because if schools give in, they will raise tuitions".  This strike doesn't affect those A-listers we immediately think when someone says actors. Yes, they will also benefit, but the idea is to ensure the survival of over 95% of 160 000 members of acting guild.

The worst part is that writers' demands for example are $500M in total for ALL the big studios of AMPTP. Someone did calculations and for example Netflix would have to pay $70-80M. Netflix earned $31,5B last year. What are they afraid? Of economic cataclysm that would happen if they earn $31,4B? 

Money is not the issue. Studios have enough money. They just don't want to pay.

As GRRM said in his post linked to above.  He says it right out the BIG EARNERS LIKE HIM aren't going to be affected much if at all, but that's why they're striking in solidarity with the vast majority for whom a few hundred dollars more a year can make a huge difference, as well as in support of them getting the experience they used to get to move up.

Unlike the overprivileged, entitled rich pooba kids here who can only look at this as a big personal PITA, some of these folks can look beyond THEMSELVES.

Edited by Zorral

8 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Well once we can AI generate actors to be as good as Bryan Cranston we won't need to pay them anything at all and the highest paid people in the film industry will be the people who own the computers!

Are you trying to give me nightmares? 

8 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Was it you, Scott, that said you had family/friends in the film industry? Is there anyone here who can talk about the industry from a place of lived professional experience?

30 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Was it you, Scott, that said you had family/friends in the film industry? Is there anyone here who can talk about the industry from a place of lived professional experience?

That would be me. Two members of my fam, who are now dead, were Oscar voters and I have several family members who are in the business. One of the voters was a minority owner in multiple theater chains. I'm sure he'd hate how things have changed today. I can't help but laugh that one of my cousins technically got an acting credit in the garbage movie The Cloverfield Paradox, but for the most part they're PAs, writers or work on the business side of things. Everyone is furious and the ones I've spoken to are blaming the executives. I've yet to hear one person be critical of the writers or actors. That's why I compared what's going on to the general problems with the overall economy. Pretty much everyone is getting squeezed so a small minority can horde all the profits. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

Ah, thank you @Tywin et al.! What's their take (and yours) on the whole "the A listers make too much and it's bad optics" per Cranston and Sam Jackson and co all protesting alongside struggling actors and the position of them needing to be paid less (even I wonder "how much money do you really need at this point? Just take a pay cut and get back end profits or something!")

I'm not really educated in this domain, and so can't speak about it with the kind of authority that you can.

I know a lot of people in the biz, including, for instance show runners for series like Black Sails and Reign, people who do/did the music for Really Big Films like Apocalypse Now etc., and they all say the same.

At this point we're all turning into Privilege for Some, the rest the poors, like the rest of the world.

Edited by Zorral

3 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Ah, thank you @Tywin et al.! What's their take (and yours) on the whole "the A listers make too much and it's bad optics" per Cranston and Sam Jackson and co all protesting alongside struggling actors and the position of them needing to be paid less (even I wonder "how much money do you really need at this point? Just take a pay cut and get back end profits or something!")

I'm not really educated in this domain, and so can't speak about it with the kind of authority that you can.

I'm not sure I can give you an accurate take on their views when it comes to A listers besides telling you their interactions with them have largely been positive. My belief is there isn't a ton of resentment towards the big stars and in turn a lot of them want to help out the people struggling. The anger is with upper management that play zero role in the creative process and often times mess it up. I think Mike Schur is right when he says a fight like this happens every 15 years or so and it's necessary and the artists really don't want to back down this time. 

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

I know a lot of people in the biz, including, for instance show runners for series like Black Sails and Reign, people who do/did the music for Really Big Films like Apocalypse Now etc., and they all say the same.

At this point we're all turning into Privilege for Some, the rest the poors, like the rest of the world.

We need to talk because I want one of those flags. Or just something from the set. I guess I could settle for a date with Jessica Parker Kennedy.