X (née Twitter): Elmo has no good ideas

Week

2 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

One tangent thought: even after Elon's purge, the company must still be full of nerds. How come nobody told him that they're ripping off the logo of X Window System? It is not "hey, they do look kinda similar", it's "they're the same picture". (Buying popcorn in anticipation of lawsuit from X.Org Foundation).

Would he care of they did?

11 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

What on earth did this moron buy the Twitter brand for?

To destroy it because too many posters didn't espouse what he decreed the universe to be.  He gets what he decrees, instantly, if not sooner, because that is how it is for him.  You know, like dumpf taking a sharpie and telling us that is the route of a hurricane not the route of the hurricane.  I say it, it is so.

26 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Because he's dumb. Everyone who completed their first year of business school could of told him it was a terrible idea to spend that much to buy the company. This is classic rich bro hubris. And since then pretty much every decision he's made has been a disaster. Like I said in the last thread, the company is now estimated to be worth at best a third of what he paid for it and might not be worth even an eighth of it in short order. It's not the kind of company you can buy, plunder and then sell off so it makes no sense. This is really just a tale of a rich dude who thought he was smarter than everone else and did something incredibly foolish. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

16 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Well, he did try to back out of the sale, but couldn't. So . . . .

Yep, because for a rare moment he listened to advisors. But I'm still confused by the logic that he's trying to destroy it to recoup some of the losses. Not really sure how that would work when it's all self-inflicted and if it can be proved that it was intentional that's an easy fraud case in my eyes.

37 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

destroy it to recoup some of the losses

Not logic, because we are now in the Billionaire kidz reality where what they declare is what it is.

46 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yep, because for a rare moment he listened to advisors. But I'm still confused by the logic that he's trying to destroy it to recoup some of the losses. Not really sure how that would work when it's all self-inflicted and if it can be proved that it was intentional that's an easy fraud case in my eyes.

Recoup, no. He's on record in a text conversation with one of his eXes mulling her suggestion he buy Twitter to destroy it. Might be once his hand was forced he thought he could make a go of it, but he's surely not there now. 

Dude's a consummate revisionist though, ie: Tesla, his dubious engineering savvy, etc. Imagine how much drama that dork ass motherfucker brings to the people in his life who've no choice but to be there. The constant gaslighting and obsessive narrative control would get old, fast.

edit: putting a gun to the head of your own billions like it's nothing, just another day, is totally in character for that douche

Edited by JGP

1 hour ago, Lord of Oop North said:

To stop a kid posting publicly available information about the movements of his private jet. That's now being posted on Zucks platform instead.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

He's destroying it out of spite. And in the process, he gets to own the libs and garner even more support amongst his brainless incel/nazi/generaleverydaywanker stanbase.

Doesn't matter how many billions he's wasted, he's going to make many, many more with his space stuff. Also from Tesla, if it doesn't get shut down by safety regulators.

Edited by Spockydog

43 minutes ago, JGP said:

Recoup, no. He's on record in a text conversation with one of his eXes mulling her suggestion he buy Twitter to destroy it. Might be once his hand was forced he thought he could make a go of it, but he's surely not there now. 

I thought that was just speculation. Anyways isn't there still a way for him to get out of some of his losses? My understanding is crashing the value could end up being a good way to make some of his money back. Or at least some on TV say that's a possible strategy. 

Dude's a consummate revisionist though, ie: Tesla, his dubious engineering savvy, etc. Imagine how much drama that dork ass motherfucker brings to the people in his life who've no choice but to be there. The constant gaslighting and obsessive narrative control would get old, fast.

Didn't one of kids disown him? 

9 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

He's destroying it out of spite. And in the process, he gets to own the libs and garner even more support amongst his brainless incel/nazi stanbase.

Doesn't matter how many billions he's wasted, he's going to make many, many more with his space stuff. Also from Tesla, if it doesn't get shut down by safety regulators.

I interrupted it at the beginning as him wanting to just seem cool and since the left crushed him he leaned even more to the right. Perhaps those were always his views. But to your last point, Idk anyone who wants a Tesla anymore, his space program has a number of failures and my understanding the value of his companies is kind of a mirage based on stock prices. 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I thought that was just speculation.

The back and forth was up on Twitter. For a while.

Anyways isn't there still a way for him to get out of some of his losses? My understanding is crashing the value could end up being a good way to make some of his money back. Or at least some on TV say that's a possible strategy. 

Being someone who subscribes to sensible, compassionate, and best practices... I don't have much insight into how that would play out. I mean, he didn't pay in cash, right, so tanking the value and filling for bankruptcy could save him on financing the remainder, maybe? Just spitballing. 

Didn't one of kids disown him? 

Something like, yeah.

I interrupted it at the beginning as him wanting to just seem cool and since the left crushed him he leaned even more to the right. Perhaps those were always his views. But to your last point, Idk anyone who wants a Tesla anymore, his space program has a number of failures and my understanding the value of his companies is kind of a mirage based on stock prices. 

Musk boondoggled the US Gov so hard it's no wonder they won't go after him. I'd be embarrassed, anyway.

Edited by JGP

I interrupted it at the beginning as him wanting to just seem cool and since the left crushed him he leaned even more to the right. Perhaps those were always his views.

He grew up a spoilt rich kid whose family made their money from an emerald mine in apartheid South Africa. One suspects his views are nothing new.  

Edited by Spockydog

1 hour ago, JGP said:

The back and forth was up on Twitter. For a while.

News to me. I'm not actually on the site. I'm just bummed I can't see anything anymore which really just means I can't see links to when podcasts drop.

Being someone who subscribes to sensible, compassionate, and best practices... I don't have much insight into how that would play out. I mean, he didn't pay in cash, right, so tanking the value and filling for bankruptcy could save him on financing the remainder, maybe? Just spitballing. 

Not sure. Some people think he's wrecking it just to wreck it, others think he's an idiot who just wrecked and others think there's some financial play here. Doesn't really matter, he's fucked this whole situation up royally while hurting his other business interests as faith in him decreases outside of a small minority.

Musk boondoggled the US Gov so hard it's no wonder they won't go after him. I'd be embarrassed, anyway.

Idk about that. It wouldn't surprise me if everything with Twitter ends up biting him in the ass including with the government.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

He's a child of South African apartheid. A spoilt rich kid whose family made their money from an emerald mine. One suspects his views are nothing new.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't he said he opposed apartheid and that the mining interests only led to some wealth for him? I thought his family was just wealthy in general. 

To be clear tesla is doing pretty amazingly well, especially outside the US. The model Y was the top selling car in the world for a bit - not electric car, any car. It's not as profitable as it was but it is making record revenue, and virtually every electric car company is now adopting their plug tech and making deals to use the charging network.

SpaceX is private so it's not perfectly clear how well its doing, but even with its recent stupidity it is doing decent to great, especially with the success of starling.

To be fair I now own a tesla because of Musk's incredible run of stupidity that drove down tesla prices by 25% in one year. But it's also the case that it's doing fine, though it is also absurdly overvalued.

24 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not actually on the site. 

I'm not either, anymore. But was then.

Being able to curate your experience became increasing difficult, then impossible. Bye bye, birdy.

Edited by JGP