Star Wars - PTTSD

DaveSumm

7 hours ago, Poobah said:

All our Farscape talk last thread manifested it.

When Ahsoka was in the Purgill and it was about to jump I said out loud to myself "Prepare for immediate starburst" lol.

I enjoyed this episode as well, so put me in that column. Yeah the distances are contrived but I'm ok with that in star wars.

3 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

It was fun and good and pretty!

Still do not remotely understand why the Dathomir witches are aligning with the Empire, but maybe they'll actually address it.

Also, I 100% doubt for a second that Thrawn would let his troopers be so fucking dirty. I get that they should look repaired and scavenged - I like that look on them and on the ship. But actual dirt? Come on, man. Thrawn has standards to keep up with. 

I kinda figured the Dathomir witches punched in the main galaxy in their Uber app, but were too cheap to splurge on UberX and so it was Thrawn and his beater star destroyer that rolled up, no doubt 20 minutes late.  We've all had those days.

Overall I had fun with this one as well.  I also got a no-deep-thinking-necessary laugh from the Howler Sabine interaction. 

Edited by horangi

42 minutes ago, karaddin said:

When Ahsoka was in the Purgill and it was about to jump I said out loud to myself "Prepare for immediate starburst" lol.

I enjoyed this episode as well, so put me in that column. Yeah the distances are contrived but I'm ok with that in star wars.

Then I want Pilot to show up… damn it!

8 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Also: George Lucas didn't turn into a rancid bigot weaponising his creation against a minority group, so there's that.

I mean I do believe in the clear separation of art and an artist , otherwise I won’t have been able to enjoy Chinatown or Rosemary’s Baby, but I agree with Wertheads point of HP unable to expand beyond films successfully. In that sense very few franchises have been able to achieve that, not even comic book ones or Avatar. LOTR has had some success but I don’t think anything comes close to matching SWs success with the EU and merchandising. 

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I mean I do believe in the clear separation of art and an artist , otherwise I won’t have been able to enjoy Chinatown or Rosemary’s Baby, but I agree with Wertheads point of HP unable to expand beyond films successfully. In that sense very few franchises have been able to achieve that, not even comic book ones or Avatar. LOTR has had some success but I don’t think anything comes close to matching SWs success with the EU and merchandising. 

I've read this from a couple angles, including upside down, and I just can't parse the emphasized. Comic book adaptations have branched out into animation, tv, film, and toys. Very many toys, and all sorts of merchandizing. 

So... what are you trying to say here, Rod?

4 hours ago, JGP said:

I've read this from a couple angles, including upside down, and I just can't parse the emphasized. Comic book adaptations have branched out into animation, tv, film, and toys. Very many toys, and all sorts of merchandizing. 

So... what are you trying to say here, Rod?

I was talking about the impact of the cinematic comic book movies in particular ,but yeah taken as a whole, comic books have reached that level of multimedia penetration I guess. 

11 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Still do not remotely understand why the Dathomir witches are aligning with the Empire, but maybe they'll actually address it.

They want to get the hell out of dodge and Thrawn, with his ship and his connection to Elsbeth and her resources  is their ride. It is more of a question why Morgan worked for and wants the return of the Empire, given what happened on Darthomir in the CW. Or why Palapatine didn't snuff her out, ditto.

I am enjoying the show, it is the best of non-Andor SW ones, IMHO.

6 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I mean I do believe in the clear separation of art and an artist , otherwise I won’t have been able to enjoy Chinatown or Rosemary’s Baby

Separation of art from the artist is fine to a point and I appreciate everyone's line on it is different, but I find it difficult to see how it can be achieved at all when she starts saying things like her critics now are what she was thinking of when she wrote the Death Eaters. It's an obvious lie, but it's what I mean by weaponising the stories.

Somewhat off-topic here I know but I think I needed to clarify the point.

So now we're talking about how people are evil for enjoying Harry Potter, lol

The lady is so rich, the next 8 generations for her family are set for life. Do what you want with your money, but know that from Rowling's POV it means nothing and never will.

Fandom claims to have invented a metric to measure the most valuable/important franchises across different dimensions (i.e. we look at how much traffic respective wikis get) just the other day.

Their 2023 ranking places SW at #1 after the MCU, Harry Potter at #6.

Bear in mind, One Piece and Barbie showing up feels like there's some built-in recency bias (aka media pickup friendliness).

18 minutes ago, Ran said:

Fandom claims to have invented a metric to measure the most valuable/important franchises across different dimensions (i.e. we look at how much traffic respective wikis get) just the other day.

Their 2023 ranking places SW at #1 after the MCU, Harry Potter at #6.

Bear in mind, One Piece and Barbie showing up feels like there's some built-in recency bias (aka media pickup friendliness).

One Piece is absolutely monstrous in Japan, but its footprint has definitely been smaller in the West. It's at #2 for total comic sales behind Superman and I think Oda is #2 behind JKR for something else although I'm forgetting the metric.

That said between the live action being successful on Netflix, a huge climax being reached in the anime and the manga revelations making it clear the story is approaching it's end there's absolutely a lot of recency bias there as well so you're probably not wrong that it's a factor too.

ETA: Ah I was misremembering - it's 3rd for book sales by a living author. 2nd is JKR and 1st is Danielle Steel (500 million copies and 800 million respectively as of a year ago). Danielle Steel is a long way ahead lol.

Edited by karaddin

34 minutes ago, karaddin said:

One Piece is absolutely monstrous in Japan, but its footprint has definitely been smaller in the West. It's at #2 for total comic sales behind Superman and I think Oda is #2 behind JKR for something else although I'm forgetting the metric.

That said between the live action being successful on Netflix, a huge climax being reached in the anime and the manga revelations making it clear the story is approaching it's end there's absolutely a lot of recency bias there as well so you're probably not wrong that it's a factor too.

Ohh, you are beyond right. If you ever travel to Japan, One Piece merchandise is all over the place. It's a huge, huge beast.

I've been a huge fan of the manga for decades and even though it's not my favorite manga, it's one that usually always puts a smile on my face.

On a side note, I'm very happy the live action show is doing quite well. After what happened to Cowboy Bebop last year, I was expecting just the worst, but luckily Oda insisted on keeping creative control of the live action series and even gave them stipulations on things they weren't allowed to do; like no romances between crew members allowed.

Edited by sifth

Tried to watch the first One Piece episode but the hotel TV where I was staying had motion smoothing on and it just looked whack. May give it another try, but I've a feeling it's whimsical pleasures will not be in my wheelhouse.