Star Wars - PTTSD

DaveSumm

6 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Well, he had the same amount of purpose as movie Darth Maul and General Grievous. Or Snoke. Or Captain Phasma. Or OT Boba Fett even.

His purpose was to obtain the map for Morgan. He succeeded. His purpose/impact was just over fairly quickly.

I think our frustration is not that he had no point; it's that he hinted at something cool beneath the surface but they never scratched deep enough.   

Maul and Grievous don’t belong on this list. 

9 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Maul and Grievous don’t belong on this list. 

Yes.  Maul had a clearly spoken two part objective.

Step1.  Reveal self to Jedi
Step 2. Have Revenge

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

Step 2. Have Revenge

The Clone Wars and Rebels both include Maul and dive into his character in considerable depth. 

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

The Clone Wars and Rebels both include Maul and dive into his character in considerable depth. 

That's why I included "movie" before Maul and Grievous. Their characters were pretty thin in their single film appearances.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of Maul. He was such a menacing presence in tPM. Grievous onscreen was just a mechanical beast. They were both plot driven. As are most things in SW.

But let's not pretend all the OT and PT characters were well rounded developed characters. Baylan's story and motivation were short changed in Ashoka, but in the Star Wars universe (outside of Andor), it's more common than not. 

Edited by Myrddin

22 hours ago, Rhom said:

Step 2. Have Revenge

This just reminded me of a list that was going around back when Episode I (or maybe even the Episode I trailer) came out where well-known Star Wars lines had the word "pants" subbed in somwhere. 

"At last we will reveal our pants to the Jedi" is the one that stuck with me and I still laugh way more than I should at it.

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I’ve gotta admit guys, after finishing this show at last, it’s finally changed my perspective on Andor. It’s now the second most boring SW thing for me , after Ahsoka by a wide margin. 

and I fucking loved Silence

:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

So, I've been on a studying the structure of story binge, and decided to look up Tony Gilroy's work to see how he's evolved as a storyteller over the years. His first screenplay? The Cutting Edge.

#toepick 

I was in ninth grade.  I made out during most of that film.  Don't remember much else about it. 

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Matthew Vaughan is making noise about, “they should reboot Star Wars.” 

https://giphy.com/gifs/popcorn-bill-hader-actors-gl0mkIZOW6Nwc

Better yet, let it die and create something new and fascinating and captivating. 

4 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Wasn’t that Kylie Ren’s whole thing in Last Jedi…

See? Evil.

New stuff, bad. Same stuff over and over and tweaked a little and callback after a few tweaks and again and again until we're all dead, good. 

(if it wasn't clear that was the ironic joke i was trying to make in my previous post i didn't really mean to tell anyone to fuck off you bastards)

:mellow: