Whatcha Watching?

Ramsay B.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Tell you what I'm not watching, this fucking thing. Like this doesn't just miss the point it fucking spits on it.

I turned this on for 10 mins out of curiosity and it was abhorrent. On top of it just being a bad idea, it’s soooo American in the way it’s produced. There are just long gaps of pointless chat and set up, and the actual action doesn’t get going for ages. It’s horrible.

15 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

So Lynch's Dune was bad. Every genius has a fucked up dream child. Denis' way better, still no match for the book. Will catch the sequel on the big screen for sure.

Sure it’s a bad movie sort of, but I also strangely like it a little bit more than the Villeneuve one for some reason. The recent version is just so cold and grey, and the Lynch version is so batshit crazy at times. I love the visuals in the Lynch version as well, the Navigator entrance blew my mind.

It is a bad movie, I’ll admit that, it’s pacing is bad and it doesn’t sit together at all, but there is a lot to love about it

52 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I nearly finished Cheers.

I must say I liked Diane far more than Rebecca and her weird golddigger plotlines.

However Fraiser and Lilith are just awesome and Woody grew on me too.

I've seen bits and pieces here and there but I never really watched Cheers. Frasier, on the other hand, I quite like. I saw they made the updated version, with Frasier moving back to Boston, to become closer to his son so I started watching it which led to original Frasier rewatch. At the moment, I'm at the end of season 2.

Edited by baxus

21 minutes ago, baxus said:

I've seen bits and pieces here and there but I never really watched Cheers. Frasier, on the other hand, I quite like. I saw they made the updated version, with Frasier moving back to Boston, to become closer to his son so I started watching it which led to original Frasier rewatch. At the moment, I'm at the end of season 2.

I never watched any of it back in the day and watched Fraiser for the first time earlier this year. 

Frasier is a great show. I watched it all the time as a little kid and it still holds up today. Grammer's politics suck, but he is a very good actor. Dude has also had a very tragic personal life. 

It's randomly funny that his daughter voices Summer on Rick and Morty. 

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Sure it’s a bad movie sort of, but I also strangely like it a little bit more than the Villeneuve one for some reason. The recent version is just so cold and grey, and the Lynch version is so batshit crazy at times. I love the visuals in the Lynch version as well, the Navigator entrance blew my mind.

It is a bad movie, I’ll admit that, it’s pacing is bad and it doesn’t sit together at all, but there is a lot to love about it

Some of those moments were great! Just deserved a better whole

4 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

The Wire beats every other series. Period.

Hide contents

S2 only, still. And not that I've seen as much shows as you oldies here.

Season 2 is pure American history genius -- the obituary of the ascension of the American Dream.  And so involving!

Edited by Zorral

8 hours ago, Zorral said:

Season 2 is pure American history genius -- the obituary of the ascension of the American Dream.  And so involving!

As someone from a former shipbuilding/coal mining/working class town S2 resonated so much more with me. Though I recognise its not for some as it was much more of a slow burn. 

I went to the theatre last night to see Napoleon and now I feel betrayed by Sir Ridley. Such a terrible film, I actually fell asleep a few times during whatever this was supposed to be. It's really a massive let down in comparison to Gladiator or The Last Duel or even the almost 50 year old The Duelists.

I'm usually quick to excuse Scott's historical inaccuracies. His approach is not ideal, but if the story he tells is exciting, then who cares that he twists some historical facts the wrong way around. It's the overall vibe that counts. This film, however, baffled me by defecating on history without actually offering anything compelling  in return.

Like, the battle scenes in Gladiator are historical bull crap, but at least you get pumped when Maximus leads the opening charge in Germania. Here I was looking at the muddled interpretation of Napoleonic warfare and constantly asking myself what am I looking at? Who am I looking at? Why are they even fighting? And why should I even care?

There are no stakes. Nothing is exciting or memorable. Phoenix gives one of the worst performances of his career and Vanessa Kirby is kind of there as well, but I simply failed to care for her, her relationship with Napoleon and that doomed this film since it's clearly the only thing it cares for.

I also hated the score. Terribly lazy. It used 'Dawn' from Pride & Prejudice (2005) twice and it made me angry. That's such a special song, how dare they smear shit all over it by associating it with this raging garbage fire.

9 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I also hated the score. Terribly lazy. It used 'Dawn' from Pride & Prejudice (2005) twice and it made me angry. That's such a special song, how dare they smear shit all over it by associating it with this raging garbage fire.

Having listened to the score several times, there are a few cues that sound as though they were lifted from Assassin's Creed: Valhalla. Further to that, composer Martin Phipps said Scott gave him very little guidance around what he wanted to hear, and only spoke to the composer several times. 

None of which is terribly encouraging. Especially in light of how disjointed and thematically non-cohesive it all sounds. 

26 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

It used 'Dawn' from Pride & Prejudice (2005) twice and it made me angry.

You're not the first to notice!

https://www.themarysue.com/napoleons-use-of-this-song-was-so-disorientingand-familiar/

Did Marianelli grant Scott and Phipps permission to use it in the score?

Edited by IlyaP

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

You're not the first to notice!

https://www.themarysue.com/napoleons-use-of-this-song-was-so-disorientingand-familiar/

Did Marianelli grant Scott and Phipps permission to use it in the score?

Most likely yes, otherwise the lawyers will have their field day. Good article you link to, as it gives even more context to why this choice is so baffling. I was just mad since I love Pride & Prejudice, and it felt wrong to have its most recognizable musical piece being defiled in this shit film.

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

Having listened to the score several times, there are a few cues that sound as though they were lifted from Assassin's Creed: Valhalla. Further to that, composer Martin Phipps said Scott gave him very little guidance around what he wanted to hear, and only spoke to the composer several times. 

None of which is terribly encouraging. Especially in light of how disjointed and thematically non-cohesive it all sounds. 

I feel like Ridley just wants to crank out as many films as possible and is not overly concerned with quality control anymore.