Marvel: The Echo of Profitability

Rhom

9 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I mean the guy was in jail over doing hard drugs just a few years before Iron man, I’d call that as a huge risk at that point in his life. 

By the time of Iron Man, RDJ had done Zodiac, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Good Night and Good Luck in the previous couple of years. He also did Tropic Thunder in the same year as Iron Man.

If he was a risk, then others, including David Fincher, had taken a big risk on him already and he'd proved he was going to give good performances and probably wasn't a total train wreck.

I just don't see that it was some amazing leftfield move to get him in, after Zodiac his star was already shining pretty high and plenty of people were jizzing themselves over his return to form in KKBB. 

I don't think Marvel were even at the point of thinking about an MCU, there were far too many other things to worry about than whether RDJ would be sober enough for a movie in 5 years time. 

If you want to talk about risky, then maybe point to RDJ's blacking up for Tropic Thunder! 

Edited by Heartofice

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

By the time of Iron Man, RDJ had done Zodiac, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Good Night and Good Luck in the previous couple of years.

Yeah you can add Gothika and about five other smaller/independent films to that list.  He even co-produced an independent film!  By the time he was cast in Iron Man he'd been sober/in recovery for five years and was well on the comeback trail.

21 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I don't think Marvel were even at the point of thinking about an MCU, there were far too many other things to worry about than whether RDJ would be sober enough for a movie in 5 years time. 

They absolutely were, that's why Samuel Jackson was in it and RDJ was in the Hulk movie. Also there was a change of CEO shortly after Marvel Studios was founded (after Iron Man and Hulk were started but before they came out) supposedly partly because Avi Arad didn't believe in that plan. 

That said, in skimming wikipedia for the dates and details. Favreau specifically said he didn't want to cast a big star and that the superhero would carry the movie commercially, not the actor - so it is a later-added myth that RDJ was a risk in that sense. 

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

That said, in skimming wikipedia for the dates and details. Favreau specifically said he didn't want to cast a big star and that the superhero would carry the movie commercially, not the actor - so it is a later-added myth that RDJ was a risk in that sense. 

Yeah according to the wiki page the other actors considered were Jim Caviezel, Timothy Olyphant, and Sam Rockwell.  Caviezel was coming off being Jesus in Passion, but still, not exactly the biggest stars.  It's very funny imagining Raylan Givens as Tony Stark though.

I think the problem with comparing RDJ's casting to something like the Majors' situation is Downey was hardly the first movie star (or even major director!) to have serious drug problems and come out the other end.  Hollywood fundamentally treats drug problems differently than how they (well, at least these days) deal with domestic violence issues.  As they should.

• 4 weeks later...

X-Men '97 creator, Beau DeMayo, has been fired, just ahead of the show's premiere next week.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/marvel-shocker-x-men-97-creator-beau-demayo-fired-1235850423/

No reasons have been given for his firing, but he deleted his Instagram account.

DeMayo had also been a writer for Moon Knight and the upcoming Blade movie.

14 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

X-Men '97 creator, Beau DeMayo, has been fired, just ahead of the show's premiere next week.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/marvel-shocker-x-men-97-creator-beau-demayo-fired-1235850423/

No reasons have been given for his firing, but he deleted his Instagram account.

DeMayo had also been a writer for Moon Knight and the upcoming Blade movie.

There's rumors about him being physically and verbally abusive in the work place, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

There's rumors about him being physically and verbally abusive in the work place, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

Whether he was or not, how do people still think they can get away with this shit in 2024?

On 2/18/2024 at 6:12 PM, SpaceChampion said:

I don't know any of these characters, does this claim hold up?

I can't read the subsequent posts because I don't have a twitter account.

However, this would not surprise me. There were allegations of comic book writers in the 90's and 00's recycling old storylines IIRC. I don't think anything came of it. 

23 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Does that mean it'll have less yellow in it?

Seriously I don't get it. Each to their own but the original run of this show might be one of my least favorite animated series. 

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Does that mean it'll have less yellow in it?

Seriously I don't get it. Each to their own but the original run of this show might be one of my least favorite animated series. 

The animation wasn't to a high standard, but as someone who was reading the comics from around the time the cartoon came out, it was really cool to see familiar storylines play out on the screen. They drew in particular from the Claremont era, and also the massive relaunch under Jim Lee, so you get characters like Omega Red showing up. That was, at the time, pretty neat.

That said, Batman: The Animated Series started airing the same year, and it absolutely trounced X-Men on pretty much all levels -- animation, design, story, voice acting, writing. Spectacular cartoon. Really looking forward to the new Bruce Timm-led Batman: Caped Crusader. Hopefully it'll be out sometime this year.

Edited by Ran

1 hour ago, Ran said:

The animation wasn't to a high standard, but as someone who was reading the comics from around the time the cartoon came out, it was really cool to see familiar storylines play out on the screen. They drew in particular from the Claremont era, and also the massive relaunch under Jim Lee, so you get characters like Omega Red showing up. That was, at the time, pretty neat.

I did most of my comic buying in the 80's. I bought the Secret Wars off the rack back in '85. Spider-Man appeared in the black suit in a Spider-Man comic (I was also collecting) before he got the suit in Secret Wars. Mind blown. I wish I kept those books. If I knew then...

I was also a big X-Men fan at the time. But I never got into the animated show. Yeah, the animation was bad but it was also pretty underwhelming to me in general. 

That said, Batman: The Animated Series started airing the same year, and it absolutely trounced X-Men on pretty much all levels -- animation, design, story, voice acting, writing. Spectacular cartoon. Really looking forward to the new Bruce Timm-led Batman: Caped Crusader. Hopefully it'll be out sometime this year.

At the time, Batman TAS and Superman TAS were perfect. Everything I could want. and yeah, head and shoulders above the X-Men series. 

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I was also a massive Xmen fan at the time, collected the comics. Tuned in to the show.. fucking Jubilee appears.. naaaah. Goodbye.

Spiderman the animated show, now that was good.

Fun fact, did you know that Fox set up rules for that Spider Man show. One was that Spider Man couldn’t punch anyone. If you go back and watch the show you’ll constantly see Peter webbing his enemies and then kicking them. It’s rather funny.

Been making my way through the latest season of "What If..."  I still have one more to go, but overall I've found it to be kind of underwhelming.  Boy, they sure fell in love with the Captain Carter character, and now that seems to mean that these stories are crossing over.  I was particularly disappointed in the 1602 story.  I was intrigued by the idea of an Avengers story set in that timeframe...but why were Hela and Thor the monarchs of England? Why is Happy Hogan some sort of weird Hulk spin-off (is this a cross-over from the earlier episode)? That idea seems like needed a lot more fleshing out, and instead is just seems like they were all their modern characters transported to that timeframe. And we have Dr. Strange popping up in several episodes (again, the crossover stuff).  I just kind of wish they were standalone stories in their own settings.

X-Men 97...can't say I expected the animation of my yoinder years with the treatment of the stories being on the level of my older self...if that makes sense. 

Though I cannot believe how many storyline seem to have been crammed into the first two episodes...

On 3/13/2024 at 4:01 PM, Ran said:

I was talking to some of my friends about this, but X-Men did have one thing that Batman did not, it was way more serialized and relied more on continuing and developing storylines over Batman's more episodic structure. As a kid who hadn't gotten into anime yet and wasn't into comics, X-Men was one of the first animated shows I saw that eschewed the episodic format and that was huge for me. Spider-Man (and a host of other shows like Exo-Squad and Gargoyles) did that as well, but X-Men came first and that was a big reason why it was THE show for me back then. 

Was Batman a better show? Yeah, probably, but for a dumb kid looking for something a bit "more adult" than TMNT, X-Men was the shit.

On 3/13/2024 at 5:15 PM, Heartofice said:

I was also a massive Xmen fan at the time, collected the comics. Tuned in to the show.. fucking Jubilee appears.. naaaah. Goodbye.

Spiderman the animated show, now that was good.

Loved Spider-Man back in the day, I tried rewatching it about 10-15 years ago and... nope. Doesn't really hold up. Sometimes... things should just stay as distant memories in your childhood.