Star Wars: Far Far Away From What You Want It To Be

SpaceChampion

40 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I mean by that logic the whole of fucking Hollywood knew for decades,including cinematic stalwarts like Tarantino who’s famously outspoken but didn’t do shit about Weinstein. Just seems like an odd thing to complain about her when looking at the trailer alone there are thousand things that feel wrong. 

It’s the same thing with Joss Whedon, but no one wanted to confront him until Justice League 

Fair enough

1 hour ago, sifth said:

Right, she's innocent as a little puppy dog. She clearly had no idea what her employer was doing, truly what was I thinking, lol

Ghislaine Maxwell notwithstanding, it's actually quite rare for a rapist to schedule their rapes with their PA. And she had the job for a year, it's not as if she was some longstanding confidante. There's no reason to assume she knew any more than anyone else did, and if there was any evidence at all she'd helped him do it, which is what you said, she'd be on trial. Like Maxwell.

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

Be specific, because this was a LONG LONG time ago.. in a galaxy...

Erm...I...thought...Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II was pretty cool? :D

Just now, IlyaP said:

Erm...I...thought...Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II was pretty cool? :D

Happy to hear it.

I have this vague recollection of the 90's where I thought Star Wars was awesome.. from there it's been a series of crushing waves of disappointment. 

15 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Happy to hear it.

I have this vague recollection of the 90's where I thought Star Wars was awesome.. from there it's been a series of crushing waves of disappointment. 

I liked Star Wars more when it felt like creaky old, 70s Doctor Who sets and you felt like you could see goblins and mischevous miscreants peaking around the corner, and crap like canon wasn't important.

(TBF, I also found Rebels unexpectedly entertaining, but it's basically a harmless kid's show, but it also has Kevin Kiner and co working on the music, and I have a soft spot for the Kiner brothers.)

What era is this show supposed to be set in?  Pre-prequels, I guess?  But like hundreds of years prior, or just a bit prior?  I know the comics have a series set a few hundred years prior to ANH.  "High Republic" or something...

ETA:  I looked it up myself.  Apparently about 100 years before The Phantom Menace.  Odds there will be a Yoda cameo?

Edited by HokieStone

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Ghislaine Maxwell...

Just popped in to check the conversation vectors and I see they've gone off the rails nicely. Well done, people. (slow clap)... (slow clap, indeed)

There are plenty of examples of people who are simultaneously high-profile-respectable and low-profile-scumbags. See Jimmy Saville. The idea that some low level flunkie who fetched coffee for him for a year would have detailed knowledge of his low-profile-scumbaggery is reaching just a little bit. 

In other news, It's been two days and I still haven't seen the trailer yet! I might actually fucking make it this time!!!** FREEEEEEDOOOOOOOOMMMmm...

**I accidentally saw the poster and yeah it's kinda cool I guess. 

Anybody playing Star Wars Unlimited?  It's the new TCG not owned by Hasbro or Disney - which means it's actually really fucking good.  I've gone to a few events and my friends and I have all bought a couple boxes of cards, and so far we've had an absolute blast playing it.

4 hours ago, HokieStone said:

What era is this show supposed to be set in?  Pre-prequels, I guess?  But like hundreds of years prior, or just a bit prior?  I know the comics have a series set a few hundred years prior to ANH.  "High Republic" or something...

ETA:  I looked it up myself.  Apparently about 100 years before The Phantom Menace.  Odds there will be a Yoda cameo?

3 hours ago, Ran said:

*Shakes Magic 8-Ball*

YOU MAY RELY ON IT

Not just Yoda, but also Yaddle, voiced by Bryce Dallas Howard, and possibly any non-human council member we saw in TPM.

12 hours ago, Heartofice said:

It’s funny how quickly The Volume went from being the saviour of modern special effects to something producers have to declare they aren’t using to advertise their shows. 

Quite the turnaround.

The Volume is really good at doing a certain number of things, and The Mandalorian employed those things really well.

The main problem since then is that everyone started using the Volume for every single thing whether it was a good idea or not. So the vast arctic alien landscape in S1 of The Mandalorian obviously makes sense to do in the Volume. Something they also did that was great was moving, dangerous environments, so all the stuff with the sandcrawler on Tatooine in the Mando vs. Jawa incident was excellent.

Since then, we've seen quite a lot of "using the Volume to create a perfectly ordinary fucking forest, of which apparently they have none in California or Britain," which is where it falls over, as when the Volume is compared to a 100% real environment it falls apart almost instantly. When you're using it to do absolutely crazy environments that cannot exist in reality but they want the actor to react to it, it makes sense. Doing Dune on location 100% absolutely added to the effect, which sticking it in the Volume would not have done.

I also had some issues where House of the Dragon recreated real locations or sets previously used on GoT in the Volume - or Warner Brothers' non-copyright-infringing-equivalent - and it looked fucking awful because we were used to the real thing (the long causeway steps on Dragonstone come to mind).

9 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I mean by that logic the whole of fucking Hollywood knew for decades,including cinematic stalwarts like Tarantino who’s famously outspoken but didn’t do shit about Weinstein. Just seems like an odd thing to complain about her when looking at the trailer alone there are thousand things that feel wrong. 

It’s the same thing with Joss Whedon, but no one wanted to confront him until Justice League 

Peter Jackson receiving a list of actresses from Weinstein not to use in the Lord of the Rings movies and him just following it without thinking about it until like 20 years later is a bit wild as well. I must admit I also found Jackson's fawning attitude to Weinstein after he fucked him over on LotR to be a bit odd.

Edited by Werthead

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

I also had some issues where House of the Dragon recreated real locations or sets previously used on GoT in the Volume - or Warner Brothers' non-copyright-infringing-equivalent - and it looked fucking awful because we were used to the real thing (the long causeway steps on Dragonstone come to mind).

This is about where I tapped out. This scene in particular screamed out green screen/volume to me and I was completely de-immersed. It looked dreadful. Why not just use a physical location?

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Peter Jackson receiving a list of actresses from Weinstein not to use in the Lord of the Rings movies and him just following it without thinking about it until like 20 years later is a bit wild as well. I must admit I also found Jackson's fawning attitude to Weinstein after he fucked him over on LotR to be a bit odd.

Really? Weinstein told Jackson to NOT use certain actresses? Why?!

5 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Really? Weinstein told Jackson to NOT use certain actresses? Why?!

I’d never heard the story before… but I mean… the implication is pretty clear, no?