US Politics: Chaos Made to Border

Trump’s legal expenses reached a ‘staggering’ level in 2023
If the latest reporting is accurate, Donald Trump spent nearly $1 million per week, every week for a year, on his legal expenses — and he used donor money.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/maddowblog/trumps-legal-expenses-reached-staggering-level-2023-rcna136576

Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley called on Republicans to stop short of giving women the "death penalty" for abortions.

"So what should we do? I think we find consensus. Can't we agree to ban late-term abortions?" she asked. "And can't we agree that no state law should say to a woman that if she has an abortion, she's going to jail or get the death penalty."

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley called on Republicans to stop short of giving women the "death penalty" for abortions.

"So what should we do? I think we find consensus. Can't we agree to ban late-term abortions?" she asked. "And can't we agree that no state law should say to a woman that if she has an abortion, she's going to jail or get the death penalty."

How nice of her. /s

Side note, politician, writer and nasty arsehole extraordinaire JD Vance on George Stephanopoulos programme  almost begged Mango to put him on the ticket as his running mate. :eek:

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

"VEEP is a documentary."

Although, one can't be sure if it's about Harris or Haley.

Interesting that the only federal laws "reasonable" republicans are willing to entertain are the ones that ban abortion. So People like Haley aren't looking for consensus at all, at least not consensus with Democrats.

https://apnews.com/article/congress-border-security-ukraine-a39e188fa2c6a563203d2c69eaabdc6d

Senate Republicans are now blocking the bill they spent months negotiating due to Trump. McConnell shouldn't be surprised - this is the legacy he put forward with holding the scotus nomination in 2016 - but it is remarkable how incredibly incompetent the government is and how unserious they are about solving any issues.

This of course will delay if not outright kill aid to Ukraine. Israel aid is already being voted on by the house.

8 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

https://apnews.com/article/congress-border-security-ukraine-a39e188fa2c6a563203d2c69eaabdc6d

Senate Republicans are now blocking the bill they spent months negotiating due to Trump. McConnell shouldn't be surprised - this is the legacy he put forward with holding the scotus nomination in 2016 - but it is remarkable how incredibly incompetent the government is and how unserious they are about solving any issues.

This of course will delay if not outright kill aid to Ukraine. Israel aid is already being voted on by the house.

Not convicting the orange clown in the senate was arguably the bigger error.

Breaking news --

Trump has no immunity from Jan. 6 prosecution, appeals court rules

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/02/06/trump-jan-6-immunity-appeal-denied/

Of course, though, They are already filing reviews for appeal -- it will go to SCOTUS, and however it turns out, the DELAYING until AFTER the election will be successful.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not convicting the orange clown in the senate was arguably the bigger error.

I dunno, if McConnell hadn't dangled that open justice seat as an election issue to galvanize conservatives, there's a good chance Trump would have lost to Hilary in 2016, which would have butterflied away the later decision on conviction.

(still, it's not either/or. He fucked us majorly on both decisions)

Edited by Phylum of Alexandria

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

Breaking news --

Trump has no immunity from Jan. 6 prosecution, appeals court rules

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/02/06/trump-jan-6-immunity-appeal-denied/

Of course, though, They are already filing reviews for appeal -- it will go to SCOTUS, and however it turns out, the DELAYING until AFTER the election will be successful.

Only if SCOTUS takes up the case on the merits. They may not want to touch it given judges on both sides are saying the same thing plus former judges, legal scholars and well, everyone but him. That seems more likely to me than them taking it up and declaring a former President immune. If they deny cert, trial likely in late spring I think.

Edited by Mexal

11 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Only if SCOTUS takes up the case on the merits. They may not want to touch it given judges on both sides are saying the same thing plus former judges, legal scholars and well, everyone but him. That seems more likely to me than them taking it up and declaring a former President immune. If they deny cert, trial likely in late spring I think.

Let’s hope so, but I’m cynical.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

I think they have to take the case.  There is a real chance that Trump is convicted on at least one criminal charge, and if that happens, we need this issue to be resolved by the Supreme Court, whatever the ruling, and much preferably before any conviction.  Trump would appeal any conviction all the way to the Supreme Court, and the SC denying cert or picking up the case at that point would be 10x worse than just handling the case now.  

Super pleased with the Michigan mass shooters mother being convicted and being held responsible.

Ive long advocated and whole heartedely agree that parents bare a responsibility when their offspring commit egregious acts.

Im perfectly fine with being held accountable were I in such shoes and hope this spreads to more such legal accountability from truancy to shoplifting and bullying.

Your kids a nuisance to society, were locking you up for being a pos parent, I absolutely embrace that, its about time.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Really can't make this shit up.

This is just unbelievable.

But I encounter people/students all the time who don't have a computer or even a tablet, expecting they can do actual WORK on their fones, work that involves research, citations, spread sheets, foot notes and many pages of text and graphics.

People frequently wonder that I have always had at least one computer, on which I, you know, write, keep running bibliographies and research sources, and do other work.  I only got a smart fone relatively recently because 1) I had to; 2) cameras got good, not great or as good as my handhelds, but good enough for travel recording and sharing.

Fones are for fun/socializing, which isn't the same as doing work.  That's why, boyzngirrlz these are different words.

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

This is just unbelievable.

But I encounter people/students all the time who don't have a computer or even a tablet, expecting they can do actual WORK on their fones, work that involves research, citations, spread sheets, foot notes and many pages of text and graphics.

People frequently wonder that I have always had at least one computer, on which I, you know, write, keep running bibliographies and research sources, and do other work.  I only got a smart fone relatively recently because 1) I had to; 2) cameras got good, not great or as good as my handhelds, but good enough for travel recording and sharing.

Fones are for fun/socializing, which isn't the same as doing work.  That's why, boyzngirrlz these are different words.

It’s crazy for students nowadays not to have one, definitely. Sometimes students are arseholes who try to get away w/ ridiculous things; I know coz I was one such sometimes. 
But the attorney for the former president? In a major criminal case? It’s just so utterly stupid and pathetic… And maybe it’s a lie similar to “the dog ate my homework”, but if it is, it’s the dumbest most stupid and pathetic lie one could come up with. The whole thing is hilarious, whichever way you look at it! :rofl: