US Politics: Chaos Made to Border

Shocking no one the senate tanked its own negotiated bipartisan bill on immigration control and foreign aid:

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/senate-vote-border-bill-aid-02-07-24/index.html

“I have a difficult time understanding again how anyone else in the future is going to want to be on that negotiating team — on anything — if we are going to be against it,” the senator from Alaska told CNN.

Some weird shenanigans there:

A procedural vote to advance the bipartisan border security deal and foreign aid package with aid for Ukraine and Israel has failed.

The vote was 49 to 50. At least 60 votes were needed for it to move forward.

Senate Republicans were expected to block it amid opposition from former President Donald Trump and top House Republicans.

Here are some of the notable votes:

GOP “yes” votes from Sens. James Lankford, Lisa Murkowski, Susan Collins and Mitt Romney

Democratic “no” votes from Sens. Bob Menendez, Alex Padilla, Elizabeth Warren and Ed Markey

Independent Sen. Bernie Sanders voted “no"

Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell also voted “no"

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer voted "no" — which allows him to make a procedural maneuver in the future to bring it back up.

Parliamentary maneuvering is so fucking weird.

Anyway, they're now trying to do a massive last-minute shift to vote for just foreign aid, but chances aren't great. 

It probably doesn't matter. Considering the House politics it's mostly dead anyways unless there's some massive shift from the Republican side which seems unlikely. I can see aid for Israel getting through, but who knows with Ukraine and Taiwan and it's clear fixing the issues with the border is probably a dead end. I hope I'm wrong, but the signals seem telling.  

Yes, it's obvious that it's wokeness that is the problem here. /s

Also, :rofl:

ETA: only just saw that the person setting the "end wokeness" user straight is none other than the QAnon Shaman! It just keeps getting better and better! :lol:

Edited by kissdbyfire

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

GOP Candidate Burns Missouri Public Library Books with Flamethrower
Secretary of state candidate Valentina Gomez torches books in campaign video

https://www.meidastouch.com/news/gop-candidate-burns-missouri-public-library-books-with-flamethrower

Anybody voting for book burners wasn't paying attention in Civics, History, West Civ, Government, or Economics.  Probably slept through all their English classes, too.

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

ETA: only just saw that the person setting the "end wokeness" user straight is none other than the QAnon Shaman! It just keeps getting better and better! :lol:

QAnon Shaman had best be careful, the MAGAts aQAnon don't like to be told uncomfortable facts by anyone.  Next thing yanno, he might find his tires have all been knifed.   :dunno:

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yes, it's obvious that it's wokeness that is the problem here. /s

Also, :rofl:

Who wasn't a bisexual who preferred men back then? You study that region and that time period enough you can be forgiven for coming away with the impression that women / marriage was for producing heirs, men were for fun and pleasure.

18 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Who wasn't a bisexual who preferred men back then? You study that region and that time period enough you can be forgiven for coming away with the impression that women / marriage was for producing heirs, men were for fun and pleasure.

At least when it came to Greeks -- though not, supposedly, the Spartans, but, as we all know, there are many silly ideas about the Spartans.

But certainly the Athenians, etc.  It isn't an impression.  It was The Way, though hedged around with the proper protocols and behaviors -- and age and class cohorts protocols too --, which all knew, and which if not observed, drew opprobrium and ridicule.  A middle-aged man, mooning about a youth and trying to seduce him, was hooted at.  None of that exempted the proper man from marrying and fathering children.

And not all men leaned that way, not even in Athens or Macedonia -- there were reasons hetairas were present -- all male preference niches had to exist, after all!

Let us not forget child sex, which was rife everywhere among all the cultures among those who could afford those slaves or afford to patronize the brothels that specialized in that 'service.'

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Fucking right we are. 

On 2/6/2024 at 6:08 PM, Jace, Extat said:

What is... Shouting From A Balcony in Munich?

I mean, I'm down with a lot of things... but going to jail over your kid not showing up at school??

Whats next is the mass shooters pos dad is to be tried.

I predict his sentencing will be even harsher, they say he bought the boy the weapon he used to murder his schoolmates.

Im not at all sure what you are asking about truancy cases, there should be consequences for parents when their minor children steal or commit violent acts, you shouldnt spawn them and leave the rest of society to suffer from their harmful behavior. The jury fealt the parents were culpable, the verdict reflects that and I applaud it.

Hum, no.

Generally speaking, the kids commit the crime, they should be held accountable. But here the parents were a contributing factor.

Quite detour in istory. Let'S go back to Clumbine, because we can't talk school shootings without it.

The Klebolds strike me as fairly decent people (going by all the subsequent reporting). I don't think they did anything that warrants them getting criminally punished. They didn't provide him or Harris with firearms or anything of that sort.

58 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Whats next is the mass shooters pos dad is to be tried.

I predict his sentencing will be even harsher, they say he bought the boy the weapon he used to murder his schoolmates.

Im not at all sure what you are asking about truancy cases, there should be consequences for parents when their minor children steal or commit violent acts, you shouldnt spawn them and leave the rest of society to suffer from their harmful behavior. The jury fealt the parents were culpable, the verdict reflects that and I applaud it.

Sure, buy your kid a gun, that's a crime.  But truancy?  Putting a parent in jail for truancy alone is not going to help that kid or their situation.  Not even the same ball park.  

Eta: at that point, why not start jailing parents for school lunch debt?

Edited by Larry of the Lawn

7 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

Sure, buy your kid a gun, that's a crime.  But truancy?  Putting a parent in jail for truancy alone is not going to help that kid or their situation.  Not even the same ball park.  

I dont think i specified jail for truancy, i think fines might be better. Anything that links consequences for the parents to the chidrens bad behavior. Obviously truancy isnt as egregious as violence or theft so the skin in the game wouldnt be on the same level.

14 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

My prediction is that we'll see the first case of this before the end of the year.