Watch, Watched, Watching: Watching Severance and working for Lumon

Veltigar

Finished S3 of Slow Horses . Overall this is a very good series that is easily binged. You could get an entire season in about 3 hours, I almost did.  S3 did go a little farther into an absurd situation. 

Spoiler

Obviously the whole go kill unarmed MI5 agents is way over the top. At least they showed us a few of the storm troopers questioning the orders and hesitating.

Looking forward to S4.

Watched One Day. It’s pretty much the big hit on Netflix right now, all the ladies are crying over it.

I never saw the movie and I didn’t read the book, but I remember the movie was meant to be bad and a betrayal for book fans.

Either way, the show was sort of good.. ish. It just felt, a bit like it was meant to tick a lot of emotional boxes, and it’s absolutely a female gaze show. Even though there is a male character it all had this twilight quality where it’s really all female wish fulfilment. Which is probably why it didn’t really vibe with me. I get why a female audience would love it though, and even some men. I was just too conscious of the clear tropes in play for it to hit me.

12 minutes ago, Padraig said:

And Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.  Truly imaginative but brutally honest.  Great movie.

Eternal Sunshine is easily my favorite "romantic" movie ever.

So, I see within the last 24 hours we've had people rewatch Godfather and LOTR with decidedly negative feedback.  I'd just like to clarify I've done the legwork and just rewatched Citizen Kane, Shawshank Redemption, Goodfellas, Schindler's List, Chinatown, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Silence of the Lambs, It's a Wonderful Life, and Wizard of Oz.  No need for concern!  They all suck.

19 hours ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

My gf asked me to watch Love is Blind with her so we watched some episodes yesterday.   Watching that show does little to dispel the notion that there will be gameshows in which losing contestants are executed within the next 50 years.

God I hope so !

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

So which are your "at least 5" examples?

Jeremiah Johnson

Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean

Deliverance

Slaughterhouse Five

Silent Running

Poseidon Adventure 

bonuses

Shaft’s Big Score

Blackula

SuperFly. 

eta Poseidon Adventure

Edited by hauberk

So went to see Dune part 2.

The cinema had this 4Dx viewing that sounded interesting. Like a bit of vibration, some smells and lighting stuff. Sounded cool.

Walked out after 10 minutes.

Honestly unbearable. Imagine trying to watch a movie while sitting on a rollercoaster! What the absolute fuck. I almost puked during the trailers!

44 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

So went to see Dune part 2.

The cinema had this 4Dx viewing that sounded interesting. Like a bit of vibration, some smells and lighting stuff. Sounded cool.

Walked out after 10 minutes.

Honestly unbearable. Imagine trying to watch a movie while sitting on a rollercoaster! What the absolute fuck. I almost puked during the trailers!

That sounds horrific. 

35 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

That sounds horrific. 

It was.

So the movie opens and the camera tracks up a sand dune, as that happens your seat goes back and then down again as they go down the hill. That was bad enough, then someone picks up a rock, your seat vibrates violently, someone throws a rock, your seat vibrates as if you got shot, air shoots into your head, lights flash.

It would be hard to think of a worse way to watch a movie. 

On 2/28/2024 at 6:36 AM, Ramsay B. said:

That’s pretty crazy to me. How someone can watch that movie and not remember Keoghan or at least his character :dunno:.

I don't always have complete recall of every film/TV episode I watch or book I read even if I really enjoy it at the time. Whilst my concentration is not what it used to be, I do try really hard to give my full attention to a film or show if I am watching it intentionally (i.e. not look at my phone or talk over it). :dunno:

I dunno, I have a full time job (which depending on staffing and workload leaves me mentally wiped out more often that not) plus two other part time jobs and most of my 'free time' goes towards a professional qualification I'm working on. So when I do take time to watch a film or whatever, I want to immerse myself in it. My lack of recall is probably something to do with lack of processing time, so stuff doesn't get filed into my memory long term. I'm too busy trying to memorise antibiotics! 

Went to see Dune part two last night. It's a nonstop/in your face/look away and you'll miss something film. I was desperate for a toilet break for the last hour but I opted to be uncomfortable instead as I knew I'd miss something important if I went out. I really feel like I need to see it again to decide how I feel about the way it all balances out. Maybe 8/10 on first viewing? Javier Bardem was my favourite thing about it. Felt like he was the most 'nailed it' of the characters.

55 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It was.

So the movie opens and the camera tracks up a sand dune, as that happens your seat goes back and then down again as they go down the hill. That was bad enough, then someone picks up a rock, your seat vibrates violently, someone throws a rock, your seat vibrates as if you got shot, air shoots into your head, lights flash.

It would be hard to think of a worse way to watch a movie. 

Like the Reader who prefers his history to be written in ink, I prefer the visual and sound effects of a movie to safely stay behind the screen. :P

Watched Inglourious Basterds, and I actually liked it a bit more than I have done previous times. I've remarked before that Tarantino's increasing tendency to gleeful  depictions of sadistic violence, with lots of screaming and flailing, is one of the things I don't particularly like of later Tarantino films, and Basterds certainly has its share of it... but there's something rather charming in the way he homages post-war B-movies and references German cinema, and Christoph Waltz was of course given an incredible breakthrough role. 

Watched 20 Days in Mariupol, the harrowing documentary that gives just what it promises, through the camera of Evgeniy Maloletka and his fellow AP reporters, some of the very few journalists who stayed in Mariupol during the first three weeks of the invasion, and who captured some of the most unforgettable footage of that time (I particularly recall the maternity hospital bombing,  and this film shows how they came to be on site so quickly; I recall arguing with a Russian ex-pat elsewhere who claimed it was all actors and fake news, and they remark on that surreal aspect as well, as their connection to the outside world was spotty.) Some hard, hard things to watch in this one.

The way a local police officer made it his mission to get them out of Mariupol so that the Russians couldn't capture them and use them for disinformation propaganda, and the way hospital staff prepared to try and hide them in case the Russians came (by dressing them in hospital uniforms), was pretty remarkable. There was a recognition that what they were documenting was historic, and needed to get out to the world.

Now most of the way through Richard Linklater's episode of HBO's God Save Texas, a limited series of documentaries about various aspects of life in Texas. He grew up in Huntsville, the prison and execution capital of Texas, and the episode is largely focused on how that touches all aspects of life in the city. Linklater's a great director, and he's on camera quite a lot, reacquainting himself with old friends from high school and college, many of them who ended up involved with the prison system on one side of the bars or another.

Tokyo Vice is half way through its season, and the fifth episode was really very good, with an especially good close. And Masters of the Air was pretty good this last episode as well, I thought, though it does feel a little awkward that

Spoiler

the "Great Escape" is off-screen and only affects them indirectly. Which is absolutely accurate, because it was the British prisoners who made the escape, but still, feels weirdly anti-climactic. They're now trying to play up Buck and Bucky trying to make a break for it, but I don't know how far they can go with that one...

3 minutes ago, Padraig said:

I do think Godfather is a work of genius at least!

Well that's a start! 

To be clear I wasn't intending to cast any aspersions at all on anybody else's opinion, just thought the coincidence was very amusing.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Well that's a start! 

To be clear I wasn't intending to cast any aspersions at all on anybody else's opinion, just thought the coincidence was very amusing.

I would be unrepentant regardless. Aside from the ponderous filming, the absurdly over the top, even by 1970’s standards, scene chewing by James Caan in the death of Sonny sequence was pretty unfortunate. 

15 minutes ago, hauberk said:

the absurdly over the top, even by 1970’s standards, scene chewing by James Caan in the death of Sonny sequence was pretty unfortunate. 

Sonny "beating up" Carlo is a much better example of something that didn't age well.  Like, it's very clear he's not even in the vicinity of actually punching him.

As for Sonny getting shot at the tollbooth, um, k?  Mafia hits were way over the top back in the day, which was obviously the intent of that scene.  Also not sure how taking, like, thirty bullets really constitutes chewing scenery.

49 minutes ago, DMC said:

Sonny "beating up" Carlo is a much better example of something that didn't age well.  Like, it's very clear he's not even in the vicinity of actually punching him.

As for Sonny getting shot at the tollbooth, um, k?  Mafia hits were way over the top back in the day, which was obviously the intent of that scene.  Also not sure how taking, like, thirty bullets really constitutes chewing scenery.

Agreed about Sonny and Carlo. The amount of rounds fired was not the over the top part. The over the top part was the amount of lead thrown at Sonny BEFORE Jimmy Caan got it of the car to deliver his scene chewing death stagger/spasm. 

1 minute ago, hauberk said:

to deliver his scene chewing death stagger/spasm. 

To be clear, here's the scene:

I dunno, seems fine to me.  And again, that's really not what I'd describe as chewing scenery.  Like, Jimmy Caan is taking direction for getting shot repeatedly.  The fuck else is he supposed to react?

1 hour ago, DMC said:

To be clear, here's the scene:

I dunno, seems fine to me.  And again, that's really not what I'd describe as chewing scenery.  Like, Jimmy Caan is taking direction for getting shot repeatedly.  The fuck else is he supposed to react?

He takes a conservative dozen rounds of .45 into the upper torso before climbing out the passenger seat - into the fire, standing upright and doing his little dance.  It's well above over the top. 

You are right though, it wasn't Caan's fault.  It's a poorly constructed scene.  Coppola was in over his depth.