UK politics - not inspiring but effective

BigFatCoward

On 3/11/2024 at 5:02 PM, Ran said:

I assumed it was some sort of Norman French name, but no, it's rooted in Old English  but perhaps with Norman French orthography.  maybe in how it ended up trying to fit the original Anglo-Saxon, Ceolmundleah, which meant "Ceolmund's clearing", Ceolmund being a personal name.

Also, discovered that Cholmondeley is pronunced... as Chumley? Those always fascinate me.

The Norman French ones tend to keep the French spelling but change pronunciation, e.g. Beaulieu (Bewley) and Belvoir (Beaver)

Posted (edited)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-68544205 

how is this only now a thing? Its weird because in the MET, any pregnancy related sickness is paid and does not count against your sick record, i assumed most governmental organisations would have a similar policy.  That the NHS is behind the curve on this is perverse. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

According to Spanish media, Kate Middleton’s operation wasn’t planned, she was in a coma, intubated, and it was feared she would die.

link is in Spanish, can’t speak to the reliability of the outlet. There’s a UK media blackout regarding it apparently 

https://www.telecinco.es/fiesta/20240203/concha-calleja-responde-casa-real-britanica-kate-middleton-salud_18_011609808.html

Telecinco is (or was...) a Berlusconi owned media outlet considered to be pretty far to the right politically and not extremely reliable when it comes to news (though not what you'd call a tabloid, either). They are supposed to know their gossip, though. In the article they're very careful to attribute the news to the individual journalist Concha Calleja, who claims she has a reliable source and has been covering the ins and outs of the British Royal Family for 27 years. I'd never heard of her before today, but then I don't really follow this kind of news.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

According to Spanish media, Kate Middleton’s operation wasn’t planned, she was in a coma, intubated, and it was feared she would die.

link is in Spanish, can’t speak to the reliability of the outlet. There’s a UK media blackout regarding it apparently 

https://www.telecinco.es/fiesta/20240203/concha-calleja-responde-casa-real-britanica-kate-middleton-salud_18_011609808.html

15 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Preposterous though this is, i would like it to be true as that would be the end of the monarchy. 

Hush, you'd be part of the coverup. And then maybe leak the details later for a big check. Respect, btw. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Have you been drinking too much Rioja? 

She said.  I didn't say. :D 

Actually, despite the gorgeousness of the wines, I've been downright abstemious.  We get up far too early and go through until late.  Also I had to give three history presentations.* Which did not discourage a signicant number of our travelers' wine consumption in the least.  I ws really impressed.  Now we are decompressing and getting some sleep for 3 days before going home. NOW WE SHOP, drink wine, and sleep.

* I have the glorious satisfaction of bringing Visigothic awareness to a hundred people.  Also informing them the Black Death was universal from Asia through all of North and Sahellian Africa, and Europe -- not just something limited to England, whiich for some reason many of them thought.  So thus also brought Mongols into their consciousnes as well.  Thoough one of the Travelers went to Mongolia (by herself) last year, so she, of course already knew!

7 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

My dad thinks Kate had an affair with Thomas Kingston and William found out and murdered him.

This is preposterous, yet at the same time the Mail printing a denial that William missing a memorial service for had nothing to do with Kingston's death, when as far as I can tell nobody had thought that it did, is perfect grist for the rumour mill. 

Moving on from the trailer for Murder In Kensington, further shabby stuff from Lindsay Hoyle today when PMQs was dominated by arguments about racist, sexist comments about Diane Abbott, but Hoyle somehow couldn't find time to allow Diane Abbott to actually speak about the subject.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68556911

So previously he was so upset about the idea that people were allegedly threatening MPs that he abandoned tradition, but today he could not abandon tradition to allow a member to respond to a man saying she should be shot. I'm not a huge fan of Abbott (her record as a frontbencher anyway, as a backbench MP she's done some admirable things) but Hoyle is a weak Speaker who needs to go.

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Preposterous though this is, i would like it to be true as that would be the end of the monarchy. 

I didn't know anything about Kingston's but had run through a similar scenario where it was Kate that he'd killed and actually wanted to ask you something as a result:

If you were instructed to investigate William over something like this what would you do? Because I'm pretty sure the very next thing I did would be handing in my resignation lol

7 hours ago, karaddin said:

If you were instructed to investigate William over something like this what would you do? Because I'm pretty sure the very next thing I did would be handing in my resignation lol

And pass up the chance to bring down the Royal family? I'd be planting evidence left right and centre, it would be like making a murderer on an industrial scale. 

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That''d be an interesting question, could you make up more evidence than they could cover up with their money?

Could BFC make up enough evidance before he gets assinated? might be a more important question.