US Politics: Courting Justice...or Disaster?

50 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

The persistence and maybe even worsening of this antivaxx trend is very discouraging. Not to mention completely idiotic and incredibly selfish. 

On a mostly unrelated note - and I say mostly b/c all this stuff connects through stupidity - conservatives in the US apparently want to ban recreational sex. At least this brilliant idea is one that will likely hurt them more than anyone else. 

https://www.alternet.org/experts-gop-end-recreational/

"Conservatives have to lead the way in restoring sex to its true purpose, & ending recreational sex & senseless use of birth control pills."

If they get birth control pills banned, a helluva a lot of recreational sex will vanish. Pregnancy + no access to abortion is a grim combination.

31 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

If they get birth control pills banned, a helluva a lot of recreational sex will vanish. Pregnancy + no access to abortion is a grim combination.

Believe it or not, I think that's an optimistic view. The pessimistic view is that no pill + no abortion of any type = a huge increase in unsafe backalley abortions *and* a huge increase in unwanted pregancies. It's insane to think that people will give up sex unless it's for procreation b/c the demented christofascists told them to.

46 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I’m very sceptical about that. Recreational sex is far too popular to be drastically affected by that. People will likely just become more careless. 

Women are used to sexual freedom, indeed, and I agree with you, Kissd, that there will be a big increase in unwanted pregnancies. But things will change after a few years of suffering, I think it could go back to the way it was before the pill came out. People have always had recreational sex, just not in the amount our generation enjoyed.

18 minutes ago, House Balstroko said:

I’m very sceptical about that. Recreational sex is far too popular to be drastically affected by that. People will likely just become more careless. 

Out if curiosity, are you male or female, and how old are you? I suspect reality will hit hard for females.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Out if curiosity, are you male or female, and how old are you? I suspect reality will hit hard for females.

I’m male. It’s more of a general statement, not specifically targeting either men or women, though you are obviously right in your assessment. 

4 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

The persistence and maybe even worsening of this antivaxx trend is very discouraging. Not to mention completely idiotic and incredibly selfish. 

On a mostly unrelated note - and I say mostly b/c all this stuff connects through stupidity - conservatives in the US apparently want to ban recreational sex. At least this brilliant idea is one that will likely hurt them more than anyone else. 

https://www.alternet.org/experts-gop-end-recreational/

"Conservatives have to lead the way in restoring sex to its true purpose, & ending recreational sex & senseless use of birth control pills."

Honestly, these weirdos suddenly showed up and utterly destroyed the party of small government.

As Republicans, we should be standing for less government interference in the private lives of individuals.  Not printing up manifestos that declare all non-creative sex as sodomy.

The last thing I want is Ted Cruz peering into my, or anyone else's, bedroom and suggesting that what we are up to isn't appropriate.  Anyone subscribing to this sort of nonsense has truly forsaken the ideals of Eisenhower - they are the RINO.

These recent reports about Christian nationalist agendas for the Trump administration could potentially be used as a wedge to divide the MAGA coalition and weaken it.

Alt-right edge lords and wannabe-libertarian Rogan bros don't want prudes censoring them or dictating their sex lives. Now, I doubt many of them would outright join the side of the lefty scolds they love to hate. But at very least it might be possible to get them to look at Trump's Christ coalition with apprehension (rightfully so), and maybe vote 3rd party.

Obviously, this would be most relevant for political strategists. But if any of you happen to know someone of either leaning, getting them to think about real potential ramifications for them in a Trump presidency powered by a Christian fascist movement might at the very least give them pause about their vote in the coming election.

National Rifle Association and Wayne LaPierre are found liable in lawsuit over lavish spending
Jurors ordered the former NRA chief to pay $4.3M in restitution.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/02/23/nra-lapierre-lawsuit-lavish-spending-00143038

NEW YORK — The National Rifle Association and its former longtime leader were found liable Friday in a lawsuit centered on the organization’s lavish spending.

The New York jury found that Wayne LaPierre, who was the NRA’s CEO for three decades, misspent millions of dollars of the group’s money on pricey perks.

The verdict is a win for New York Attorney General Letitia James, a Democrat who campaigned on investigating the NRA’s not-for-profit status. It is the latest blow to the powerful group, which in recent years has been beset by financial troubles and dwindling membership. LaPierre, its longtime face, announced his resignation on the eve of the trial.

Jurors ordered LaPierre to pay $4,351,231 in restitution. NRA general counsel John Frazer and retired finance chief Wilson Phillips were also defendants in the case.

1 hour ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Alt-right edge lords and wannabe-libertarian Rogan bros don't want prudes censoring them or dictating their sex lives. Now, I doubt many of them would outright join the side of the lefty scolds they love to hate. But at very least it might be possible to get them to look at Trump's Christ coalition with apprehension (rightfully so), and maybe vote 3rd party.

That would only work if those so called Christians were consistent in their beliefs and not practising Biblical textualism a la carte.

You could possibly chip away at the remaining Republican women voters.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

11 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That would only work if those so called Christians were consistent in their beliefs and not practising Biblical textualism a la carte.

You could possibly chip away at the remaining Republican women voters.

Idk about that. I think Trump actually made small gains among white women between 2016 and 2020. 

4 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

JFC, how can this nutter not only be a judge but the Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court???????? :ack:

Don’t forget that Roy Moore twice held the same position. The second time after having been originally removed for defying a federal order. 

10 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Idk about that. I think Trump actually made small gains among white women between 2016 and 2020. 

I'm hoping what we've seen since the Dobbs decision with voting in Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia, the special election in NY, etc. indicates that's been strongly reversed.

Anyway, joking aside, that Alabama ruling has the potential to be as bad as Dobbs (if not worse) if/when it finds its way to the Supremes. The key issue would be Life  begins at conception, or ascribing personhood (and all the rights that go with it) to the unborn. You can see where this is going. For those who can't, that would be the Supremes literally ruling Abortion = Murder and then best of luck finding a Doctor prescribing Plan B (and a company delvering it), let alone an abortion pill or performing an abortion at any stage.

On the other side of the coin there's also the entirety of the IVF industry. They do genetic screenings to filter out embryos with genetic defects, the freezing/unfreezing process kills/destroys quite a few etc.

In short this ruling is a real nightmare for women in need of an abortion and families wanting to get pregnant via IVF alike.

But hey let's talk a bit more about Biden's age, or his dogs biting Secret Service agents.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

Trump got only 60.8% of the vote in SC and Nikki Haley got ca. 39%. She will stay in the race. A significant amount of her voters  (some probably being independents and democrats) said they won’t vote for Trump in the general election. Since SC is one of the most conservative states out there that doesn’t look good for him IMHO. He will eventually win the nomination, but it shows that not all republicans are part of his cult.

in regards to the above: there’s also the fact that a lot of eggs do get fertilized but the female body rejects them and they get „aborted“ naturally, sometimes without the woman even noticing( stillbirth?!) So you would have to prosecute lots of women for murder and the men for assessory to murder…

Edited by Bironic

1 hour ago, Bironic said:

Trump got only 60.8% of the vote in SC and Nikki Haley got ca. 39%. She will stay in the race. A significant amount of her voters  (some probably being independents and democrats) said they won’t vote for Trump in the general election. Since SC is one of the most conservative states out there that doesn’t look good for him IMHO. He will eventually win the nomination, but it shows that not all republicans are part of his cult.

in regards to the above: there’s also the fact that a lot of eggs do get fertilized but the female body rejects them and they get „aborted“ naturally, sometimes without the woman even noticing( stillbirth?!) So you would have to prosecute lots of women for murder and the men for assessory to murder…

I'm pretty sure SC has a closed primary. So those Haley never (again) Trumpers would be registered Republicans.

As for the second there's another problem, I don't think stillbirth would be prosecutable as alas it's god will and he does shitty stuff for reasons. Alas, people with IVF experience may well correct me here. IVF clinics also use several fertilized eggs, which could lead to a multiple pregnancy (to not put the women through more procedures than necessary), if I am not mistaken. Carrying a pregnancy with more than one fetus to term is more risky for women and feti.

Like I said that Alabama ruling is horrendous on many, many levels. So let's wait for Alito penning the majority opinion, once it reaches the Supremes.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Anyway, joking aside, that Alabama ruling has the potential to be as bad as Dobbs (if not worse) if/when it finds its way to the Supremes. The key issue would be Life  begins at conception, or ascribing personhood (and all the rights that go with it) to the unborn. You can see where this is going. For those who can't, that would be the Supremes literally ruling Abortion = Murder and then best of luck finding a Doctor prescribing Plan B (and a company delvering it), let alone an abortion pill or performing an abortion at any stage.

On the other side of the coin there's also the entirety of the IVF industry. They do genetic screenings to filter out embryos with genetic defects, the freezing/unfreezing process kills/destroys quite a few etc.

In short this ruling is a real nightmare for women in need of an abortion and families wanting to get pregnant via IVF alike.

But hey let's talk a bit more about Biden's age, or his dogs biting Secret Service agents.

Well, if there's one thing Christo-fascists respect more than god it's capitalism and money. SCOTUS won't make a decision that gets in the way of corporations making profits from making babies.