Friends: TV Show 1994 - 2004 (Sitcoms)

30 minutes ago, DMC said:

And, yeah, it was apparently one of his favorite shirts.  That doesn't change the fact him going to the extent he did to get it back is an indication of being cheap.

yeah, we are miles apart on this, i think you are literally deranged at this point. 

I don't think it's really a new criticism, it's just maybe more common now. 

Ross was mentioned by my highschool English teacher when we read Merchant of Venice of being a contemporary example of a stereotype.  The college I went to in the early 2000s had a student body that was about 40% Jewish students.  Friends leaning hard on a Jewish stereotype was definitely something that came up in conversation every once in a while, including in a literature class on comedy.

Whether it is or isn't, it was certainly something being mentioned and discussed at the time the show was on. 

51 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

IIRC he never once mentioned any value of the shirt,  

Well i guess it couldn't have been from Dan Flashes. 

17 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It's a common criticism of the show NOW. That is a reflection of where society is now that this ever really comes up as an issue. If sociology in your state is trying to paint Ross as an antisemitic trope then maybe thats no bad thing.

LOL, no, it was a common criticism at the time too.  I know, you did a google!  But if you lived with Jewish people at that time or immediately after like I did, it would inevitably come up.  Your life experience is different, which, again, is great!  But don't tell me my own is not relevant to a topic on a TV show about six twenty/thirty something white people living in NYC during the nineties.

As for the bolded, heh, figures.  Come to Florida, there's plentiful beaches and hate!

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

i think you are literally deranged at this point. 

Hokay there.  Thanks for the personal attack!

This has nothing to do with anything really, but it’s so weird hearing people talk about them not being clear whether Rachel is Jewish. Is there a reason they should be? Should she be Jewish? Are they clear about Chandler not being Jewish? It reminds me of Bob Mortimer’s tweets from a while back;

I wonder if Matt Damon likes orange Calippos… you just can’t tell from his acting, very frustrating 

Genuinely not trying to weigh in to any side of an argument, I think it’s just the UK / US thing again. It just doesn’t occur to people in the UK to ask these questions.

9 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Genuinely not trying to weigh in to any side of an argument, I think it’s just the UK / US thing again. It just doesn’t occur to people in the UK to ask these questions.

Yeah, my wife didn't even know that they were Jewish, and she is of the age that watched friends on E4 on a loop for about 10 years non stop at 1700-1800 every day. 

I thoroughly enjoy this British snobbery about not being able to recognize antisemitic tropes.  You know why about forty percent of the Jewish diaspora is in the US?  Because you guys oppressed them, at the least.

I don't really get the argument that it wasn't clear the Gellars were jewish.  It is explicitly mentioned in multiple episodes.  I don't have a problem with Monica's character, I don't see much overlap between her flaws and anti-semitic tropes.  Ross is a very unlikable character in a lot of ways, but if I were to say his biggest flaw it is his jealousy and insecurity, which don't exactly fit with anti-semitism.  But he has a lot of other flaws as well, and some of them do indeed touch on anti-semitism, although I wouldn't say he's particularly egregious in that regard. 

For the show as a whole, I loved it the first few seasons.  I am surprised that so many people criticize the show as not being funny, I feel like it was a very funny show in the first 4-5 seasons.  The later seasons were more hit or miss as Fladerization really takes its toll after season 5.  A lot of the humor (and characters) have not aged well, and I don't particularly want to rewatch it again for that reason.  But as a show of it's time, it deserved the popularity it had.

I'll rank them for characters I like the best, because i most enjoyed scenes with them in it. 

1. Chandler

2. Rachel

3. Joey

4. Monica

5. Phoebe

6. Ross

When you think about it, yes, it was obvious the Gellers were Jewish.

But, here in the UK, it simply didn't matter.   Ross mentions Hannukah and 5 minutes later we've moved on and his religion is totally irrelevant .....  

If there was any stereotyping of Jews it went completely over the heads of most people - at the time, anyway.

On 3/3/2024 at 4:10 AM, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Who is worse, Ted or Ross?

Ross. Always Ross.  Ted may have been more deliberate in his telling of his tale, an idea that presents his character as possibly being more than he truly was.  I can, usually, forgive him (but don't get me started on the finale...) as he alternates from making himself be too good to be true, and also too pathetic. But Ross was just the worst. 

On 3/3/2024 at 7:35 AM, DMC said:

HIMYM is a poor man's Friends at best.  Which means decidedly unwatchable.

Agree to diasgree. HIMYM is (except for the last 30 minutes of the show) entirely more re-watchable than Friends.  HIMYM's ability to maintain its internal timeline and consistency is remarkable. It's use of running gags was a highlight. One of it's est gags was it's piss take on Friends during the second season.  Ultimately, it's a personal choice for everyone, but I'll always take HIMYM over Friends.

17 hours ago, Werthead said:

I think she was the best actor in the show, but Schwimmer is probably the best actor of the cast given the quality of his post-Friends work. Hell, I remember Band of Brothers airing when Friends was still on the air and everyone was very impressed with his role in that. I just don't think he was always best-used on Friends itself, apart from making Ross ever more unlikable.

Hard to disagree here, but I think Perry doesn't get enough respect. It's a travesty he never quite was able to find a vehicle to showcase his talents post Friends.  But he was an absolute favorite of mine as one of the guest cast on The Good Wife.

As for rankings, it's hard, as has been mentioned, none of the Friends are actually great people:

1. Chandler

2. Joey

3. Monica

4. Rachel

5. Phoebe

6. Ross

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Ross. Always Ross.  Ted may have been more deliberate in his telling of his tale, an idea that presents his character as possibly being more than he truly was.  I can, usually, forgive him (but don't get me started on the finale...) as he alternates from making himself be too good to be true, and also too pathetic. But Ross was just the worst. 

Agree to diasgree. HIMYM is (except for the last 30 minutes of the show) entirely more re-watchable than Friends.  HIMYM's ability to maintain its internal timeline and consistency is remarkable. It's use of running gags was a highlight. One of it's est gags was it's piss take on Friends during the second season.  Ultimately, it's a personal choice for everyone, but I'll always take HIMYM over Friends.

Hard to disagree here, but I think Perry doesn't get enough respect. It's a travesty he never quite was able to find a vehicle to showcase his talents post Friends.  But he was an absolute favorite of mine as one of the guest cast on The Good Wife.

As for rankings, it's hard, as has been mentioned, none of the Friends are actually great people:

1. Chandler

2. Joey

3. Monica

4. Rachel

5. Phoebe

6. Ross

Perry was in a few West Wing episodes as a White House lawyer

For the record, again, I’m British and I find the idea that nobody on this side of the pond knew or cared that the Gellers were Jewish to be weird. I guess it’s possible that folks had never knowingly met a Jewish person or watched any sitcom or film set in New York before?

ps no less a source than the Friends fandom wiki:

https://friends.fandom.com/wiki/Ross_Geller

Despite being financially secure, Ross is notoriously cheap.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllJewsAreCheapskates

Ross Geller from Friends. At times also his sister, Monica, as in "The One Where Rosita Dies" where Phoebe Buffay refers to the Geller siblings as "the worst tippers in the world" after having them as massage clients.

An academic citation!

https://eloncdn.blob.core.windows.net/eu3/sites/153/2018/12/04-Maoz.pdf

A second stereotype is that of the cheap Jew […] while Ross makes a good wage as a palaeontologist at a museum, he still displays moments of the stereotypical cheap Jew

And yeah I did waste my time actually looking this up! :D

8 hours ago, mormont said:

For the record, again, I’m British and I find the idea that nobody on this side of the pond knew or cared that the Gellers were Jewish to be weird. I guess it’s possible that folks had never knowingly met a Jewish person or watched any sitcom or film set in New York before?

ps no less a source than the Friends fandom wiki:

https://friends.fandom.com/wiki/Ross_Geller

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllJewsAreCheapskates

An academic citation!

https://eloncdn.blob.core.windows.net/eu3/sites/153/2018/12/04-Maoz.pdf

And yeah I did waste my time actually looking this up! :D

And despite that this thread shows there's more evidence of him being generous than being cheap. I.e. he's just a person, sometimes we are tight, sometimes generous, it's not a racial stereotype. 

Agendas are going to agenda i suppose. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

7 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

HIMYM's ability to maintain its internal timeline and consistency is remarkable. It's use of running gags was a highlight.

Also: Neil Patrick Harris is astonishing and a sight to behold.