Dune part 2: the spoilers must flow (Spoilers for the movies)

Kalbear

I think Part 3 opens with the holy war in full swing, Paul tries to reconcile with Chani, she maybe takes part in the conspiracy against him but recants and they reconcile, she falls pregnant and after a handy timeskip, she has his children, dies.

I don't rule out them combining Messiah and Children in some fashion, although that's possibly a tall order.

6 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Great news, everyone!

I’m not gonna watch that video, but surely everyone loved the movie. Weirdly it has a strong, competent female character who kicks men’s asses and conservatives still love it. Almost as if it’s not strong women who are the issue. 

Anyway, don’t derail the thread by going off on this tangent. Dune puts everything Marvel has done to shame, on every level. 

So odd question but it really stood out in an otherwise gorgeous film.  So in the attack at the end there is one extended shot with two armies seeming to run at each other on screen from mid - top and bottom of the screen.  The problem is the bottom army was only running in place and not moving.  Very odd looking and distracting.  Did anyone else notice this?  Was it like planned that way weirdly or just a VFX glitch?

4 hours ago, Slurktan said:

So odd question but it really stood out in an otherwise gorgeous film.  So in the attack at the end there is one extended shot with two armies seeming to run at each other on screen from mid - top and bottom of the screen.  The problem is the bottom army was only running in place and not moving.  Very odd looking and distracting.  Did anyone else notice this?  Was it like planned that way weirdly or just a VFX glitch?

I thought the camera was moving with the fremen army. 

A question.

Paul may be considered as a villain, by some,  for unleashing the Jihad.

But, was he was just supposed to kill hinself, and the Fremen to accept eternal Harkonnen rule, as the alternative?

And drawing parallels (as some do), with Daenerys’ anti-slavery campaign, in GOT.  Is the message to oppressed peoples basically “Suck it up. You should count your blessings?”

Edited by SeanF

53 minutes ago, SeanF said:

But, was he was just supposed to kill hinself, and the Fremen to accept eternal Harkonnen rule, as the alternative?

But those weren't the only two options. They were just the only options on the table once Paul made the knowing decision to manipulate the Fremen. The jihad isn't the inevitable result of Fremen freedom  - it's the inevitable result of achieving that freedom via Paul's manipulation of their beliefs. 

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

A question.

Paul may be considered as a villain, by some,  for unleashing the Jihad.

And drawing parallels (as some do), with Daenerys’ anti-slavery campaign, in GOT.  Is the message to oppressed peoples basically “Suck it up. You should count your blessings?”

That's the question you are supposed to be asking.

Spoiler

The books make the argument that without first Paul and later Leto II's intervention, the human race would have become extinct within the next few millennia. Though Paul and Leto II's actions are monstrous and kill billions, they arguably extend the future existence of humanity tens of thousands of years, if not indefinitely, into the future.

Something that is repeatedly implied is that Paul and Leto's actions kill far more people and result in vastly more evil and destruction than allowing a Harkonnen victory in Dune would have done, at least in the short term.

On 3/15/2024 at 10:53 PM, Werthead said:

Hide contents

The books make the argument that without first Paul and later Leto II's intervention, the human race would have become extinct within the next few millennia. Though Paul and Leto II's actions are monstrous and kill billions, they arguably extend the future existence of humanity tens of thousands of years, if not indefinitely, into the future.

Something that is repeatedly implied is that Paul and Leto's actions kill far more people and result in vastly more evil and destruction than allowing a Harkonnen victory in Dune would have done, at least in the short term.

Frank Herbert's The Trolley Problem 

On 3/15/2024 at 3:53 PM, Werthead said:

Reveal hidden contents

No.

I'll explain later. My tablet needs to recharge and I'm doing a lot of shitting today. 

As Werthead explained:

Spoiler

Paul really is the messiah, though the Bene Gesserit had no clue when they planted that legend that it might actually come true. Just as they had no clue who/what they had created with their breeding program. Paul is a failed messiah, though, because he refused to give up his humanity, as Leto then did.

Paul's mission was never about the Fremen, of course, or the Harkonnen, or the emperor. The later books make that clear.

What a stunning film. Visually, I would be very surprised if anything else came close this year. However, Furiosa is still coming, so it might be a very interesting year for the technical awards. 

This film was meant to be seen in IMAX. I also thought that it was a lot more gripping than the first film. I would definitely be curious to know more about this universe.

50 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Haven't seen the Wild Robot trailer I see.

I had not. It's a beautiful trailer. Made me speechless with emotion for a bit. Thanks for the recommendation.

13 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

How do you guys think the tragic end of Dune 3 would be recieved if DV gets to make it? Do you think it will be less successful with audiences ? 

Well it hardly felt like Dune was this bombastic triumphal conclusion so I doubt audiences will mind. Bigger questions would be whether Dune 3 would use just Messiah as a basis or would it need to take more story from Children of Dune. Messiah is a bit of a thin book really, I can't see it making a particularly engrossing movie on it's own, but it also ends at a point that kind of demands another movie. So unless they have specific plans for it, I am pretty unsure of how they will approach it.

I just read that Dune 3 is probably going to be a thing. I'm a bit surprised, since apparently Villeneuve wants to write and direct it himself. He must really be into the source material to spent his creative prime years solely on this property :)