US politics - Yes country for old men

Give DMC a break here.

Haven't you watched Gremlins?

Don't you know what happens to them when you grade a Florida student after midnight?

I have no idea either. In absence of an alternative theory (and since it's Florida), I just assume grading a Florida student after midnight turns those benign a young Floridians into Trump employees number x, y, z in a federal indictment. Clearly nobody wants or needs that. So let this man grade.

See, I have your back here, bro.

6 hours ago, Jace, Extat said:

Don't need to nuke Iran. A no-fly zone and indefinite Air Curfew would probably stop them indefinitely... and no need for boots on the ground. We can run the entire campaign from 15,000 feet with enough drones to block out the sun. For as long as it takes. 

Hip, hip! Hooray!

:cheers:

Do you think maybe that frequent rhetoric similar to this from multiple American politicians and media outlets over the years (along with seeing what happened to Saddam and Gaddafi) might possibly constitute a very strong incentive for Iran to develop a nuclear weapons program? Do you think that the USA adopting your position might constitute a very strong incentive for Iran to develop functioning nuclear weapons as quickly as they possibly can, no matter the cost?

Like, I know you're being facetious, but come on.

EVERY country that has achieved the ability to build a bomb has done so based on the justification it is their sovereign right to do so for their own self-defense.  And..that's hard to argue against as the only government that's actually used nuclear weapons.

It's frankly extraordinary non-proliferation was as successful as it was, but that's out the door now.

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Give DMC a break here.

Haven't you watched Gremlins?

Don't you know what happens to them when you grade a Florida student after midnight?

You missed a key thing. What happens to Florida students when you feed them after midnight when they're also on coke, molly, meth, synthetic weed or all of the above? The latter down there is called Tuesday. 

9 hours ago, Jace, Extat said:

Don't need to nuke Iran. A no-fly zone and indefinite Air Curfew would probably stop them indefinitely... and no need for boots on the ground. We can run the entire campaign from 15,000 feet with enough drones to block out the sun. For as long as it takes. 

Hip, hip! Hooray!

:cheers:

So basically no viable alternative to the Obama nuke deal, is what I'm seeing. So do nothing, and we're seeing what do nothing is doing.

5 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

You missed a key thing. What happens to Florida students when you feed them after midnight when they're also on coke, molly, meth, synthetic weed or all of the above? The latter down there is called Tuesday. 

They get fired from the strip club. :dunno:

On 3/13/2024 at 8:50 AM, Larry of the Lawn said:

Yeah, that's awful.  Nothing that horrific, but my little brother is 17 and it's been a nightmare trying to get him to unlearn a bunch of the shit pouring out of the right wing toxic masculinity Andrew Tate aligned crowd that he's come across through gaming and gaming discord. 

A big reason I chose to leave academia (aside from a huge pay increase) last year after getting my PhD was related to this. Back in 2019, I pitched to my committee (for a preliminary comp exam/dissertation proposal) the idea of researching how gamer culture is radicalizing young, white men. All they could hear were "video games." They literally said no, go do something with "veterans" (because I'm a vet). Within two years, this became a growing area of research. I remember one of my advisors brought it to me after hearing about it on a podcast saying, "That's kind of like your idea! Why didn't you do it?"

This issue is pressing and at least is beginning to be researched.

Edited by Centrist Simon Steele

6 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Please stop with this garbage sneering at the kids DMC is doing his best to educate, particularly as u need a whole lotta educating yourself.

Janitorial company hired minors to clean slaughterhouses, US Labor Dept. says

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/22/business/child-labor-slaughterhouses-labor-department/index.html

The U.S. Labor Department on Wednesday requested that a federal court issue a temporary injunction against Tennessee-based Fayette Janitorial Services after investigators found the company “employed children to clean and sanitize spaces and equipment during overnight shifts” in meat and poultry slaughtering establishments, according to a federal complaint.

“Minors were used to clean dangerous kill floor equipment such as head splitters, jaw pullers, meat bandsaws, and neck clippers,” the Labor Department said in a news release Wednesday.

38 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Please stop with this garbage sneering at the kids DMC is doing his best to educate, particularly as u need a whole lotta educating yourself.

Guess all Florida Man jokes are not fair game now. Should I also get you a fainting couch? 

11 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Do you think maybe that frequent rhetoric similar to this from multiple American politicians and media outlets over the years (along with seeing what happened to Saddam and Gaddafi) might possibly constitute a very strong incentive for Iran to develop a nuclear weapons program? Do you think that the USA adopting your position might constitute a very strong incentive for Iran to develop functioning nuclear weapons as quickly as they possibly can, no matter the cost?

Like, I know you're being facetious, but come on.

Honestly, nah... I don't think that changes anything. Why or whatfor is ultimately irrelevant. I'm in the now, and now calls for action to prevent this occurrence. Nobody wants to see Iran with the bomb, who cares what drove them to go after it.

10 hours ago, DMC said:

EVERY country that has achieved the ability to build a bomb has done so based on the justification it is their sovereign right to do so for their own self-defense.  And..that's hard to argue against as the only government that's actually used nuclear weapons.

It's frankly extraordinary non-proliferation was as successful as it was, but that's out the door now.

No way. No way can we just take our hands off the wheel and let the number of nuclear powers increase. It's not about being fair or even consistent- it's about not letting the global security situation become unmanageable. 

The idea that a state has a right to get the bomb is one that I have to combat. No, no, no.

8 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So basically no viable alternative to the Obama nuke deal, is what I'm seeing. So do nothing, and we're seeing what do nothing is doing.

No, I laid out a little scenario that would be functional and even fashionable. Air enforcement. Sure, it's horrible. Lot of people would die... America would look a little evil for a while. 

But the upside is putting a cap on nuclear proliferation while demonstrating the capacities of American arms as we head into a second cold war with China. Also, we can finally start exploring ICBM interception capabilities and start producing them at scale. Once we have a way to keep drones equipped with anti-nuke methods in the air at all hours, at all places, then we can get in on the information war that China's kicking our asses at.

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Guess all Florida Man jokes are not fair game now. Should I also get you a fainting couch? 

Those aren't FL Man jokes, they are sneers at kids trying to get somethin going for their futures, kids who didn't grow up in financially privileged families like you have proclaimed frequently you have, and thus can't afford to be jerkwaddies at this stage of their lives, as you generously haved boasted to us you have been. Capesh?

Johnson says he expects to take up Ukraine aid with Democratic votes
He added in the interview that splitting Ukraine and Israel aid into two separate bills is “under consideration.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/03/14/mike-johnson-israel-ukraine-aid-bill-00147108

Speaker Mike Johnson told POLITICO that he expects to pass a future Ukraine assistance bill with Democratic votes, an acknowledgment of the persistent resistance to any new aid within the GOP.

Johnson said in a Thursday interview at the House Republican retreat that aid to both Ukraine and Israel could come up as one or even two separate bills. He said he anticipates it would happen using the House’s suspension calendar, which he’s used often in recent days to overcome pushback from his own party.

“I think it is a stand-alone, and I suspect it will need to be on suspension,” Johnson said of foreign assistance.

The Louisiana Republican added in clear terms that he sees no path to attaching the foreign aid to a larger spending bill to keep the government open.

The suspension calendar requires a two-thirds majority to approve legislation on the House floor — meaning Johnson would need a substantial number of Democratic votes. He has taken that approach with many contentious measures so far in his speakership.

4 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I have never fainted at a Florida Man joke, but I’ve never laughed at one either. Cringed or rolled my eyes, yes. Laughed? No. 

4 hours ago, Jace, Extat said:

I'm in the now, and now calls for action to prevent this occurrence

now thats an american! damn you guys and gals are brave people of action! who cares about long term, it has worked so well for you, maybe not so well for us people outside of the usa, but who fucking cares! drone that bitch away i say! weare the kids skulls  as necklases and  use them as ashtrays, fucking savages deserve it.

Edited by Conflicting Thought

2 hours ago, mormont said:

I have never fainted at a Florida Man joke, but I’ve never laughed at one either. Cringed or rolled my eyes, yes. Laughed? No. 

Have you secretly been a Florida Man this whole time?

Admit it!

You’re wearing a tank top right now, aren’t you?!

Edited by A True Kaniggit