US Politics: Losing Appeals

18 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I also hope the Judicial conference cracks down on “Judge Shopping”.

Well the policy has already been adopted.  Now it's just a matter if implementing/enforcing it.

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

When I was on Twitter, I followed David Simon, he can cuss like no-one else!  Glad to see he hasn't lost his touch.  

There’s been a lot of conspiracy theories over whether this was a result of cyber attack or just another example of our competency crisis One thing is for sure, we’ve created a system which is reliant on a level of complexity that we can’t securely maintain

In more poll news. hearing things about Biden's position improving in the swing states, possibly coinciding with post SoTU and general better feeling about the state of the economy. Good news, he has plenty of time to keep gaining momentum. Not so good news, everything is on a knife edge so any downturn in the economy will kill his chances.

Early voting in NY has begin for the POTUS primary.

By the rules of the Dem party here once on the ballot, one is one the ballot, so those who aren't Biden are on it.  Nor can one write in anyone or anything, such as "Undecided."

I vote in everything but this one, I dunno about bothering about.  Especially as my polling place has been moved far away from where I live.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

‘The Wire’ Creator David Simon Rips Into Baltimore Bridge Conspiracists, Calls Marjorie Taylor Greene A “Complete Submoronic Pratfall Of A Human Being’

https://deadline.com/2024/03/david-simon-marjorie-taylor-greene-baltimore-bridge-1235868804/

Dude needs to calm down. 

7 hours ago, karaddin said:

From what I've been reading just now it's not even human error, a power failure causing loss of steering control at exactly the wrong time - 1min earlier or later and it would have been fine. Whether there was cut corners on maintenance leading to the power failure will take longer of course.

The only upside is the middle of the night leading to few people being on the bridge.

Sympathies to Baltimorians and Baltimore admirers.

Indeed, my first thought was not to terrorism, but more this is a tragic example of what is typical in the business and economic paradigm that has been current for generations. Profit maximisation means minimising costs, including on safety and maintenance. Just as national infrastructure is starting to creak under the weight of inadequate maintenance and replacement (whether or not that is part of the reason for the scale of the bridge collapse), so too are the private sector equivalents. It would not surprise if the cause and scale of this disaster comes down to systemic negligence in both the private and public sector.

Putting it down to "human error" would be attempting to non-specifically blame the crew on the vessel for the accident and deflect from the real root cause. Unless there was specific criminal intent by an individuals, or several individuals conspiring, industrial accidents pretty much always come down to some kind of systemic failing as the root cause. The question is whether the company and regulatory investigating agency put the effort in to getting to the heart of the problem.

28 minutes ago, DMC said:

The decision to hire her was mind bogglingly bad.  I question the judgment of all the NBC News leadership that thought this was a good idea.  If I was an employee there, I would have zero confidence in those morons.

Seems like most news network are trying to attract viewers away from Fox, which means hiring someone that identifiably fits within the current level of Fox crazy, since hiring people that left Fox because they lacked the requisite amount of crazy isn't working. It seems to be getting harder to find such people that aren't wholly unsuitable as credible political commentators.

6 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Seems like most news network are trying to attract viewers away from Fox, which means hiring someone that identifiably fits within the current level of Fox crazy, since hiring people that left Fox because they lacked the requisite amount of crazy isn't working. It seems to be getting harder to find such people that aren't wholly unsuitable as credible political commentators.

Problem is no one in the MAGA crowd is going to watch NBC. Like maybe some would if they hired Don Jr., but they'd lose more fans than they'd gain. Hiring McDaniel was stunningly dumb. It was funny to watch a ton of the hosts rip the decision. I expected her to not last past April.

16 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Seems like most news network are trying to attract viewers away from Fox

Not really, no.  In terms of appealing to the MAGA market, FNC is actually the "left-wing" or "reasonable" option as opposed to Newsmax and OANN.

From golden shoes to the God Bless USA Bible, Trump's efforts to drum up some cash are reaching absurd levels.   Liz Cheney trolls Trump in his latest endeavor to separate the rubes from their money.  

Former Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) took aim at former President Trump for launching an initiative to sell Bibles on Tuesday and encouraged him to read what the Bible says about adultery.

“Happy Holy Week, Donald. Instead of selling Bibles, you should probably buy one,” Cheney wrote in a post on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, in response to a screenshot of Trump’s Bible pitch on Truth Social.

“And read it, including Exodus 20:14,” Cheney added, referring to the verse that commands, “Thou shalt not commit adultery.”

In his latest effort to raise funds, Trump pitched his “God Bless USA” Bibles, which he is selling in partnership with country musician Lee Greenwood, ahead of Good Friday and Easter Sunday.

This quote from the article is priceless in my view:  “Religion and Christianity are the biggest things missing from this country. And I truly believe that we need to bring them back and have to bring them back fast,” Trump said. “I think it’s one of the biggest problems we have. That’s why our country is going haywire. We’ve lost religion in our country.”   

Oh really?  Seriously Donald, there is a church on every corner in this country, and most of them Christian of one flavor or another.   What a maroon!  (yes, I know the rubes will believe this since many of them do already.)

Cheney trolls Trump over Bible sale, suggests he read verse on adultery | The Hill

One can only assume people will find this trash in a few hundred years and think the added stuff is really part of it. 

3 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

What the USA needs to be saved from is godless Christians. The American right is full of them. Godly Christians are mostly very apolitical about their faith.

Ha! 

5 hours ago, DMC said:

I really don't understand the hate for Ronna that I've been seeing this week.

As a Romney, she's entirely been working for the big government side of things and only got ousted from the RNC because Trump wanted her out.  Considering how much she held him back, she ought to be a hero, worthy of an 8 figure media contract.  That's how the game is played when you do good service towards funding a deficit so vastly larger.  (For The Children, but really for the State.)

Looks to me the media people on the pro bigger and robust government side that are opposing her, instead of winking at her payout, are just too stupid to disbelieve the propaganda that themselves espouse.  

Hate from people that believe in limited government has been happening for years, for the rest of you, welcome to the party.  

1 minute ago, mcbigski said:

I really don't understand the hate for Ronna that I've been seeing this week.

As a Romney, she's entirely been working for the big government side of things and only got ousted from the RNC because Trump wanted her out.  Considering how much she held him back, she ought to be a hero, worthy of an 8 figure media contract.  That's how the game is played when you do good service towards funding a deficit so vastly larger.  (For The Children, but really for the State.)

Looks to me the media people on the pro bigger and robust government side that are opposing her, instead of winking at her payout, are just too stupid to disbelieve the propaganda that themselves espouse.  

Hate for her from people that believe in limited government has been happening for years, for the rest of you, welcome to the party.