US Politics: A democratic election Prospect Theory and practice

22 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I kinda enjoy it, when other people have DMC posting with his mullet-on-fire.

Reveal hidden contents

I hope I used that Floridian idiom correctly.

Your jokes are bad and you should feel bad.

This discussion about pot shops (we call them “dispensaries” here) made me look up the numbers in Toronto. There are 212, but it feels like there are shops on every block. There are at least five on the main road at the bottom of my block and another at the local mall. I guess I just live in the right neighborhood. There were recent stories in the local press (on-line blogs) about American tourists complimenting us on the prices and availability. Funnily enough, the police report there’s still a thriving underground market, that 80% of the pot sold in Canada is still the illegal stuff.

15 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Funnily enough, the police report there’s still a thriving underground market, that 80% of the pot sold in Canada is still the illegal stuff.

It’s been 20 years, but yes, without getting into specifics the profit margin of Toronto’s underground market is in all likelihood still incredibly lucrative for Americans.

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Were these people not losers without weed? 

In my experience  the average person who uses weed does it to wind down at the end of the day, not sit around all day all glakey. 

One was a carpenter who had a successful business before inexplicably selling out and moving to my state. Now he does day labor.

Another was a kind of 'go-to' guy in the oil patch with several specialty certificates before alcohol started a downward spiral. I managed to land him a job flagging race cars a few times a month - which is the closest he's had to an actual job in years.

Another works for a construction company. He gets stoned when not working. 

iirc, Canada had a pretty shitty legalization rollout. Fuzz had to shut down tons of illegal/unlicensed weed shops [some Provinces being marginally better than others]  

The ACA had a pretty shitty rollout too with the website.  Didn’t mean we shouldn’t stop striving for universal health care.

1 hour ago, JGP said:

iirc, Canada had a pretty shitty legalization rollout. Fuzz had to shut down tons of illegal/unlicensed weed shops [some Provinces being marginally better than others]  

Hah! It was more about people wanting to jump the gun and open up before legislation was passed. People opened up shops while it was still illegal, and then bitterly complained when they got charged and shut down.

eta: it was like the attitude was “it’s going to be legal in a few months, why are you bugging us?”

Edited by Fragile Bird

Michigan legalization appears to have been seamless. Or at least, I didnt notice too many hiccups. Note that it was a petition that got on the ballot because of enough signatures and passed pretty easily.

I'm not sure why that was the case, but my own town still doesnt have a dispensary because it is a bit old fashioned.

@IheartIheartTesla  Wasn't there something a few months back where one of the marijuana board regulators was charged with taking bribes in exchange for approving licensure?   I can't seem to find much about it now, except for in Crane's Business News.  LOL

On 4/10/2024 at 10:51 AM, Larry of the Lawn said:

You do realize that switching from gas to electric ranges is a health issue?  There's quite a bit of data on this.

I actually agree that the uber-focus by liberals on emissions has relegated discussion of other environmental pollutants and destructive behavior to the back burner, but I've yet to meet a conservative or maga type who gives a shit about the environment.  They might shed some crocodile tears over batteries and rare-earth mining, but they don't give a fuck about deforestation, anthropogenic extinctions, over-fishing, water pollution, changing out lead lines, or conservation unless it affects a trophy species.

How the hell is the left coming for your nutrition?  

As for the gas and electric ranges, I've seen conclusions from studies that purport to say that.  People have been living around well ventilated fires for a while, probably since before we were modern humans.  Frankly if asthma or similar are spiking now, I'd suggest looking more at injections affecting the immune system, since I'm pretty sure I have better ventilation and less smoke in my house than my great grandparents grew up with.  (Jakob was a fine man for the record.)

Maybe the chemistry they taught me back in the 80s isn't woke enough.  I don't see how powering an electric oven from a hydrocarbon plant because we can't ever have on demand wind or solar, is somehow more efficient than just burning the gas on site, especially when the actual desired output is heat.  But gas ovens have to go for some reason.  

As for nutrition, are you even serious?  There have been a few protests in a couple of food exporting countries about, effectively, cutting agricultural production down by about half.  Sri Lanka had a terrible experience following the left globalist ag policy as well, as you might have seen if you looked outside the echo chamber.

As far as the environment at large, as a "conservative or maga type", I'm all for more fission.  No carbon, plentiful energy.  Let the kids 10000 years from now figure out fusion.   I'm not sure where you fall on this one, but if you're anti fission, you're effectively either pro carbon or pro reducing the global population.

7 hours ago, mcbigski said:

As for the gas and electric ranges, I've seen conclusions from studies that purport to say that.  People have been living around well ventilated fires for a while, probably since before we were modern humans.  Frankly if asthma or similar are spiking now, I'd suggest looking more at injections affecting the immune system, since I'm pretty sure I have better ventilation and less smoke in my house than my great grandparents grew up with.  (Jakob was a fine man for the record.)

Maybe the chemistry they taught me back in the 80s isn't woke enough.  I don't see how powering an electric oven from a hydrocarbon plant because we can't ever have on demand wind or solar, is somehow more efficient than just burning the gas on site, especially when the actual desired output is heat.  But gas ovens have to go for some reason.  

As for nutrition, are you even serious?  There have been a few protests in a couple of food exporting countries about, effectively, cutting agricultural production down by about half.  Sri Lanka had a terrible experience following the left globalist ag policy as well, as you might have seen if you looked outside the echo chamber.

As far as the environment at large, as a "conservative or maga type", I'm all for more fission.  No carbon, plentiful energy.  Let the kids 10000 years from now figure out fusion.   I'm not sure where you fall on this one, but if you're anti fission, you're effectively either pro carbon or pro reducing the global population.

Gas stoves and ovens can also leak benzene, which can cause leukemia.  Houses today are not necessarily better ventilated than they were 25 or 40 years ago.  Often modern construction is so airtight due to spray in insulation that houses don't "breathe" at all.  A good portion of my job involves dealing with pressure issues in new construction homes.

Electricity is cleaner than burning gas on site.  Because it's not all generated from hydrocarbons.  There may be local exceptions if you live near a coal plant.  

There is plenty of food out there.  Some people think any regulation to keep poisons out of it or the water used to grow it are onerous.

Solar and wind need to be coupled with fission or fossil fuels to reduce emissions.  We should have dumped a ton of money into fission 50 years ago.  We should have done it yesterday.  But being pro-fission on its own doesn't mean that your some tree hugger.  Show me some conservative gneerated legislation to stop pollution or deforestation or stop the privatizing of publicly owned resources.

Show me any real legislation from the right to protect our natural resources.  The right has been gutting the EPA and complaining about business not being able to pollute since the EPA was created. 

The American right doesn't give a fuck about the environment.  Dems corporate donors aren't about to let them make major changes to help either, but at least they aren't marching gungho towards an apocalyptic wasteland where the only animals are in zoos and every river and lake is owned by some corporation, or where there is no guarantee your water isnt polluted with industrial waste.  

You talk about nutrition while the GOP creates school lunch debt and wants to keep food stamps from being used on fresh produce:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/07/31/politics/wic-benefits-cut-culture-war

Edited by Larry of the Lawn

BTW -- these two stories are printed side-by-side in the NYC section of the NY Times this AM.

The Battle Over Zaza Waza: A Lifelong Liberal Joins New York’s Weed War
When an illegal smoke shop opened across the street, Gale Brewer, a local councilwoman, vowed to close it. What happened next was “like a Fellini movie.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/12/nyregion/illegal-weed-gale-brewer.html

Sexism, Hate, Mental Illness: Why Are Men Randomly Punching Women?
Conversation about the attacks on the streets of New York have centered on mental illness, but the offenses seem to have their roots in hatred of women.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/12/nyregion/new-york-city-random-attacks-women.html

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How can anyone seriously support the Republican Party?  How?  

@mcbigski

The HOOHA Act is exactly what mcbigski is grousing over. For all the screeds of liberty and freedom, the right is excellent at absorbing new talking points and chirping along to the tune. The only way a person can care about this shit in this manner is because it's more important to align to their group"think" which dictates priorities and offers the flimsiest justification to feel superior to the 'libs'. It's based on nothing and entirely hypocritical -- which might be in the running for Republican slogans.

• Ran locked this topic