The Most Disturbing Movie You’ve Ever Seen

The two which spring to mind because I'm almost certain I'll never watch them again have already been mentioned (Requiem for a Dream and Jacob's Ladder).

I always find it sad when people say Watership Down - please try rewatching it as an adult. It took me 20+ years to try it again but I'm glad I did. The book is amazing obviously. 

2 hours ago, Isis said:

The two which spring to mind because I'm almost certain I'll never watch them again have already been mentioned (Requiem for a Dream and Jacob's Ladder).

I always find it sad when people say Watership Down - please try rewatching it as an adult. It took me 20+ years to try it again but I'm glad I did. The book is amazing obviously. 

I have, repeatedly, and I like it - but that doesn't change how disturbing it was when I was 6.

It's why I separated "most disturbing" from "disturbed me the most".

7 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

I have, repeatedly, and I like it - but that doesn't change how disturbing it was when I was 6.

It's why I separated "most disturbing" from "disturbed me the most".

It's amazing the difference a couple of years can make. I was 8 or 9 when I first saw this movie and it thrilled me rather than scared me. I was a kid that 4 or 5 years earlier got scared really bad by a scene in The Muppet Movie and the movie Airplane! freaked me out really bad when I saw it at 5 years old (I was convinced there were still passengers on that plane when it took off again at the end with sentient blow up doll Otto now in complete control, who was the embodiment of evil. No one could tell me otherwise).

But by the time I saw Watership Down it was a roller coaster thrill feeling it left me with rather than a terror you can't shake feeling. I've loved that movie since the first time I saw it.

For me, the most disturbing movie is 1983's Testament.

Theres been a handful that shook me, not necessarily in the "slasher" sense or horror, but usually because of just awful characters and evil behavior.

"Killers of the Flower Moon", "Spotlight", and the helicopter gunner in "Full Metal Jacket" all  had examples of people that disturbed me.

Slasher/horror examples would be mostly from childhood and include the wicked green witch in "Oz", the scary as fuck childnapper in "Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang' also the original "Excorcist" scared me to pieces for years.

Lots of disturbing films and scenes mentioned here but I don’t think I’ve ever found anything I’ve watched as an adult truly disturbing. Now, as a kid nothing could be more disturbing than the horrific stuff that came out of Disney Studios. Seriously, Dumbo and Bambi put me off animation for life, and now when people bring up The Lion King or Frozen or whatever, I have no idea what they’re talking about. Have not watched any since forever except South Park. 

Not sure if most disturbing or what but Dark Night of the Scarecrow scared the crap out of me as a kid. That and some movie where the trees came to life and killed people. 

9 minutes ago, Ran said:

That dreadful humming sound of the factory of death... ugh.

Everything...

Spoiler

Happens at the edge of the frame. Or in the background, Or as background noise. 

Even the household dynamic is less than idyllic, aside from the obvious stuff. Isn't it weird that Hedwig Höss' mother comes to visit and takes zero interest in the baby? 

On 3/31/2024 at 2:46 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

the scary as fuck childnapper in "Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang'

Lol my siblings and I used to tell our sister she looked like the Childcatcher and she would flip out every time. Also The Albino from The Princess Bride..

Fractured (2019) disturbed me. At least the ending did, when there was a shot of that patient the MC stole during the middle of surgery..just twitching in his back seat.

12 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:
Spoiler

Isn't it weird that Hedwig Höss' mother comes to visit and takes zero interest in the baby? 

Spoiler

Her arc is probably my favorite thing in the film. She arrives, admiring her daughter's "success" as "Queen of Auschwitz", and then slowly, slowly the poison of the place breaches her ability to not care about  what's going on -- to think, even, that it's good -- and she absconds in the night, knowing guilt at last.

6 hours ago, Ran said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Her arc is probably my favorite thing in the film. She arrives, admiring her daughter's "success" as "Queen of Auschwitz", and then slowly, slowly the poison of the place breaches her ability to not care about  what's going on -- to think, even, that it's good -- and she absconds in the night, knowing guilt at last.

The...

Spoiler

...baby and the dog haven't been indoctrinated. That's why the dog is constantly whining and the baby is screaming all the time. They know the world is wrong. It's also why they're constantly ignored. They aren't part of the machine.

Everyone else are cogs in a clockwork society and a clockwork household. They go through all the motions but there's no value there. The only ones who aren't are the servants who are obviously Jewish slave labor; clearly terrified and grieving. 

I still haven't figured out what's up with the apples. Nourishment for possible escapees? An expression of guilt? Escapism?

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

4 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The...

Hide contents

I still haven't figured out what's up with the apples. Nourishment for possible escapees? 

Spoiler

Via Wikipedia:

The young Polish girl in the film is inspired by Aleksandra Bystroń-Kołodziejczyk, whom Glazer met during his research. As a 12-year-old member of the Polish Home Army, she used to cycle to the camp to leave apples for the starving prisoners. As in the film, she discovered a piece of music written by a prisoner.

On 3/31/2024 at 8:46 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Slasher/horror examples would be mostly from childhood and include the wicked green witch in "Oz", the scary as fuck childnapper in "Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang' also the original "Excorcist" scared me to pieces for years.

The first time I watched The Exorcist I was in my late 20's and I found the film to be too slow and dull - so much so that I actually got bored and turned it off about 10 minutes from the end. I think I was expecting something completely different and at the time that I watched it I was just unable to appreciate it for what it was.