Football XXXII - Start as you mean to go on

Alex.

Norwich! They can be an easy touch sometimes but they also try to play attacking football. I hope they stay up.

Sunderland have to improve at some point, right? No-one can be that bad all season.

Everton finally remembered that they used to be dangerous on the counter-attack. Ominous development there. And West Ham show that Leicester are much tougher opponents than Arsenal.

Over in the Bundesliga, looks like Dortmund are back in shape. 3-0 at halftime against projected top 3 side Monchengladbach.

Look at that line-up. Hummels at centre back, Pisczek and Schmelzer as fullbacks. Then Kagawa, Gundugan, Reus, Mkhitarayan, Aubameyang. That really is a powerful team and you'd expect them to challenge Bayern this year. Or you'd hope so because I don't know who else might. Bayern looks better than last year with Douglas Costa and Vidal in for Schweini.

Solid win for Everton. They were already my sleeper team for this year and show it on day 2 already.
I see Spurs are Spurs again as well.

As for United, Isk already beat me to it, but these first two United games remind me of Chelsea more than anything else.

Looks like LvG wants the structure right above all else, and if that works, then he may be interested in beautiful football as well.

But late-career LvG is clearly not the same as early and mid-career LvG. He had the same approach with Holland at the world cup.

Bayern looks better than last year with Douglas Costa and Vidal in for Schweini.

Costa looked really good yesterday, although that was against Hamburg. And Werder just today once again proved that "better than Hamburg" is a pretty low bar to clear.*sigh*

Leicester outworked West Ham today, and deserved the win.

Reece Oxford looked like a child out there today, and Obiang coming on for him in the second half changed the game around. Unfortunately, Leicester were 11 behind the ball by then, and West Ham couldn't break through more than once. Some thoughts:

Both Leicester goals were scored by players who Oxford left unmarked. West Ham need to be careful with him because he's still very far from finished product. I really hope rumours of WH being in for Lucas Leiva are true. A midfield three of Lucas, Noble and Kouyate would be very solid, and would allow Payet to roam freely.

Angelo Ogbonna was outstanding again today. Strong, fast, smart and comfortable with the ball on either foot.

Carl Jenkinson in goal would have been more amusing if I wasn't so furious when it happened. It's really too bad that Adrian's boot didn't go right through and come out the other side of Vardy's torso.

Sunderland have to improve at some point, right? No-one can be that bad all season.

Sunderland are twice-holders of the worst-Prem-team-ever title. Derby would seem to have set the bar impossibly low for them to ever win it again but I can see them giving it a damn good go.

All I remember about Derby in the premiership was them signing Savage in January and the chairmen saying that Savage would help them stay up because that's the sort of mentality they needed. Definitely worked out for them. 

Sunderland are twice-holders of the worst-Prem-team-ever title. Derby would seem to have set the bar impossibly low for them to ever win it again but I can see them giving it a damn good go.

Another couple of months like this and Sunderland will be playing in an empty stadium.

Ian Wright on MotD. O.M.G.

Alex: still better dressed than Jovetic?

Didn't see it but I feel confident saying that yes he is better dressed than Steven Jovetic. That man was a kaleidoscope of shite menswear

I started a twitter account the other day (so on the ball!) and one of the few-people-so-far I followed was Alex and since then my feed has just been a flood of very badly dressed people apparently still better dressed than Jovetic. I did wonder why. :P

I was very confused by Jenas' shirt - what is that stripe? ( To be fair, I'm the last person who should be criticising someone else's fashion sense) 

Edit: Pardew is going to be so smug today. Sigh. 

Edit: Pardew is going to be so smug today. Sigh. 

Not after we smash his face in!

Think positive, the result last week was bad, but I'm not going to succumb to Arsenal doomsday vibes quite yet...

Not after we smash his face in!

Think positive, the result last week was bad, but I'm not going to succumb to Arsenal doomsday vibes quite yet...

I hate that our side today has zero pace in it. Just saw a stat that Chamberlain and Walcott have never played 90 minutes together in any competition.

In other news, really enjoying this Wolves v Hull match. Feels like it's being played a quicker pace than Arsenal play games.

I hate that our side today has zero pace in it. Just saw a stat that Chamberlain and Walcott have never played 90 minutes together in any competition.

I'm a bit more worried that, for the second week running, we're only able to put two attacking players on the bench. Weren't we supposed to be top-heavy with attacking talent?

Not looking forward to this at all.

Archived