HBO's Westworld VII: Abort?.Retry.Fail

Spring Bass

I doubt he's a host because it makes not much sense as a story and the MIB is already the most boring part of the show, but it's lazy on their part to have him all shot to shit but doesn't die if he's human.  Hopkins said that he too would degrade if in a host body...so thats a strike against MIB as a host, but then are we going to see him too degrade now that he's in Bernarnold

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

@HelenaExMachina Ford said the house was built in the park first, that Arnold built everything in the park first. So the other house we saw must have been outside the park in a city. 

The way that was said, I wonder what else Arnold built outside the park.

Ford looks demented, looks like he wants to wipe humans off the face of the earth.

Weren't they in the virtual world when he said that?  I took that to mean that they built everything virtually before trying to build it in the real world (park/wherever)

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

I doubt he's a host because it makes not much sense as a story and the MIB is already the most boring part of the show, but it's lazy on their part to have him all shot to shit but doesn't die if he's human.  Hopkins said that he too would degrade if in a host body...so thats a strike against MIB as a host, but then are we going to see him too degrade now that he's in Bernarnold

I think we have been seeing Bernard degrade in the current timeline. 

13 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

No, Hopkins.  Is he going to degrade and en up mad like James Delos if he stays in Bernard's host body.

We may be saying the same thing. We saw in this episode and have seen in prior episodes Bernard in current timeline degrading because it’s really Ford in there and we didn’t know it until this week. 

We don't know how much of Ford is in Bernard. Considering that Bernard is also in there, maybe a successfully copied part of Ford's brain is in there only. Ford said that the human mind was the last analog piece that still needed to be digitized. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

We don't know how much of Ford is in Bernard. Considering that Bernard is also in there, maybe a successfully copied part of Ford's brain is in there only. Ford said that the human mind was the last analog piece that still needed to be digitized. 

unless it's misdirection, all of him, because we saw the Delos tech say that the problem in the system vanished, and that was Ford's consciousness glitching things up and trolling....so, it seems very possible that Ford will begin to degrade now that his consciousness is in a host body....or not.  

Ford isn't in a body of his own though - he's not generally directly controlling the body, he's not feeling it's sensory input and thinking its his own body. I see hiding in the back of a host as different to being reborn in a host body.

6 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I would hate if he was a host. Feel like that would take away a lot from his character but yeah he should be dead from all those gunshots. 

She’s the worst. So fucking smug and every line is some edgy badass quip. I see people use that same complaint on Dolores but Hale is even worse for me :dunno: 

Hale is someone who almost lives in her own little "park".  Utterly amoral.  She views everything through the lens of corporate power politics and appeals to self interest.  Interesting but very hate-able.  I don't know what shocked her more, Ashley not taking her shit or Dolores nearly lighting her ass up.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Maybe...

Spoiler

the reason current timeline Bernard is acting so damn strange is because he's listening to "Ford" in his head telling him what to do.  "Ford" is in control.

Also, could it be possible that one of the reasons Delos is so keen to get the park data out is because James Delos in still in there?

Ed Harris needs to die already. He should have already been dead from the massacre in season 1, it's ridiculous if he also survives this one

6 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I would hate if he was a host. Feel like that would take away a lot from his character but yeah he should be dead from all those gunshots. 

She’s the worst. So fucking smug and every line is some edgy badass quip. I see people use that same complaint on Dolores but Hale is even worse for me :dunno: 

That's exactly what I would say about Maeve, which can be partially excused since much of her persona was written by a hack, but I don't care for Newton's acting at all, she over-eggs the pudding

5 hours ago, aceluby said:

Weren't they in the virtual world when he said that?  I took that to mean that they built everything virtually before trying to build it in the real world (park/wherever)

Yeah, they were in "The Cradle". Arnold designed his house (and dog?) in virtual reality before having it built in the real world. 

I liked the episode but as has been stated William should be dead and the seduction scene was ridiculous. He should have shot her in the back of the head right away. Then he gets close enough too her while she's still turned around for her to spin around and grab the barrel of his gun and it's even more ridiculous. But then they dial the ridiculousness up to 11 and have him try to fuck her. 

9 hours ago, karaddin said:

I didn't think seducing that guy was the original plan for destroying the cradle, I think Angela balked at actually dying - she looked scared when she turned around at first. She was having second thoughts, then his arrival burnt her bridges and she had to follow through.

Maybe, but if that was the case why did she take her body armor off? Why didn't she seem to have any explosives with her? I'm not saying the plan was specifically to seduce someone, just that the scene was really poorly written. 

William has actually displayed the most realistic reaction to his wounds in the series.

It's really fucking hard to kill a person. The only life threatening gunshot wound he took was the one to his abdomen, and if it missed the liver and kidney he'd be pretty much fine for the short term.

People don't die immediately from pretty much any wound unless you disable the brain or heart. Even the most gruesome injuries to an major artery will leave you living long enough to scream and cry for a few seconds.

10 hours ago, aceluby said:

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Yeah, they were in "The Cradle". Arnold designed his house (and dog?) in virtual reality before having it built in the real world. 

Wait. I don't think so. I disagree with your interpretation.

The Cradle is a massive bank of supercomputers where the entire history of the hosts is stored. When they bring a host in for repairs, they download the memories of the hosts to the Cradle. If the host dies every day, they get brought in and the memories of that day are archived and they start from a clean plate the next day. When they change a host's narrative, like Maeve's homesteader timeline, those memories go to the Cradle and their new storyline is downloaded. Before Abernathy was Dolores' father, he was actor/cannibal. He malfunctions because when he saw the picture of William's wife in Season 1 it somehow triggered access to some past memories, making him malfunction. Question - had they already downloaded some or all of the secret information to him? I assume so, because I don't think the time between Abernathy being put into storage and the rebellion was very long.

Ford's memories have been downloaded to a control unit, which Bernard took from that secret lab to the Cradle. Bernard's control unit was pulled out of his head and placed in the Cradle, which is how he then met Ford. How Ford joined his memories with Bernard's is a question I doubt we will get an answer to, other than the fact Ford knows how the system works.

Their visit to the house was a visit to the memory of the house stored in the Cradle, just like Bernard going to the saloon. It's not some kind of virtual reality where Arnold designed the house. There must have been a real house where Bernard and Dolores lived for years while Bernard was being fine-tuned, not a virtual house.

Lol, or at least that's my interpretation. There is a real house Arnold built in the park somewhere, and once he was happy with it he built another house outside the park for his family to live in.

Only Ford's memories exist, because Delos' secret project doesn't work, as he explained to Bernard. Somehow, at the point where he tells Bernard that Bernard will not survive, Ford manages to join his memories with Bernard. A damn good thing, because half an hour later Angela blows up the Cradle and Ford would have been truly dead. His transfer into Bernard's control unit is what unclogs the system, as both Elsie and the woman tech with the rescue force can see. Ford was running the system from inside the Cradle, and once he leaves with Bernard's control unit his control lifts.

I will watch that scene again, but right now I'm pretty happy with my interpretation. :) 

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

Holy shit!  That's where I know him from!   

I found several things about this episode annoying.  William / MiB not being dead is absurd.  And I don't think it's going to be that he's a host (which i doubt I would like) so it's just more absurd unless there's some really good explanation.*

Even if they set that one soldier up to be a douche and even if Angela is quite fit that seduction scene was still just utterly unbelievable to the point of stupidity.

i also thought that the way that Hale was acting once Dolores showed up was unbelievable until she was about to get cut and then it made sense.

*There's something that's been eating at me more and more which is how much the Jimmy Simpson / Ed Harris combo works which is for me really not at all.  Harris is just so Ed Harris with his voice and his delivery and mannerisms that I just never see him as the much older version Simpson, and it actually feels a bit disruptively so when watching the Harris scenes this year.  Maybe in S1 it worked since many viewers didn't know MiB = William until near the end.  

I'm starting to think they are going to say William has used some other biotech to keep him regenerated maybe? As you say it's really stupid he hasn't at the least bled to death by now. He appeared to have his arm also blown off at the end of last season and he's taken several other shots. So I'm thinking he maybe has some odd nano-printers or some bullshit like that. I toyed with the idea that, as the major shareholder, he has some extra level "hosts can't kill him" going on but that doesn't explain the fact we're seeing him take bullets (they actually pass through him so it's not even that the bullets are being slowed or something).

I also agree that the scene with angela and that soldier was really stupid. In a different contect it would work but not when he's just seen her kill most of his workmates.

38 minutes ago, red snow said:

I'm starting to think they are going to say William has used some other biotech to keep him regenerated maybe? As you say it's really stupid he hasn't at the least bled to death by now.

I doubt they'll go with biotech. He did have to use that first aid kit in the first episode. I don't think that would've been necessary if he had nanobots or the like fixing him. They'll probably just have him laying around hurt for a little bit until his daughter catches up to put some bandaids on him. 

Or maybe the rest of Maeve's group. I'm assuming they'll be trying to get her back. 

Archived