Watch, Watched, Watching: Endgame

Ramsay B.

I finally (four years late) got around to seeing The Revenant last weekend and thought it was brilliant. God damn Leo and Tom Hardy were great. Such a fantastic picture. And damn, that bear scene...  Lived up to the hype for me.

Just watched Triple Frontier (Netflix film). Has a nice cast with Oscar Isaac, Charlie Hunham and Ben Affleck. A nice action movie that's easy to watch. Well worth a free two hours.

As for Gervais, I can only comment on Extras which I enjoyed. Has some Curb elements to it which are funny.

1 hour ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

I finally (four years late) got around to seeing The Revenant last weekend and thought it was brilliant. God damn Leo and Tom Hardy were great. Such a fantastic picture. And damn, that bear scene...  Lived up to the hype for me.

As for Gervais, I can only comment on Extras which I enjoyed. Has some Curb elements to it which are funny.

I loved The Revenant. Easily one of the most gorgeous movies I’ve ever seen. I’m a huge Roger Deakins fan (who was up for Sicario), but I thought Emmanuel Lubezki totally deserved his Oscar. It’s crazy they shot The Revenant completely out in the elements with only natural light. 

Speaking of Gervais and Curb, I love his Mr. Simmington episode. :lol:

I tried to watch... goodness, I can’t even remember the title. Bodyguard! I tried to watch Bodyguard but it was so excruciatingly boring and flat, I could barely pay attention to anything that was happening and almost fell asleep over the ironing board. It was often predictable and I thought the acting was overrated. 

Watched bumblebee and genuinely enjoyed it. I think they were very wise to double down on the nostalgia by setting it in the 80s and having a great soundtrack to go with. The main thing was i genuinely bought the connection between the girl and the transformer which is probably the first time in any transformers film/or show where the human hasn't been an uneccessary addition. Plus this one was genuinely funny rather than pointedly unfunny.

I guess the gen1 Cybertron tease would have been frustrating if i hadn't already surmised that the clips in the trailer would be the entirety of the Cybertron footage.

A big plus is you don't need to have seen any of the bay films which i suspect is the thing that held this film back - people have been burned too many times by transformers films

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I forgot how shit it is when TV shows are released 1 episode a week, its so long since i watched anything like this.  Fleabag is excellent but i wish i had waited and binged. 

Terrifying that there was a time when this was the only option. 

13 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I loved The Revenant. Easily one of the most gorgeous movies I’ve ever seen. I’m a huge Roger Deakins fan (who was up for Sicario), but I thought Emmanuel Lubezki totally deserved his Oscar. It’s crazy they shot The Revenant completely out in the elements with only natural light. 

Speaking of Gervais and Curb, I love his Mr. Simmington episode. :lol:

I also heard that Leo ate raw meat? The horse?? He really went all out for the Oscar lol. Well deserved. This is right up there for favorite Leo movie for me. I'm torn between The Revenant and The Departed. Leaning towards Revenant as his performance stole the movie where he's one of a handful of good performances in The Departed.

LD just beating that ass with the stale bread!! Also I love the line about elevating small talk to medium talk. Classic.

1 hour ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

I also heard that Leo ate raw meat? The horse?? He really went all out for the Oscar lol. Well deserved. This is right up there for favorite Leo movie for me. I'm torn between The Revenant and The Departed. Leaning towards Revenant as his performance stole the movie where he's one of a handful of good performances in The Departed.

LD just beating that ass with the stale bread!! Also I love the line about elevating small talk to medium talk. Classic.

It's rare DiCaprio isn't good in something these days and he was overdue. I'm not convinced revenant was his best work but that's more because he's had some outstanding roles recently. 

That said I'm sure part if the reason the bear scene is so memorable is because of how DiCaprio reacts to it.

Leo's best work is arguably The Wolf of Wall Street. He should have won the Oscar for that. He was great in The Departed as well, but I feel like that was too much of an ensemble for anyone to get a leading role nod.  

Leo was also underrated in the 90's, Titanic withstanding. I watched his version of Romeo and Juliet and The Beach not all that long ago and both held up.

Pivoting here, I finally saw Green Book. It was, for a lack of a better word, trash. I can see why it offended a lot of people. The scenes where Ali is playing the piano are excellent, and I see how he won the award, but there is no universe in which that movie deserved Best Picture. I've seen five of the eight nominees so far and it was easily the worst of them (I'm looking forward to Vice and The Favorite. I'll probably never watch Roma).

Funny, the line being used often these days is "History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes." 30 Years ago Spike Lee made an excellent, gritty film about race, but it lost Best Picture* to a very bland movie about race. It happened to him again this year. Change is slow, even in liberal Hollyweird.

*Yes I know it wasn't nominated, but Do The Right Thing was the best picture made that year. 

9 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I tried to watch... goodness, I can’t even remember the title. Bodyguard! I tried to watch Bodyguard but it was so excruciatingly boring and flat, I could barely pay attention to anything that was happening and almost fell asleep over the ironing board. It was often predictable and I thought the acting was overrated. 

The bodyguard with Richard Madden? I mean to each their own but the first 17 minutes were a masterclass in building and holding tension

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The bodyguard with Richard Madden? I mean to each their own but the first 17 minutes were a masterclass in building and holding tension

Yeah that first scene hooked me in.  

I mean, the show isn't even remotely realistic but I thought it was a ton of fun.  It was like a British 24.

52 minutes ago, Triskele said:

"In my opinion every Leo DiCaprio movie would be better as a Matt Damon movie."  - Paraphrasing Bill Simmons uttering some utter garbage.  

And that's not even cause I hate Damon or anything.  It's just laughable on its face.  Django with Damon?  Wolf of Wall Street with Damon?  Please.  

Yeah, Damon's pretty great but there's a reason Bill Simmons is synonymous with 'Masshole'.

I categorically reject the Leo disrespect.

11 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Watched a couple of the newest episodes of Arrested Development, don’t think I’ve laughed once. Not sure if I’ll finish it. 

Didn't know they were out.  Great promotion, Netflix.

Re-watching The Shield, I noticed that I sporadically got through the first three seasons.  Not that they're bad, really, but I was watching other shows while I was watching them.  About midway through season four, everything just clicks and it's the only damn show I want to watch.  I'm nearing the end now, but man this show starts moving like a freight train once Antwon Mitchell kills a certain character.

Also, Forest Whitaker's performance on this show is GOAT.

Also watched The Dirt, with a few of my 80's best friends since we were all Crue fans. Some of it was funny, some not. I thought it was poorly acted, really poorly. Also I thought they should have cast Ramsey Bolton as OZZY instead of Mick Mars. I mean he does have the accent and can clearly play a creepy demented guy! Missed opportunity there.

I plan to see US this week so I am glad to see a few decent reviews on it here. I am not a horror guy but this one appeals to me for some reason.

Both Tin Star S2 and Secret City S2 exceeded expectation.... neither will make my top 10, but we enjoyed them both.... Hanna (starting Fri) is at the head of the que... we'll eventually get around to the OA, since most of the people in that thread thought S2 was good.... I trust this board...

...Threw The Act (Hulu) into the weekly rotation... It's really, really uncomfortable to watch....  Patricia Arquette is being typecast as "the pathologically lying trainwreck".... she's basically the same character as she was in Escape from Dannemora.... which is to say "So painfully awful she's impossible to look away from"... Joey King is an amazing young actor... 

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I would absolutely agree if it wasn’t blatantly obvious that Richard Madden was not going to explode in the first 15 minutes of the series. For me that sort of took the edge off.

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Agree I really was hooked by that first portion. 

That the rest of the show was a steady decline and the last episode being a major disappointment is another matter.

Archived