Watch, Watched, Watching: What Old Is New When There Is No New

Zorral

Theatres finally reopened so I went out to see Bloodshot yesterday. Let me tell you all this, Vin Diesel really is the hero we deserve, unfortunately not the one we need. It's a terrible movie (the highlight, quality wise, was the Top Gun 2 trailer which preceded it) and yet I did enjoy myself tremendously XD

As I said to the buddy who accompanied me, we have finally cracked the recipe to turn even a bad film into an enjoyable experience. Just three months of quarantine and you love just about everything :D 

This film though. Cliche heaped upon cliche, effects out of an early 2000s videogame and Vin Diesel is just so laughingly awful. The growling was so dramatic XD

4 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Theatres finally reopened so I went out to see Bloodshot yesterday. Let me tell you all this, Vin Diesel really is the hero we deserve, unfortunately not the one we need. It's a terrible movie (the highlight, quality wise, was the Top Gun 2 trailer which preceded it) and yet I did enjoy myself tremendously XD

As I said to the buddy who accompanied me, we have finally cracked the recipe to turn even a bad film into an enjoyable experience. Just three months of quarantine and you love just about everything :D 

This film though. Cliche heaped upon cliche, effects out of an early 2000s videogame and Vin Diesel is just so laughingly awful. The growling was so dramatic XD

Yeah I saw this before lock down and had same thoughts. Total popcorn flick. Theaters near me are still closed and the state seems to be going backwards on locking it down tighter so I have no hopes of seeing a movie soon. There is a drive in not too far away but no new releases are being shown yet.

51 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Yeah I saw this before lock down and had same thoughts. Total popcorn flick. Theaters near me are still closed and the state seems to be going backwards on locking it down tighter so I have no hopes of seeing a movie soon. There is a drive in not too far away but no new releases are being shown yet.

Yeah, they are putting a lot of old stuff back in rotation, but they really go for the schlock where I live. Instead of bona fide classics they bring shit like a Harry Potter marathon in 4DX (for those of you who don't know 4DX, it is the single worst invention in cinematic history and consists among other things of you getting practically butt raped every time the protagonist gets a kick in the back). Fine if you are a CIA agent wishing to torture some hapless goat herder in a black ops facility (There is definitely a subsection of hell where they play Chamber of Secrets in 4DX on repeat), but not for civilized audiences.

So Bloodshot was the best "new" release in theatres here and it did open some very interesting questions like who was stupid enough to greenlit this, who thought that this would be successful enough for a sequel and most of all Why does Vin Diesel even have a career? I love the guy (Chronicles of Riddick!), but he's just so hilariously awful all the time :o 

8 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Yeah, they are putting a lot of old stuff back in rotation, but they really go for the schlock where I live. Instead of bona fide classics they bring shit like a Harry Potter marathon in 4DX (for those of you who don't know 4DX, it is the single worst invention in cinematic history and consists among other things of you getting practically butt raped every time the protagonist gets a kick in the back). Fine if you are a CIA agent wishing to torture some hapless goat herder in a black ops facility (There is definitely a subsection of hell where they play Chamber of Secrets in 4DX on repeat), but not for civilized audiences.

So Bloodshot was the best "new" release in theatres here and it did open some very interesting questions like who was stupid enough to greenlit this, who thought that this would be successful enough for a sequel and most of all Why does Vin Diesel even have a career? I love the guy (Chronicles of Riddick!), but he's just so hilariously awful all the time :o 

You are taking these risks of c-19 infection to -- watch this?  Which you even say wasn't good? Color me authentically baffled.

I’m a few episodes into the new Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix. I remember watching the original all the time when I was younger. So far the first and third cases have been the most interesting. 

the one with the guy that jumped/was thrown from the building in Baltimore is really weird. Not only the physics of where the hole was, but also that crazy letter found by his wife. Very strange stuff.

55 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Caught Killing Them Softly on Netflix.  A very strange little Brad Pitt mob movie.  Liotta, Gandalfini, and Mendehlson (sp).  Not great.

I remember being kind of underwhelmed with it considering how good the cast was. It’s by the same director (Andrew Dominik) that did Assassination of Jesse James, and Chopper, both of which are really good. Although, admittedly the former took me a second viewing to really appreciate. I’ve been meaning to give Killing Them Softly another try for a long time. 

Speaking of Dominik, I’m really looking forward to his Marilyn Monroe movie with Ana de Armas :wub:. Might be my second most anticipated movie right now after Dune. 

A recording of Hamilton is on disney plus, that is sunday night sorted. I dont mind watching musicals on tv, and I'm not going to an actual show for at least a year I'd imagine. 

Absolutely flying through what we do in the shadows, funniest thing I've seen this year by a mile. 

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I remember being kind of underwhelmed with it considering how good the cast was. It’s by the same director (Andrew Dominik) that did Assassination of Jesse James, and Chopper, both of which are really good. Although, admittedly the former took me a second viewing to really appreciate. I’ve been meaning to give Killing Them Softly another try for a long time. 

Speaking of Dominik, I’m really looking forward to his Marilyn Monroe movie with Ana de Armas :wub:. Might be my second most anticipated movie right now after Dune. 

I remember being deeply disappointed in Killing them softly. Jesse James is one of my top 5 movies and couldn’t wait to see what he followed up with. It was deeply ‘meh’, and didn’t really seem to have much of a point. Jesse James is such a beautifully crafted movie I wanted more of that but it wasn’t really there.

On the plus side it was one of the first roles I’d seen Ben Mehndelson and Skoot McNairy in, both guys I will now watch in anything.

16 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

A recording of Hamilton is on disney plus, that is sunday night sorted. I dont mind watching musicals on tv, and I'm not going to an actual show for at least a year I'd imagine. 

Absolutely flying through what we do in the shadows, funniest thing I've seen this year by a mile. 

Hamilton was incredible on the TV. We watched it last night. We had seen the show twice, including the original cast (minus Lin and Leslie Odom as it was a Sunday matinee) and even despite that, we still felt all the feels we did the times we saw it live. In some ways, with the added close ups, it enhanced the performance.

10 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I decided to give Warrior Nun a try, 2 episodes in so far.  It's a lot better than I expected it to be.

We finished the first season. Not great but entertaining enough for me to blast through it. These kinds of show are right up my alley. They don't have to be really good, just have to be not terrible and I will enjoy myself.

4 hours ago, Triskele said:

Oh yeah, him too.  Couldn't place his name.  He and BN do make a kind of hilarious team, but the film over all has a real what's the point feel to it.  

The dad from Six Feet Under i in there too...

@Ramsay B. - The more I think about Drive the more of a little gem of a film I think it was.  Really stuck with me for reason that are hard to explain.  

It really is an excellent film. Looks great, sounds great, acting/cast is amazing and there are a lot of tense scenes throughout. Refn nailed it.

I’ve said this many times before here, but peak Mendelsohn is his role in Animal Kingdom. He’s so good as creepy Pope.

Had my parents over for the Fourth for Korean bulgogi, Stella Artois, and Hamilton on my big screen through Disney+. An odd holiday.

The show looks absolutely fantastic with all the great camera angles. I am not keen on musicals but I enjoy them here and there. Mom was absolutely delighted and clapping along with glee. Dad has had a bizarre lifelong hatred of rap music - the man taught art for 40 years, our house is covered in African art and he bloody lived in Congo in the 60s, but since his oldest boy brought home that Snoop Dogg CD, oh jeez. So he bitched the whole time that he could only understand "the Broadway parts". 

I did have trouble hearing a lot of the songs, especially some of the faster verses sung with the ensemble joining in. But, heck, I can't hear song lyrics on a daily basis so I didn't mind. Its a thrilling performance. I never saw it live, though I served hundreds of Manhattan tourists and locals who raved that it's one of the all time greats. Even in the living room 2 outta 3 of us loved it.

Hamilton was great on screen.  The camera work added something that offset not being there live.  And I enjoyed seeing the full NYC cast because we saw the live stage show in Chicago with a different cast (although no noticeable gap in quality).  We watched the first ~45 minutes on Friday but our weekend guests arrived and we cut it short.  So we rewatched from the start today when everyone was tired.

I much prefer this capture of the live stage version than the movie productions a few years ago of Les Miserable and Phantom.  It’s just a waste to use famous actors who don’t really have the voice a ability for the role.

I don’t know when Broadway will feel safe again, but since our move we had been looking forward to taking advantage of the larger choice than Chicago.  My wife loves musicals.  We went to see Phantom in February, despite it being a rewatch for both us.  

Archived