Watch, Watched, Watching: We Need This!

Ramsay B.

I watched The Raid 2. I was heavily distracted throughout the movie and could barely follow along to all of the characters and their motives. The movie (outside of a prison riot) appeared to me to be quite inferior to the first movie. It had far more acting and dialogue scenes vs the amount of fighting in the first movie... and the non-stop fighting was the entire appeal of the first movie from my perspective. I was openly asking my friend about why they decided to "switch" directions toward a movie more about plot and acting.

28 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

Haven't seen either 'Interstellar' or 'Sunshine' yet - which one would folks recommend? Leaning 'Sunshine' because Garland > Nolans for scripts (and maybe tied for directing though this is a Boyle film).

I would say Sunshine. The first 3/4 or so were great although I found the last section a bit disappointing. Interstellar does have some really good scenes in it but it's also a bit dull at other times and the ending got a bit silly.

Has anyone else tried watching the Walking dead: World beyond yet?... are we being punked?... is this meant to be a parody, or did Robert Kirkman's nephew need a job after getting his GED at 35? No one on this show can act, although with this spectacularly bad dialogue who would know? The teens --the main characters on the show-- are to a person, cringe-worthy abysmal... and what's with the f***ing corduroy suit? 

The guy I feel bad for is Chris Hardwick, who has to look into the camera and pretend that this steamy pile of donkey crap is worthy of conducting an interview with a straight face.... 

55 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Has anyone else tried watching the Walking dead: World beyond yet?... are we being punked?... is this meant to be a parody, or did Robert Kirkman's nephew need a job after getting his GED at 35? No one on this show can act, although with this spectacularly bad dialogue who would know? The teens --the main characters on the show-- are to a person, cringe-worthy abysmal... and what's with the f***ing corduroy suit? 

The guy I feel bad for is Chris Hardwick, who has to look into the camera and pretend that this steamy pile of donkey crap is worthy of conducting an interview with a straight face.... 

I taped the first one and was hesitant to watch it. I think I need to come to terms that I've seen the best of that universe and it was about 7-8 years ago. 

Blowing through Succession. I love this show so much. Interesting story, the characters are all wonderfully despicable in their own ways, and so damn funny. 

The Haunting of Bly Manor is meh. The story hasn't grabbed me yet about 6 eps in. The first season did a better job there. I do enjoy Victoria Pedretti, but her find her character annoying this season; though the episode that touched on her past was pretty good. 

A bit more about the series Enslaved that I mentioned watching. It has been purchased by 130 countries, so it’s likely coming to a network near you. It was filmed over a 3 year period, in 12 different countries on four different continents, and they uncover the wrecks of 6 different slave ships (there are 6 episodes so I assume a new ship is found each episode). Diving With a Purpose is mainly made up of black elite divers.

I did not realize that of the approximately 12 M people shipped from Africa as slaves, only 4% went to the US. I knew more slaves went to Brazil, but I didn’t know the percentage going to the US was that low.

And the DWP group was in the news today. Apparently there’s a slave ship wreck in the English Channel that is just being destroyed by the nets of fishing trawlers, and the group has spoken up in an attempt to get fishing near the wreck halted.

12 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

For anyone who like a gothic infused romance, Netflix Rebecca drops Oct. 21, which I will watch even though it seems doubtful it could ever live up to to the Hitchcock version.

Have been waiting for this so long*. I'm actually planning to go to the cinema for the first time post-lockdown to see it. ALSO: Clint Mansell score!

*since I read the book in July.

12 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Haven't seen either 'Interstellar' or 'Sunshine' yet - which one would folks recommend? Leaning 'Sunshine' because Garland > Nolans for scripts (and maybe tied for directing though this is a Boyle film).

Looking forward to rewatching both on my new 43inch ultra HD TV. Sunshine shpuld be particulary impressive

Saw the latest episode of Spitting Image. It's not as cutting as it used to be I assume, but there are still a lot of moments that make me giggle. Although I really missed Lewis Hamilton in this episode!

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

A big more about the series Enslaved that I mentioned watching. It has been purchased by 130 countries, so it’s likely coming to a network near you. It was filmed over a 3 year period, in 12 different countries on four different continents, and they uncover the wrecks of 6 different slave ships (there are 6 episodes so I assume a new ship is found each episode). Diving With a Purpose is mainly made up of black elite divers.

I did not realize that of the approximately 12 M people shipped from Africa as slaves, only 4% went to the US. I knew more slaves went to Brazil, but I didn’t know the percentage going to the US was that low.

And the DWP group was in the news today. Apparently there’s a slave ship wreck in the English Channel that is just being destroyed by the nets of fishing trawlers, and the group has spoken up in an attempt to get fishing near the wreck halted.

I have taped the episodes from BBC 2. It looks superbly interesting!

10 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Has anyone else tried watching the Walking dead: World beyond yet?... are we being punked

Why are you still watching this XD Like, I bailed after season 4 of the original series and I already felt that I saw 3 seasons too many. Cut your losses and liberate yourself!

15 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

I taped the first one and was hesitant to watch it. I think I need to come to terms that I've seen the best of that universe and it was about 7-8 years ago. 

Blowing through Succession. I love this show so much. Interesting story, the characters are all wonderfully despicable in their own ways, and so damn funny. 

The Haunting of Bly Manor is meh. The story hasn't grabbed me yet about 6 eps in. The first season did a better job there. I do enjoy Victoria Pedretti, but her find her character annoying this season; though the episode that touched on her past was pretty good. 

I've started watching Succession and, after 2 episodes, I can say it's a fun show that's well written and acted. But I don't really get why it's getting all these accolades as the BEST show on TV, Emmys as the Best Drama etc. It's not anything super new, and I guess my issue is, do I really care about the lives of a bunch of unlikable rich a-holes? No, I don't. It's just a nice way to pass the time. But why would that be the best show out there?

BTW, speaking of Best Drama Emmys, I've been watching Orange is the New Black (no, not on Netflix - it's on a local TV channel, 5 episodes a week), and apparently that show was classified as a "comedy" at Emmys, which is really weird - yes, it does have a comedic element, but it gets pretty dark. I guess they didn't know how dark it gets (especially in season 4, which I'm about to finish) when they slapped that label on it. Still, even looking at season 1, what is it that made OITNB more comedic than Succession in the eyes of the people who classify shows for Emmys?

9 hours ago, Isis said:

Have been waiting for this so long*. I'm actually planning to go to the cinema for the first time post-lockdown to see it. ALSO: Clint Mansell score!

*since I read the book in July.

"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again."

I'll be watching tomorrow, but I don't have very high hopes for this one, other than KST as Mrs. Danvers.  The two leads seem kind of miscast to me, he's too young and boyish and she's too pretty, but perhaps I'll be surprised.  Nothing will ever touch the 40s version for me.  

22 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I watched The Raid 2. I was heavily distracted throughout the movie and could barely follow along to all of the characters and their motives. The movie (outside of a prison riot) appeared to me to be quite inferior to the first movie. It had far more acting and dialogue scenes vs the amount of fighting in the first movie... and the non-stop fighting was the entire appeal of the first movie from my perspective. I was openly asking my friend about why they decided to "switch" directions toward a movie more about plot and acting.

They expanded as sequels tend to do and it got way too complicated. The first is much better. The fight at the end of Raid 2 in the kitchen though is one of the best fights I've ever seen put in a movie.

4 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I've started watching Succession and, after 2 episodes, I can say it's a fun show that's well written and acted. But I don't really get why it's getting all these accolades as the BEST show on TV, Emmys as the Best Drama etc. It's not anything super new, and I guess my issue is, do I really care about the lives of a bunch of unlikable rich a-holes? No, I don't. It's just a nice way to pass the time. But why would that be the best show out there?

Watch more. Takes a few episodes to find it's way but it gets very very good and the unlikable assholes become more than they are early on.

10 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

BTW, speaking of Best Drama Emmys, I've been watching Orange is the New Black (no, not on Netflix - it's on a local TV channel, 5 episodes a week), and apparently that show was classified as a "comedy" at Emmys, which is really weird - yes, it does have a comedic element, but it gets pretty dark. I guess they didn't know how dark it gets (especially in season 4, which I'm about to finish) when they slapped that label on it. Still, even looking at season 1, what is it that made OITNB more comedic than Succession in the eyes of the people who classify shows for Emmys?

The people that gave it all the accolades probably watched more than two episodes. :dunno:

Have some free time that is limited in scope this week so I am catching up on shows and watching some movies.

Terminator Dark Fate, yeah... pretty much what you'd expect. Don't watch unless you have captive free time!

Watched Bad day for the cut. Irish movie I had never heard of, crime/murder movie. Not bad, nothing in particular stood out to me but I wasn't bored either.

Older movie, 1998 0r 99?, When the trumpets fade, WW2 movie. TBH this felt like a college made movie. Seemed cheaply made, had a few actors you would recognize now. The lead was bad, no emotion, seemed dead flat delivering lines. I'd still rather watch this a second time than the Terminator rehash crap.

9 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

The people that gave it all the accolades probably watched more than two episodes. 

People who vote on Emmys? Not so sure about that...

I still need to know how they decided OITNB was a comedy, and I've seen 4 seasons of it so far.

Archived