US Politics- Mute-iny on the bounty

Fury Resurrected

I don't know, I must've watched a different debate because Trump seemed, to a large degree, much more insane than in the last one.

Maybe don't celebrate quite yet, but this shit is over, folks. 

6 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

He wasn't as unhinged as usual, so of course he was "presidential", with "a different tone".

Trump will benefit from the low bar set for him, but he pushed the bar so low by losing 3 points nationally at the first debate.  Trump was better, but only by contrast. 

This was the last set piece of the race and Trump failed to land any big punches.  Nobody will be talking about this debate in 24 hours.

11 minutes ago, teej6 said:

Yeah that’s what I’m worried about. The bar was so low for Trump. The crazy republicans are already spinning this as a triumph just because their dear leader sounded somewhat normal. They were holding their breaths, they didn’t know if Jekyll or Hide would show up.

Which can give some “tittering” right leaning independents and maybe some republicans the excuse they’d been hoping for to vote for him.

1 minute ago, JEORDHl said:

I don't know, I must've watched a different debate because Trump seemed, to a large degree, much more insane than in the last one.

It’s over when it’s over and no one should think otherwise until the final results are in.

2 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

He just repeated the same handful of attacks, often out of context. That's why they seemed so off at times. 

You're the puppet. 

I guess some people thought muting mics would be doing Biden a favour so he could get a word in from time to time. But really mic muting is to Donald's benefit, probably why his team convinced him to accept it.

4 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Which can give some “tittering” right leaning independents and maybe some republicans the excuse they’d been hoping for to vote for him.

It’s over when it’s over and no one should think otherwise until the final results are in.

As David Axelrod just said, “This cake is baked”.

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I guess some people thought muting mics would be doing Biden a favour so he could get a word in from time to time. But really mic muting is to Donald's benefit, probably why his team convinced him to accept it.

It did ultimately help him from going overboard.

The man-baby literally finds it stifling to keep quiet for five seconds 

3 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think he mostly benefitted from debate prepping, which I'm sure he did, even before the town hall "debate", and more so for this one. Goal: Appear semi-normal!

It's over, I think, in the sense that there's really nothing that looks to be coming to public attention that will change people's voting intentions. I'm not really confident in how those voting intentions are going to play out in the EC tally.

7 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It's over, I think, in the sense that there's really nothing that looks to be coming to public attention that will change people's voting intentions. I'm not really confident in how those voting intentions are going to play out in the EC tally.

True. Trump still has a strong chance at winning the election.

Whatever happens I think it will be a lot closer than what what either side finds ideal, and show there’s no strong majority in support of Trump or Biden’s vision.

Think this will really break down to Trump's insisting that Covid is about to go away being overridden by local newscasts and papers being all about Covid blowing up filling with hospital horror stories. It'll get increasingly worse as we get closer to election day and more so in a number of the battlegrounds.

Also, agree with those who said Trump was even more insane tonight. He was more level mood-wise, but pro-Biden groups got a lot of ad material tonight that needs to be put out there because he said some batshit, cruel stuff that was lost under his motor-mouth babbling and because folks were so relieved he wasn't yelling as much.

22 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It did ultimately help him from going overboard.

The man-baby literally finds it stifling to keep quiet for five seconds 

I can't help noticing that when trying to sound normal you can see him really suffering at trying to stick with sentences longer than Lock Him Up and that convey some rational ideas or information not just a message.    

I've seen three polls so far of debate watchers, they all almost exactly mirror the current national polls. Biden won: 53-39, 52-39, and 52-41.

Seems safe to say it didn't change anything. 

I didn't watch a minute of it; I was playing D&D over Skype with friends. Much better use of time.

1 minute ago, Castellan said:

I can't help noticing that when trying to sound normal you can see him really suffering at trying to stick with sentences longer than Lock Him Up and that convey some rational ideas or information not just a message.    

Honestly, after bartending most of my life, he sounds like a career drunk trying carefully to craft full sentences without collapsing into rambling disconnected phrases. Nah, Donnie, you paid your tab an hour ago. You can't have another manhattan. Go home already. No, I'm not mad at you. See you tomorrow, Donnie. Yes, I called a cab, he's right outside.

10 minutes ago, Fez said:

I've seen three polls so far of debate watchers, they all almost exactly mirror the current national polls. Biden won: 53-39, 52-39, and 52-41.

Seems safe to say it didn't change anything. 

I didn't watch a minute of it; I was playing D&D over Skype with friends. Much better use of time.

Clearly you've never watched Stranger Things.

Gotta say after five cycles now being intensely invested in this stuff, it is the height of amusement when people say there was no "knock out blow."  Like that's wisdom or something.  I mean, obviously that's true, but every damn debate the TV and internets tell me at least one of the two candidates has to deliver an Ali punch - and shocker - it never happens. 

Like, when has there ever been a knockout blow?  I've prepped lectures on the history of (televised) presidential debates and I can't name one.  I point out examples, sure.  But Bentsen didn't get Dukakis any votes by pointing out Dan Quayle wasn't Jack Kennedy.  George H. W. Bush didn't lose because he looked at his watch, he lost because of the recession.  Al Gore didn't "lose" because he kept on saying lockbox like a septa looking after a lord's daughter. 

I know the media has every reason to hype this shit up, but I'd just like some talking head to just once be like, "well, like I said earlier Anderson, this debate was going to be pointless and have zero campaign effect, and sure enough I was right again."  And their lack of effect, btw, is a good thing.  As long as the media insists on dramatizing joint press conferences instead of actual debates, they wholly deserve to be cast as vapid theatrics that no American in their right mind should be persuaded by in the slightest.

Archived