Star Wars - Andor Spoilers (And Scot's Old Ass TV)

Relic

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Another clue that of the passage of time is that Dedra has been traveling between Ferrix and Coruscant. This is not a show where characters just teleport. When she receives the news about the capture of a rebel pilot she says she doesn't have the time to travel to the respective location so she'll interogate remotely.

Ah...the old, "How long did Luke really train with Yoda if the Millenium Falcon went straight to Cloud City and how long could that really take?" Debate...

56 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Ah...the old, "How long did Luke really train with Yoda if the Millenium Falcon went straight to Cloud City and how long could that really take?" Debate...

If only they'd shown Harrison Ford growing a beard as they traveled at sub-light speed...

6 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Just a few random thoughts.

1. I think the extent of Luke's training is what we saw.  Why would Vader wait for the Falcon to arrive at Bespin when Fett could immediately communicate where the Falcon is?  

2. Luke can apparently become really great at things with virtually no training.  I still don't understand how Luke could survive the assault on the Death Star in the original Star Wars movie, considering how prior to the movie he had never flown in space, and certainly never had any combat experience with enemies actively trying to kill him.  At least in TESB, Luke gets completely owned by Vader (when Vader decides in part 3 of the fight to start trying).

3. I am surprised to hear the amount of intense hate for the Obi-Wan series.  Aside from Part 4, which is Attack of the Clones level bad (maybe even worse), I quite enjoyed the show.  With that being said, I definitely have a soft spot for the Prequels, especially Revenge of the Sith (which is my second favorite Star Wars movie).

4. Andor is on a completely different level.  It's crazy how good it is.  I wasn't a huge fan of Rogue One, mainly because I didn't understand who these characters were, so I was hesitant to watch the show.  I've been totally blown away by Andor, and now appreciate Rogue One much more (although I still don't like CGI Tarkin or Leia).  Nearly every character and every plotline is interesting.  Oddly enough, I am most curious to see where Syril's story goes at this point.

9 hours ago, Maltaran said:

I don’t think it can be too long just because of how the ISB investigation is progressing - it seems that it has kept moving forward at a reasonable pace rather than stalling anywhere.

Yeah that's part of why I'm thinking closer to 3 months than 6.

Cassian has been in the prison long enough that he's not just capable, but be "expert" at 100%, making connections outside his table etc. But he's still got the energy of someone that hasn't resigned themselves to the situation/been ground down yet.

Syril has been in his job for quite a while, although a lot of that is prior to Cassian landing in prison. But he's had enough time to get promoted, and it sounded like he's been hanging out in front of the ISB building for at least a few weeks before he manages to run into her and I'd guess there was a couple of weeks minimum before he starts doing that.

A decent amount of time has clearly elapsed with Mon as well. The Ferrix plot has had the least evidence of time passing since Cassian went in, so I don't think that's useful.

I've looked at episode 8 carefully to see if anyone's shift screen could be seen between the two episodes. Episode 8 starts with one shift and then ends with a shift 30 days later, and then from the end of 8 to episode 9 is uncertain. In episode 9 there seems to be a screen adjacent to Andor's that now says 776 or 778, and _seems_ to have been in the 810s somewhere when Andor was first brought to the cubicles in episode 8. Which suggests not many days -- maybe 10 --  have passed since the ending of the 8th episode, but a few days have anyways.

18 hours ago, Rubicante said:

Why would Vader wait for the Falcon to arrive at Bespin when Fett could immediately communicate where the Falcon is?  

They can be a lot more certain of capturing them if they let them land and disembark than if they try to intercept the Falcon in space again. Also, time dilation; the Empire wouldn't want to tie up a Star Destroyer for months chasing a ship moving at near-light-speed.

2. I still don't understand how Luke could survive the assault on the Death Star in the original Star Wars movie, considering how prior to the movie he had never flown in space, and certainly never had any combat experience with enemies actively trying to kill him.

It's well established in dialogue earlier in the film that he's a great pilot. He definitely has prior experience flying through canyons and shooting at small moving targets, probably flying in space above Tatooine, and it doesn't seem implausible he's been involved in dogfight games with friends. And Obi-wan trained him to be open to what the Force is telling him about his surroundings, which would be very useful in this situation and a lot easier than actively manipulating the Force.

3. I am surprised to hear the amount of intense hate for the Obi-Wan series.

It's entertaining enough, just not Andor quality. Leia is great, but it's a bit silly, fits awkwardly between the movies, and Rebels did a better confrontation with Vader.

4. Andor is on a completely different level.

Yep B)

16 hours ago, karaddin said:

Syril has been in his job for quite a while, although a lot of that is prior to Cassian landing in prison. But he's had enough time to get promoted, and it sounded like he's been hanging out in front of the ISB building for at least a few weeks before he manages to run into her and I'd guess there was a couple of weeks minimum before he starts doing that.

Doesn't he talk about his ISB interview being "last month"? I'd say Andor has been in prison for no more than 5-6 weeks by the end of episode 9.

1 hour ago, felice said:

They can be a lot more certain of capturing them if they let them land and disembark than if they try to intercept the Falcon in space again. Also, time dilation; the Empire wouldn't want to tie up a Star Destroyer for months chasing a ship moving at near-light-speed.

Also, Vader absolutely lives for flashy drama and maximum lulz. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Is this really a thing in Star Wars? I remember someone trying to use it to explain something, but does any character ever acknowledge it? 

Not that I have ever read. In the EU, they travel through hyperspace, which is an alternate dimension, and basically jump great distances.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Is this really a thing in Star Wars? I remember someone trying to use it to explain something, but does any character ever acknowledge it? 

It's not mentioned onscreen, but the writers really wouldn't have wanted to have to insert an explanation of relativity into the ESB script, it's the best explanation for how the Falcon gets to another solar system in a reasonable time (the EU's working backup hyperdrive is silly and has no onscreen evidence), and explains the apparent time discrepancy between Dagobah and the Falcon. The very existence of hyperspace travel is an acknowledgement of the physics of light speed, compared to something like BSG (original) where they just fly fast.

8 minutes ago, felice said:

It's not mentioned onscreen, but the writers really wouldn't have wanted to have to insert an explanation of relativity into the ESB script, it's the best explanation for how the Falcon gets to another solar system in a reasonable time (the EU's working backup hyperdrive is silly and has no onscreen evidence), and explains the apparent time discrepancy between Dagobah and the Falcon. The very existence of hyperspace travel is an acknowledgement of the physics of light speed, compared to something like BSG (original) where they just fly fast.

Yeah, it might be best if we didn't get into that. Another solar system means a few light years at best. Time would still flow normally for everyone else. Which means Vader sat on the trap at Bespin for years ahead of the Falcon arriving there.

15 minutes ago, felice said:

They can just make up the physics of light speed though. I think Interstellar might be the only thing I've seen that acknowledged it.

6 hours ago, felice said:

Doesn't he talk about his ISB interview being "last month"? I'd say Andor has been in prison for no more than 5-6 weeks by the end of episode 9.

Last month can be anywhere from a week or so to almost 2 months. That said with what Ran's added above with the change in sentence remaining I think I was overestimating yeah. I wasn't taking into account Cassian is a very quick study. And Syril is very enthusiastic about boot leather.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Yeah, it might be best if we didn't get into that. Another solar system means a few light years at best. Time would still flow normally for everyone else. Which means Vader sat on the trap at Bespin for years ahead of the Falcon arriving there.

It's several light years from Earth to anywhere else, but some solar systems are much closer together; a few light months from Hoth to Bespin is plausible enough. Vader arrived shortly before the Falcon; Fett presumably contacted him while they were decelerating.

On 11/4/2022 at 2:59 AM, Rubicante said:

2. Luke can apparently become really great at things with virtually no training.  I still don't understand how Luke could survive the assault on the Death Star in the original Star Wars movie, considering how prior to the movie he had never flown in space, and certainly never had any combat experience with enemies actively trying to kill him. 

In addition to what felice said: Luke's experience that is talked about during the briefing was done with a Skyhopper, which is from the same manufacturer as the X-Wing and is noted in pretty much all the background materials since ever to have very similar controls, somehow.

1 hour ago, Toth said:

In addition to what felice said: Luke's experience that is talked about during the briefing was done with a Skyhopper, which is from the same manufacturer as the X-Wing and is noted in pretty much all the background materials since ever to have very similar controls, somehow.

Indeed. Incom manufactured both craft, their controls and flight characterisitics are very similar. I suspect the Skyhopper was used as a terrestrial training aircraft for X-Wing pilots, and probably for Z-95 Headhunter pilots before it.

The "somehow" thing is one of those points I keep getting stuck on with people. In the Star Wars universe, if you can fly a repulsor-driven aircraft, you can fly a starfighter or personal starship -- the controls will be broadly similar, and perhaps even almost exactly the same depending on models of craft, and the principles of flight (you know, banking in space and all) are not dissimilar either.

The same is not true of, say, flying an F-22 and a Space Shuttle. But that's how the Star Wars universe works, and it's how it has always worked.

Given how terrible their software is, it's really quite surprising that they aren't insanely difficult to fly. Their very odd technological development is one of the things that really threatens my suspension of disbelief at times, but it is mostly internally consistent.

Unlike the depiction of droids, that one is all over the place.

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

Given how terrible their software is, it's really quite surprising that they aren't insanely difficult to fly. Their very odd technological development is one of the things that really threatens my suspension of disbelief at times, but it is mostly internally consistent.

Unlike the depiction of droids, that one is all over the place.

I just assume that really smart droids are incredible difficult to build without access to very limited resources unless you are a kid with force powers.

19 hours ago, felice said:

The backup hyperdrive I think is locked into the canon. It has no onscreen evidence, but then there's no onscreen evidence that an artificial gravity generator exists in the SW universe, but blatantly clearly it does. Both the EU and Disney-Canon supporting material state that almost every ship larger than a fighter has a standard hyperdrive (or a souped-up one in the Falcon's case) and a backup one which is significantly smaller and slower but kicks in when the main hyperdrive fails for whatever reason. They point out it'd be ludicrous to have a single point of failure on spacecraft that would result in the ship and crew loss (I think it's even been pointed out it's probable insurance companies would require ships to have them, and employers and clients would want one to ensure their items are delivered, even late).

Archived