Big Tech Twits Get Dumber and Corrupter!

Zorral

56 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

This would be more convincing if Musk wasn't making public announcements that this is all on purpose. 

Musk has typically been bad at long term planning. He probably thought he had a great idea and did it rushed without planning the next step. I'm curious to see what the value of Twitter will be after this move. Every article I've seen has completely shit on this move.

Edited by Tywin et al.

twitterly dee dee -- this entry (as opposed to the comments)  has some serious engineering considerations as to what likely has gone wrong:

https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2023/07/twitter-is-imploding

The owner is imposing limits on free Twitter speech. I am posting screen grabs rather than tweets because it appears that multiple things are going wrong. People started getting “rate limit” notices earlier today: “You are over your rate limit. Try later.” This seemed odd to some of them, who were posting their first tweet […]
www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com

1 minute ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I’ll be honest this whole roll out of blue sky offends my sensibilities.

seems elitist.

It's not a rollout, it's a beta test. They have to limit users, so the system doesn't crash when things like this happen and everyone wants to move over before they're ready to take that load. Like you have to assume they're fucking fuming that twitter couldn't hang on a few more months before collapsing like today, but it'll do them no good if too many people join and they crash, either literally or, like, socially*.  

I'm not saying bluesky is gonna be the perfect answer to all social media's woes- as far as I can tell it's just aiming to be twitter again with some differing ideas on the underlying system but the same basic end product. But you're the second person today I've seen make that complaint and it's just not what's happening. 

*that might seem like an airy-fairy pretentious thing to say but there was a pretty literal display of it when it first really bumped in popularity in May, apparently. It didn't have the block function turned on but its userbase jumped hugely over a couple of days and immediately crossed some kind of arsehole threshold and started getting nasty, so they had to implement it overnight. 

9 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That will kill Twitter.  It hasn’t let me update my feed for 45 minutes.

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

According to Musk, it's deliberate, 6000 posts viewable a day for blue subscribers and 600 to non-subscribers.

No way they did that on purpose. Like I believe they were planning a feature of that description, sure, hence the 'rate limited' message. But no chance they turned it on, with that limited a viewcount, on purpose.

I just woke up to this confirmation of it being exactly what my speculation suggested it would be, but the numbers that I used (thinking they were absurdly low) are actually 72 times higher than what he initially implement. AND the interval is ridiculously long, even x tweets an hour is too long for what Twitter is meant to be, but a day?

Yeah that's actually killing the platform.

I assume that after failure to pay the bill their compute resources are being heavily throttled and this is all it can manage without falling over, but falling over would probably be less alienating to users than functionally disabling it's entire point.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

This would be more convincing if Musk wasn't making public announcements that this is all on purpose. 

1 - Musk is almost certainly lying given the timing with Twitter refusing to pay its google cloud bill.

2 - Musk will blame the flunky for not paying the google cloud bill, claiming it is her (?) responsibility (despite her probably not having the authority to do so.}

I have the dark suspicion - nothing more than that - that Twitters demise is intentional, part of a 'from on high' campaign to suppress national/global communication/news between ordinary people. Autocrat - people like Musk - tend to suppress such.

I'm genuinely stunned at how fucking stupid this is. I thought he was an idiot, but I at least thought he had a basic understanding of the platform. Twitter relies on a high volume of low "value" content, any power user has a ton of posts in their feed that they aren't interested in and your job as a business is to get them to keep scrolling past that stuff and seeing your ads. This is going to get them to stop looking at your app completely and even if they don't you're literally limiting the ads they can see to 800/n per day (where n the ratio of regular tweets to ads. Even with a ratio so high it actually pisses people off, like 1 ad to 3 regular tweets that's only 200 ads a day before the platform won't let you see anything.

4 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

1 - Musk is almost certainly lying given the timing with Twitter refusing to pay its google cloud bill.

I know he's lying. The point is that he's currently still making out it's his decision. If he was gonna blame the flunky he'd be doing it already. He's essentially directly taken responsibility for the problem. He might yet attempt to blame her anyway in the end, but if it was his plan to do so, he wouldn't be trying to ride it out by claiming this is on purpose, he'd be going 'oh shit guys she killed it will be fixed asap'. 

Still currently completely non-functional for me.

Edited by polishgenius

I have a Twitter account that has never posted a single Tweet; I follow maybe 12 people and it only perpetuates because Chrome won't let me log out, and occasionally these forum links send me off-site to actual Twitter.

In the long run, I'm quite sad about Elon Musk's character arc. This is a nerdy forum and we all have read a ton of sci-fi. When this diamond-mine-financed dynamo had an electric car company, and was also pushing for off-world colonization, I thought he was a truly rare leader. Erp, no, he's just another sociopathic self-aggrandizing lunatic, and has abandoned any forward-thinking societal change instead opting to crater a $50 billion dollar company and vastly influential online service, ruining hundreds of careers, because of an ongoing temper tantrum.