Star Wars: The Wrong Trousers

polishgenius

2 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Carrie Fisher gave them permission to do that and was still alive when rogue one came out.

Didn't she die, the day before or after it came out? It was very creepy regardless, but not as creepy as her scenes in episode IX. That was a whole other level of disrespect.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

Didn't she die, the day before or after it came out? It was very creepy regardless, but not as creepy as her scenes in episode IX. That was a whole other level of disrespect.

No, and no it wasn't creepy as she died suddenly without warning.

It was certainly uncanny as deep fake wasn't any good then. It is now. So absolutely yes that will happen again. James earl Jones has already given his blessing for them to use the computer that can simulate his voice saying anything. 

8 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

No, and no it wasn't creepy as she died suddenly without warning.

It was certainly uncanny as deep fake wasn't any good then. It is now. So absolutely yes that will happen again. James earl Jones has already given his blessing for them to use the computer that can simulate his voice saying anything. 

I'm alright when it comes to James Earl Jones, because he was just dubbing over lines. Voice actors get replaced all the time. Using CGI to bring a dead actor back to life is just creepy. It's basically Disney using necromancy as far as I'm concerned; a joke me and my friends often use, when mocking Disney and the ethics the company pretends to have.

I really enjoyed Rogue One, and will be revisiting it soon. It would have been cool to see some of the shots that were there in the trailer but didn't make the final cut as things got changed a decent amount.

Will say that Tarkin's eyes looked haunted and fucking awful, every time he was on screen I was like 'i don't want to see this at all'

2 hours ago, sifth said:

when mocking Disney and the ethics the company pretends to have.

There are a whole hell of a lot of unethical things Disney engages in.  Using Carrie Fisher's or Cushing's likeness in Rogue One really isn't one of them.

Edited by DMC
Cushing not Pershing

The worst thing about CGI Tarkin for me is that it is a decision that is going to age really quickly and make the movie look worse over time. It didn’t look great when Rogue One came out but now it looks horrible, and that’s only going to get worse.

They should just ban this technology and pretend we can’t do it. Would anyone have complained if they had another actor play the role?

22 hours ago, sifth said:

I mean they could have just called up Wayne Pygram to play Tarkin, he looks a lot like Peter Cushing anyway. As for Leia, all they needed to do was the hand off, with the hood up; there was no need to show us her face.

I was sad when they failed to insert even a single Farscape into the scenes that featured him. 

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The worst thing about CGI Tarkin for me is that it is a decision that is going to age really quickly and make the movie look worse over time. It didn’t look great when Rogue One came out but now it looks horrible, and that’s only going to get worse.

They should just ban this technology and pretend we can’t do it. Would anyone have complained if they had another actor play the role?

Plus Wayne Pygram looks 90% like Peter Cushing and has already played Tarkin in the prequels. Why they didn't just call him up and instead use CGI, which is probably more expensive, is beyond me.

On 4/25/2023 at 6:02 AM, sifth said:

As for Leia, all they needed to do was the hand off, with the hood up; there was no need to show us her face.

Alternatively they could have watched Star Wars and had the transmission beamed over as was established. 

9 hours ago, Heartofice said:

While I certainly agree with you in principal about another actor...the answer to the question of who'd com plain about another actor in the role? 

You. The answer is most likely you. Because it would be something else to complain about.  ""Why even use another actor? What's the point???"

But I might be guessing there... :P

Edited by Jaxom 1974

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Alternatively they could have watched Star Wars and had the transmission beamed over as was established. 

Plus, how exactly did Vader track Leia's ship in this scenario? Hyperspace tracking is difficult, pretty much impossible up until The Last Jedi. Vader was left looking in space as the Tantive IV took off. His slow walking ass  went back to his ship and they were able to take off in high pursuit and catch-up to the Tantive before Leia even had a chance to contact Obi-Wan?

Whereas in the original, the Imperials had traced the transmission to the Tantive IV.

20 hours ago, DMC said:

I mean, you could level this same criticism at ANH.  Luke, obviously, wasn't involved in the rebellion before the movie starts.  Granted, his family played a key role - just like Jyn's.  There's only one member of the main gang that's been involved in the rebellion - Leia - just as there's only one for Rogue One with Cassian.  To each their own of course, but I don't view this as a legitimate detriment to the film.

Also, obviously, there are a bunch of randos that join "Rogue One" in the Yavin scenes that have been fighting the rebellion.

I'd never praise ANH as a great(ly plotted) movie ... but it actually does take time and effort to explain why Luke would leave Tatooine with Ben, etc. That he ends up flying the attack run on the Death Star is because he has the talents and there is pretty much no other option. We also get a decent amount of bonding between Han and Luke/Leia to explain why Han would, in the end, come back.

Now ... going on some kind of suicidal mission so a craven and ineffective rebel movement you are not actually a part of is something entirely different. Also picking up randos on a random mission.

I mean, if you think about it that's like assuming, say, random Frenchmen with no political affiliation is going to spearhead the efforts of the Resistance.

Using the basic plot of ANH as a kind of template for RO was just a mistake.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

They had the problem that ANH established that the information was not in the corvette's database, so basically they had to have a hard copy of it somehow being made.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Plus, how exactly did Vader track Leia's ship in this scenario? Hyperspace tracking is difficult, pretty much impossible up until The Last Jedi.

Per the canon Encyclopedia booklets, a compromised droid (U-3PO, the other protocol droid also seen on the Tantive IV at the start) sent a signal that the Empire traced, and a visual dictionary also notes that damage to the Tantive IV that had been left unrepaired before it scrambled to Scarif led to a "hyperfuel leak" that was also traceable.

I get the feeling the ending was changed in post to line up exactly where ANH starts. I wouldn’t be shocked if Vader wasn’t even in the original cut of the film. He’s such a non character in RO.

1 minute ago, sifth said:

I get the feeling the ending was changed in post to line up exactly where ANH starts. I wouldn’t be shocked if Vader wasn’t even in the original cut of the film. He’s such a non character in RO.

I believe Gareth Edwards said that the idea came from the editor, but he didn't believe that Disney would ever okay it... and then one day Kathleen Kennedy came in as they were editing, three or four months from release, and the editor mentioned the idea and she loved it. Two weeks later, they were at Pinewood filming it.

So, yes, it was a late addition.

32 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I'd never praise ANH as a great(ly plotted) movie ... but it actually does take time and effort to explain why Luke would leave Tatooine with Ben, etc. That he ends up flying the attack run on the Death Star is because he has the talents and there is pretty much no other option. We also get a decent amount of bonding between Han and Luke/Leia to explain why Han would, in the end, come back.

Now ... going on some kind of suicidal mission so a craven and ineffective rebel movement you are not actually a part of is something entirely different. Also picking up randos on a random mission.

I mean, if you think about it that's like assuming, say, random Frenchmen with no political affiliation is going to spearhead the efforts of the Resistance.

I disagree with the bolded, the movie outlined pretty much all of the members of Rogue One's reasons and motivations for joining the the mission.  Jyn obviously wanting to vindicate her father and prove that he was not just another evil Imperial scientist, but a man working on the inside against the Empire, plus there was an element of revenge for the deaths of her mother, father, and mentor Saw.    Cassian believed Jyn and wanted redemption for the many underhanded and questionable things he done in the name of the rebellion.  Chirrut and Baze had just experienced the power of the Death Star as it destroyed their home and believed it needed to be destroyed and had faith that this was the way.   Bodhi had basically already been recruited by Jyn's father, convinced that he had to do what he could to fight against the Empire.   Sergeant Melshi and the rest of the spies that joined them all had similar motivations as Cassian, they had been doing questionable things to support the rebellion and this was a more straight forward, black and white mission, they could feel good about.   Plus due to theirs and Cassian's backgrounds they would have found it easier to believe that Jyn's father had been been playing a long game to bring down the Empire, than the more straightforward leaders of the rebellion could. 

11 minutes ago, Ran said:

Per the canon Encyclopedia booklets, a compromised droid (U-3PO, the other protocol droid also seen on the Tantive IV at the start) sent a signal that the Empire traced, and a visual dictionary also notes that damage to the Tantive IV that had been left unrepaired before it scrambled to Scarif led to a "hyperfuel leak" that was also traceable.

Thank you for this explanation. I wish we didn't have to resort to another media to get explanations for a plot point.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

Can you give us all the deets that led you write 3,000 words in you previous 2 posts?

42 minutes ago, Ran said:

I believe Gareth Edwards said that the idea came from the editor, but he didn't believe that Disney would ever okay it... and then one day Kathleen Kennedy came in as they were editing, three or four months from release, and the editor mentioned the idea and she loved it. Two weeks later, they were at Pinewood filming it.

So, yes, it was a late addition.

Would explain why certain things don’t quite match up, like the R2D2 and C-3PO cameo being at the rebel base when the ships are taking off and not simply them on Leia’s ship at the end and the two guys that attack Luke must have left that city on the spot and went right to Tatooine that very day.

Edited by sifth