U.S. Politics: Great Men Master trends

Jace, Extat

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Well… this is interesting:

Anything Peter Thiel publicly puts out has only a passing chance of truth. 

If he's not getting involved in 2024 its because (i) he wasted a ton of money in 2022; (ii) he doesn't think the Republicans can win with DJT; (iii) he's already collected on the carrot of his support when JD Vance got Trump's endorsement. 

Now it's time to repay the Trumps and he's getting calls from Junior, he's welching out.  Ego, greed and stinginess are better explanations of batshit billionaire behavior than whatever their communication flacks decide to put out.  My guess is he doesn't give a shit about abortion or trans rights just because he's gay or libertarian.  He just thinks they are electoral losers.  

12 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I try not to be ageist, so I'm going to go with option 2. Though how strange is that even, when you have hundred's of thousands, maybe even millions of super religious people with apparently more loyalty and attachment to Trump than to Jesus Himself?

Don't speak ill of American Jesus.

Would love seeing stutterting John (ex of Howard Stern show) do a bunch of interviews to evangelical Republicans asking them if Jesus was a white American. A significant percentage would believe and answer affirmative to that nonsensical query, many likely adding his papa, Gawd, was/is surely a white male American as well.

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

they have “blood on their hands” for the bill.

They are all murderers.  We need, the frakin' Dems, need to stop being so coy about this.  These are election winning issues because all the states banning women's reproductive health care in all the ways that intersect with all the other parts of medical care are committing murder.  This cannot be denied no matter how insanely they howl prolife.  In their mouths that is how they say murder.

I have been in a librarians' meeting this morning.  There was no shrinking from uttering that word when speaking of These Ilks.

22 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Criminalization of gender conformity(except in the possible cases of mockery) and trans people was always the goal.

Also stuff like this is why pretending terms like “biological man” and “biological woman” are valid is dangerous imo.

Let's hope some employees issue their own memorandum to this rat fucker in the form of a lawsuit. Texas can get fucked.

12 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Man with shit on his heel pauses after tromping across the carpet and asks, "What's that smell?" Ah, the pyrrhic triumphs of this circling-the-drain stage of our political culture.

Not that anybody here cares, but the Republican House somehow managed to pass a budget that comes chock full of ugly budget cuts. It might be interesting to see how many of those cuts remain after its inevitable rejection and subsequent horse trading.

House passes GOP debt limit plan with deep cuts. Pelosi says Republicans are 'playing with fire.' (msn.com)

he GOP's debt ceiling plan, dubbed the "Limit, Save, Grow Act," includes $4.5 trillion in cuts to government spending and returns discretionary spending to fiscal year 2022 levels. 

This includes:

• Rescinding the funding for 87,000 IRS agents
  • Reallocating unspent COVID-19 relief money
  • Eliminating Biden's student loan forgiveness plan
  • Ending tax credits for companies that invest in green energy
  • Raising the age limit to 56 from 50 on work requirements to receive federal food aid from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP
  • Blocking the Biden administration from limiting consumer access to gas stoves or ovens 

These cuts are tied to a $1.5 trillion increase of the debt ceiling until May 2024. 

20 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Since he bought his New Zealand citizenship about 8 years ago, and we have an election this year I'm sure he'll be throwing some of his pocket change our way to help achieve a change of government.

Trump Refused to Take “No” From Women—And Then America
He left office marred by multiple scandals and a violent assault on the Capitol. But before all that, writes E. Jean Carroll, there were the women who accused him of sexual assault.
BY E. JEAN CARROLL

Vanity Fair

Subscription Only; I don't have one, so I'll have to wait until I'm in the library.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/01/donald-trump-refused-to-take-no-from-women-and-then-from-america-itself

Texas Woman Who 'Nearly Died' Savages Ted Cruz At Senate Hearing Over Abortion Ban
Amanda Zurawski, who's suing Texas for its abortion law, castigated Cruz and Sen. John Cornyn in fierce terms.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/amanda-zurawski-ted-cruz-john-cornyn-death-on-their-hands_n_644a56a5e4b0d840388d0de4

Amanda Zurawski tore into GOP Sens. Ted Cruz and John Cornyn of Texas at a Senate hearing on Wednesday over the state’s abortion ban, saying she “nearly died on their watch” after being denied care in a pregnancy crisis.

“I wanted to address my senators, Cruz and Cornyn, neither of whom, regrettably, are in the room right now. But I would like for them to know that what happened to me … it’s a direct result of the policies that they support,” Zurawski said. “I nearly died on their watch and furthermore, as a result of what happened to me, I may have been robbed of the opportunity to have children in the future.”

Zurawski is suing Texas for withholding an abortion as her pregnancy complications became more dire. She said she had been told her baby would not survive, but doctors said they could not offer more care because fetal cardiac activity could still be detected, according to her suit.

Zurawski eventually developed sepsis, and doctors induced labor. She gave birth and the baby died.

Not everyone whose anti-choice is motivated by misogyny.

I do understand some people genuinely believe human life begins at conception 

I disagree and think furthermore that even if that was the case bodily autonomy wins out.

I won’t say holding this stance automatically makes someone a bad person. 

You can always tell the people who are just trying to frame their misogyny as care for children.by virtue of how quickly how they make arguments like this  in this context where it’s obvious the want is to punish women for promiscuity.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

45 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

Isn't it nice to have a Governor who actually cares about people?

50 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:
I do understand some people genuinely believe human life begins at conception 

I won’t say holding this stance automatically makes someone a bad person. 

Except the people who hold this stance also overwhelmingly don't want to help actual babies/kids. If you believe life begins at conception while at the same time want to defund programs to help needy kids and parents, you really need to look in the mirror. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Isn't it nice to have a Governor who actually cares about people?

Except the people who hold this stance also overwhelmingly don't want to help actual babies/kids. If you believe life begins at conception while at the same time want to defund programs to help needy kids and parents, you really need to look in the mirror. 

And legislators too

The poll results are not that surprising. What is a bit surprising is that it was done by FOX news.

Fox News Poll: Voters favor gun limits over arming citizens to reduce gun violence (msn.com)

After a series of mass shootings this spring, including the killing of several students at a private Christian school in Tennessee, voters would prefer focusing on specific gun control measures rather than arming citizens to reduce gun violence.

A new Fox News Poll finds most voters favor the following proposals:

-- Requiring criminal background checks on all gun buyers (87%)

-- Improving enforcement of existing gun laws (81%)

-- Raising the legal age to buy a gun to 21 (81%)

-- Requiring mental health checks on gun buyers (80%)

-- Allowing police to take guns from those considered a danger to themselves or others (80%)

-- Requiring a 30-day waiting period for all gun purchases (77%)

Somehow, I can almost envision this character getting elected to the House or maybe even the Senate. He might make the likes of MTG look sane...and disturbingly enough, many of the commentors agreed with him...

Pastor Derails Ohio House Hearing By Raving About Demons (msn.com)

In this video, Columbus-area pastor Stuart Long completely derails a discussion about a controversial new bill banning gender-affirming care for trans youth. Here, he opines incoherently about the danger of being possessed by demons if you don’t practice Christianity. (He specifically says that people who aren’t Christian cannot speak aloud a certain sentence that apparently makes them demon-proof.) To most people listening, he sounds unhinged, but it's clear he believes this is a perfectly reasonable thing to say, and it's probably something he and his congregation talk about regularly. 

How scary is that?

Long goes so far as to suggest that members of the Ohio government who are not in support of this bill are indeed letting demons speak through them.

When Representative Beth Liston called him out on this outrageous claim, she was told by officials in the committee to get back to discussion of the bill. But this man was talking about the bill too, and he was using it to slander members of the Ohio House.