Titanic Horror! Tourist Submersible Goes Missing While Attempting to View Wreckage of Titanic.

Parsons

5 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I do have some sympathy for the teenager who apparently did not want to go but was dragged along by his father. He certainly did not deserve this fate (not to say the others did; rich people dying for being rich is just slightly tarring with a broad brush).

There’s another wrinkle that people seem to be missing. The coverage likely has more to do with “Titanic” than anything else. Not that these guys were rich or that the sub was janky.

I'm sure there is a balance to be had between the 'eat the rich' and 'brave explorers who met a tragic end' approaches. Similarly, the same could be said about the breathless coverage of the rescue efforts versus the near radio silence about the fate of the migrants (tbh, I am disappointed with the Guardian for the former). Probably has to do with the level of polarization in the world.

4 hours ago, Ran said:

Recovery attempts and investigation is going to happen regardless of what acoustics indicate. While they had a strong reason to believe it was the sound of an implosion, they couldn't be sure until they found the debris.

I wouldnt discount 'national security' as a reason too, with the US Navy wanting to keep its detection capabilities (and locations of those assets) secret.

Just now, IheartIheartTesla said:

I wouldnt discount 'national security' as a reason too, with the US Navy wanting to keep its detection capabilities (and locations of those assets) secret.

Yes, that too. I suspect they won't release the audio they have for that reason.

And it's quite reasonable to avoid disclosing capabilities which may harm national security when you know the people in question are dead. There's only a more complex equation there when your info points to them being alive and could maybe save them.

53 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

There’s another wrinkle that people seem to be missing. The coverage likely has more to do with “Titanic” than anything else. Not that these guys were rich or that the sub was janky.

I didn't miss that, as evidenced in one of my comments above. So if I didn't, a lot of others haven't either.  It's just that the 'media' isn't bothering to mention that because it spoils their click narratives.

People with more money than brains continually provide news we can shake our heads and tut tut at.  Was it only a few years ago that a flat earther built a homemade rocket so he could refute that the earth is an oblate spheroid? He won a Darwin Award also, just as the submersible builder did. I will boldly predict that every year we will see people firmly grasp their shaky knowledge of physics and engineering and try to achieve 'greatness'. Their Darwin Awards await.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Why the Missing Submarine Didn’t Need to Pass a Federal Safety Check

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/06/missing-titanic-sub-federal-safety-laws.html

Another thing about this: this is a community that does actually self regulate in an effective way. Partly because it’s small, but also because the people in this community have the proper expertise and respect for each others expertise. The ones that don’t, don’t last long.

When Cameron went to the bottom of the Mariana trench, it was in an experimental vessel. It likely included many novel innovations. But I guarantee you it leaned heavily on the totality of expertise and experience in the field, it was properly engineered and tested, and there was no question about the materials or fabrication methods used to build it.

Oceangate was warned and the ignored the warnings.

And as Cameron is not getting tired to stress. While his vessel was also experimental (as in not certified), he didn't take anybody else for the ride. The only people using it, were him and his engineer. So if things had gone sideways, it would've been just him. And Cameron appaently knows what he's doing.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

5 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And as Cameron is not getting tired to stress. While his vessel was also experimental (as in not certified), he didn't take anybody else for the ride. The only people using him, were him and his engineer. So if things had gone sideways, it would've been just him. And Cameron appaently knows what he's doing.

For sure. If you’re a company chartered in either the US or Canada, you should not be able to take paying customers to those depths in an “experimental” vehicle. Simple.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Oceangate was warned and the ignored the warnings.

You know what else I don't like?  That the caption writer for that Slate story I linked to used 'submarine', not 'submersible'. :rolleyes:

On 6/23/2023 at 3:21 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I understand cruelty can be an expression of power and having power is fun.

Schadenfreude is not power. I hope I personally never sink so low as to rejoice in other human beings' deaths, but to view this as cruel is still getting the story backwards.

Edited by Rippounet

50 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Also, I can’t stress enough, any talk about how “innovative” this sub design was is rendered moot by the fact that there are five corpses and a destroyed submersible at the bottom of the ocean. Period.

"Innovative" is moot by the mere fact that people have been down the 3-times deeper Challenger Deep more than 60 years ago.

1 hour ago, Clueless Northman said:

"Innovative" is moot by the mere fact that people have been down the 3-times deeper Challenger Deep more than 60 years ago.

Not really. Deeper mostly just means, “build it to withstand higher pressures”. That’s oversimplifying somewhat but that’s basically it.

Assuming this was a hull failure, and considering it failed at not its maximum depth, I’d say this is the end for this particular innovation vector. 

2 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Schandefreude is not power. I hope I personally never sink so low as to rejoice in other human beings' deaths, but to view this as cruel is still getting the story backwards.

Pandemic made life tougher for everyone except the 1%. Everything is more goddamn expensive yet our world-owning corporations are richer and more powerful than ever. A growing level of hostility to the billionaire class seems like the frog finally realizing that the water is fucking hot.

38 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Not really. Deeper mostly just means, “build it to withstand higher pressures”. 

That's what she said?

33 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Pandemic made life tougher for everyone except the 1%. Everything is more goddamn expensive yet our world-owning corporations are richer and more powerful than ever. A growing level of hostility to the billionaire class seems like the frog finally realizing that the water is fucking hot.

Yep. And in turn our lovely friends at the Fed have made life harder on the poor, working and middle classes while Congress dumps money on the wealthy. Great economic policy!