Ukraine: Breakthroughs… the vast majority of us hope…

10 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yeah, nevermind the official report (co-authored by Polish and Russian investigators), because the folks from piss party with the remaining half of the clown twins is promoting some conspiracy theory, they regularly use for political gain.

Wikipedia link. Just scroll down, they have links to the official reports in Polish and English.

Long story short. Unsafe low visibility approach by the pilots caused this crash.

Can't find a link right now, but from what I remember, the pilot (an Air Force captain) was bullied into the reckless landing attempt by his big shot passengers, particularly the Air Force Chief of Staff. It was the Poles, not the Russians, who wanted the truth suppressed and blame it on the pilot alone to avoid embarrassment. 

10 minutes ago, Loge said:

Can't find a link right now, but from what I remember, the pilot (an Air Force captain) was bullied into the reckless landing attempt by his big shot passengers, particularly the Air Force Chief of Staff. It was the Poles, not the Russians, who wanted the truth suppressed and blame it on the pilot alone to avoid embarrassment. 

You fly the plane, you are in charge. (Not) Flying to the alternate airport was the decission for the pilot. Arguably not a good career move, but crashing the plane wasn't a good career move either.  Ultimately it was his decission to try that difficult landing at an airfield he was not familiar with.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

11 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You fly the plane, you are in charge. (Not) Flying to the alternate airport was the decission for the pilot. Arguably not a good career move, but crashing the plane wasn't a good career move either.  Ultimately it was his decission to try that difficult landing at an airfield he was not familiar with.

True, but tell that to an old general who grew up in the Soviet / Warsaw Pact system. Taking no for an answer from a mere captain probably isn't something they're accustomed to. Of course the pilot should have stood up to them, but that may have ended his career, too. This seems to be a wider issue in post-Warsaw Pact forces, BTW. The older, and more senior folks still follow the old rules.

Anyway, the story may have been retracted, as I can't find a good source anymore. It definitely was run by a reputable source a couple of years ago. 

46 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Bets on Prigozhin's last words being "you're fired!"?

No idea, if he was still conscious long enough to form and verbalize that thought. Part of me likes to think that they were alive and conscious on their way down (just because they were such quality human beings).

Anyway, the Wagner Security Service are the folks that intimidate and harass journalists and lawyers, and police the Wagner Mercs (basically, that they don't talk and are loyal to the course). I don't think checking for Russian AA defenses was part of his job.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

No idea, if he was still conscious long enough to form and verbalize that thought. Part of me likes to think that they were alive and conscious on their way down (just because they were such quality human beings).

Anyway, the Wagner Security Service are the folks that intimidate and harass journalists and lawyers, and police the Wagner Mercs (basically, that they don't talk and are loyal to the course). I don't think checking for Russian AA defenses was part of his job.

There’s video in twitter of the plane crashing - it was falling for a good whike, spinning

Found a source after all, albeit in German:

https://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/unglueck-von-smolensk-russischer-absturzbericht-empoert-kaczynski-bruder-a-739154.html

Schuld treffe den polnischen Kommandeur Andrzej Blasik, der mit 0,6 Promille Alkohol im Blut trotz Warnungen der russischen Flugüberwachung die Piloten zur Landung gezwungen habe, sagte die Luftfahrtexpertin Tatjana Anodina bei der Veröffentlichung des russischen Abschlussberichts. 

Blasik habe laut Stimmenrekorder direkt im Cockpit Druck auf die Piloten ausgeübt, sagte Anodina. Auch Kaczynskis Protokollchef habe sich vorschriftswidrig in der Pilotenkanzel aufgehalten.

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Ukraine raids Crimea by sea

Huge news, which got overshadowed by Prigozhin's and Utkin's denazification.

The targets of the raid were Russian Nebo-M radar complex and EW systems. Nebo-M is supposedly capable of detecting stealth planes and it covered southern Ukraine with its range. Probably the most valuable single Russian military target that was taken out in this war.

In addition to taking out the S-400 and S-300 systems in Crimea yesterday, it looks like preparation for the arrival of F-16s, and (considering the location) for a potential crossing of the Dnipro.

42 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The irony of Roger Waters speaking out against supporting Ukraine becomes more apparent by the moment.

:facepalm:

The rest of Pink Floyd is still pretty cool though.  All but Waters reunited to make this song and video a year ago.  

David Gilmour has connections to Ukraine through his daughter-in-law, a Ukrainian born artist

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-61037080

Edited by SpaceChampion

51 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Not bothering to click/read it.

I just assume that Farrow arrived at the conclusion, that Musk (via star link) plays a decissive role in the conflict, and that he has cut some of his support to Ukraine (star link coverage). If so, nothing new. But welcome to the party Ronan. :dunno:

Did he add anything new, or was that it?

23 hours ago, Relic said:

Russian in charge of the Russian investigation? Putin.

Nevermind that the airport was closed due to bad weather.

Believe what you want, I guess. Might as well believe today's aircraft malfunction was totally inevitable, as well. 

The Polish leadership pressured the pilot to land anyway despite the weather. This was 100% a case of a pilot doing unsafe maneuvers to please his boss and feeling the pressure of the VIPs in the back. The plane left Poland, there was an alternate airport available, it's really hard to see how the Russians could plausibly be blamed for the crash.

Here is an exhaustive write up on the details.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not bothering to click/read it.

I just assume that Farrow arrived at the conclusion, that Musk (via star link) plays a decissive role in the conflict, and that he has cut some of his support to Ukraine (star link coverage). If so, nothing new. But welcome to the party Ronan. :dunno:

Did he add anything new, or was that it?

He added quite a bit that was new - quite a bit of how much asskissing the US has to do to Musk to get him to do anything vaguely human, how worried Musk is about his stuff being used for military purposes, how much actual control Musk has about major parts of the US infrastructure and tech capacity that is...not ideal.