Should listening to audiobooks really be considered as ‘reading’ ?

I love well-narrated audiobooks. Really don't care if it's 'reading' or not. Romans of wealth and leisure often used slaves as lectores to speak texts to them, appreciating the bloody awful poetic metres all the more because they were read aloud; they loved audiobooks too. (Note: please do not enslave anyone blessed with a good voice and keep them as your reading slave. Based on Zorral's post, it's clear that this is what partners/spouses et al. are intended for.) 

I suppose audiobooks can feel like a bit of a cheat because, assuming it's fiction, the narrator makes some characterisation choices for you, provides the cadences and quirks that you'd otherwise have to rely on your imagination to provide. On the other hand, by listening to a narrator, you can potentially gain some imaginative range yourself, because you're hearing a version of the work that you would never have created. 

These days I'm quite jittery and restless; I find it hard to settle to reading on paper/Kindle unless it's something plot-driven. I tend to make slightly less conservative choices with audio, and find it easier to get through the waffly passages in non-fiction with a narrator pushing me. Additionally, there's a huge swathe of people – with types of dyslexia, with visual impairments, blind – who access all kinds of writing entirely through audio*, and don't seem to suffer for it in the least. 

eta * or braille

Edited by dog-days

38 minutes ago, dog-days said:

On the other hand, by listening to a narrator, you can potentially gain some imaginative range yourself, because you're hearing a version of the work that you would never have created. 

That was the case certainly, when I listened to audio versions of the Patrick O'Brian Maturin and Aubrey novels -- just reading them -- often while commuting etc., -- I entirely missed how much (very deft) comedy was in many scenes of those first volumes to be published here.

While Partner and I often tackle dense texts with footnotes and references in our read-alouds to each other, when it comes to ebooks for me, I don't, for obvious reasons.  It's almost entirely fiction in that format for me.  We have the actual book in our hands reading aloud, so we can go to the footnotes and so on as called for.  It's much too much of a chore to even try doing that with an ebook.

Edited by Zorral

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

That was the case certainly, when I listened to audio versions of the Patrick O'Brian Maturin and Aubrey novels -- just reading them -- often while commuting etc., -- I entirely missed how much (very deft) comedy was in many scenes of those first volumes to be published here.

While Partner and I often tackle dense texts with footnotes and references in our read-alouds to each other, when it comes to ebooks for me, I don't, for obvious reasons.  It's almost entirely fiction in that format for me.  We have the actual book in our hands reading aloud, so we can go to the footnotes and so on as called for.  It's much too much of a chore to even try doing that with an ebook.

The Patrick Tull narrated Aubrey-Maturin books are a work of art unto themselves.  

I just don’t have the time or luxury of being able to sit down and read a book any more, that’s adulthood. I always envy people who have so little to do that they can just sit and read! 

Audiobooks are a great multitasker, and maybe the only way I would have managed to read anything these past few years. 

But wow does the narrator make a difference, the amount of bland American narrators out there, monotonously drawling over the content makes a lot of books a no go for audiobooking. When you get a good narrator you need to cherish them! 

I read printed books and listen to audiobooks too. Both serve different purposes and provide different experiences. Both are enriching and beautiful in their own way. I would encourage everybody to do both to enjoy the different benefits.

Footnote: I think there’s nothing wrong with bringing up provocative topics and exchanging opposing ideas in a respectful and matter of fact way. It broadens one’s horizon, makes one think and reconsider their view and maybe find at least one new idea one hasn’t yet thought about. And I also think reading isn’t and shouldn’t be luxury. 

Well, none of that "new and different" happened here did it?  Nor, evidently learning something about what wasn't known before, such as the privileged have historically always complained that others, who have less money and leisure time and even education for that matter, getting access to entertainment and education in a way different from HOW WE DO IT, and how we guard that privilege with our (considerable) power to cut off access as we like to our lessers, which include, doncha ever forget it, women and the poors. :rofl:

Tell people who spend all their days working, getting to work, work that doesn't even pay a living wage, getting home from work, having to do housework and childcare as well, that reading isn't a luxury. Shit listening to a pod cast is a luxury. Having the wherewithall to buy a device and a service to LISTEN to anything is a luxury, one beyond the means of many if not most people on the planet.

Edited by Zorral

On a side note: I’m a full time professional in the corporate world (tech), and am able to find time on the weekend to read quite easily, while also maintaining a healthy social life. Granted I’m not married or have kids but I do have a lot of responsibilities that every adult goes through on a day to day basis…

I’m just tired of hearing from people on this thread about how ‘little ‘ I have to do…I pay the bills all the same. 

I can manage adulthood just fine, thanks guys… 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

21 hours ago, Deedles said:

I find I don’t engage with audiobooks as much as when I read. I can zone out and miss 10-20 minutes. However, I do enjoy them, so typically buy audiobooks of books I reward enjoyed. Guy Gabriel Kay and Lois McMaster Bujold being most recent examples. 

Ohmigods...anything Kay, read by Simon Vance...just amazing. (Really any Kay, but especially the Vance read ones.)  Because I don't always pay attention overall, I prefer audiobooks I've read personally so if I do zone and miss a passage or two, I'm good overall...yet I find the need to pay attention to Kaybstories, regardless of how often I've already read and/or listened to them...I'm currently on a second listen of All the Seas of the World...

Now you're being silly!!!!!!! as well as ignoring what the other posters have posted.:rofl:  Nor has anyone mentioned what we have learned by criticizing and looking down on people who listen to audio books in preference to holding a book in their hand in front of their eyes.  The exception is that we've learned a very short-sighted, historically ignorant,  privileged, unmarried, childless male looks down on women who listen to audio books.  May as well criticize them also for listening to -- gosh -- music!

After all, all of us here who listen also hold print books in our hands -- probably more than we listen for sure -- and we speak of where and when there are drawback -- for both forms.  We have certainly learned a great deal of why the ancient human practice of oral-audio storytelling has never fallen out of practice, from reading to our children, to listening to writer read their work, to university lectures, to people who use audio books like radio, and so much more.  Which all contradict the perspective out of which the OP posted in the first place.

Have all the points been covered? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  :rofl:

Edited by Zorral

You know, I've never listened to an audio book. When I'm drawing or writing the go to is always music. While driving, music or news [usually the former] same with the gym though I've really fallen off there since the advent of covid. 

This thread's inspired me to give it a go. 

Well, if you speak to people who have their books recorded for audio issue, yes, they listen in order to catch problems, such as possible mispronunciation, etc.

It's seldom though that audio companies allow the authors to read their own books. They want professionals for many reasons that are all good reasons.

Reading for recording an audio edition is a lot more complicated than most people realize. And that includes actors, and professionals who are experienced to being on stage, performing, with microphones.

P.S. An exception that comes immediately to mind is David McCullough reading his own, vastly cut down, Truman.  The unabridged version of the biography runs something like 1200 pp.! This abridged, audio version is about 6 hours. 

https://www.audiobooks.com/audiobook/33119/?

There is an Audible, that McCullough doesn't narrate though, and it's about 54 hours.

Edited by Zorral

I feel like there is a bit of talking past each other going on in this topic. Obviously listening to an audiobook is just as valid and informative as reading a paperback book. But reading as a skill is pretty obviously different then listening to an audiobook, I'm surprised so many posters are ignoring that. Reading is a skill like any other that we can practice and get better at and is fundamentally different from listening.